And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2017, 10:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I wouldn't be so sure. His agent and the Sox don't exactly have a great relationship. I worry about us being able to keep him long term
Well they are certainly not going to rush into it with him 2 years from even being arbitration eligible.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-12-2017, 10:46 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Well they are certainly not going to rush into it with him 2 years from even being arbitration eligible.
Right, there is no rush to trade Rodon but I doubt he is here long term given Boras as his agent. A couple years down the road I can see him being moved for a position player or two to fill whatever holes we have at the time.

All the more reason why getting best available prospects now regardless of position is wise. I'd love to see some quality hitters coming in now but if it is more pitching so be it.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:13 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Carlos Rodon will be entering arbitration once this season ends.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Carlos Rodon will be entering arbitration once this season ends.
Oh sorry thought he came up late enough in 2015 to move the timer back.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile
Oh sorry thought he came up late enough in 2015 to move the timer back.
His timer for free agency was moved back from after 2020 to after 2021, but he will qualify as a Super Two player unless he spends fewer than 86 days on the roster this season, and I can't even begin to imagine the ****storm that would happen if Rodon was optioned to the minors to gain another year of cheap control over him. Basically, the consolation prize for guys like Rodon and Kris Bryant who fall slightly short of accruing a full year of service in their first season is an extra year of arbitration.

Tim Anderson, on the other hand, will be a more difficult case to project, but if past years are any indicator, it looks like he will fall just under the cutoff for Super Two status after 2018.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
His timer for free agency was moved back from after 2020 to after 2021, but he will qualify as a Super Two player unless he spends fewer than 86 days on the roster this season, and I can't even begin to imagine the ****storm that would happen if Rodon was optioned to the minors to gain another year of cheap control over him. Basically, the consolation prize for guys like Rodon and Kris Bryant who fall slightly short of accruing a full year of service in their first season is an extra year of arbitration.

Tim Anderson, on the other hand, will be a more difficult case to project, but if past years are any indicator, it looks like he will fall just under the cutoff for Super Two status after 2018.
Thanks for the explanation. I admit I don't really follow the Super 2 stuff, so appreciate learning something new.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:31 PM
WSI High Priest

Decent read. Take from it what you will.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ebuild-qa.html

Edited to add Part 2:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...-part-two.html

Last edited by kobo; 02-14-2017 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:43 AM
WSI Church Elder

The cardinals just lost Reyes for the season with Tommy John surgery. Now the Cardinals may have interest in Quintana.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
The cardinals just lost Reyes for the season with Tommy John surgery. Now the Cardinals may have interest in Quintana.
Do they have premium prospects?

Maybe just as importantly, can we at least cultivate a perception that the Cardinals are sufficiently interested to prompt the Pirates to deal their premium prospects?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:15 AM
WSI Prelate

The Cards have sufficient in-house options. Reyes wasn't even a lock for the rotation. Wacha or Weaver has the fifth spot now.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM
WSI Prelate

A good read for those of you who wish the Sox would have tried to win with the core they had, complete with rationale from Hahn himself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-th...rs-and-scrubs/
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
A good read for those of you who wish the Sox would have tried to win with the core they had, complete with rationale from Hahn himself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-th...rs-and-scrubs/
Thanks. I don't know why people are freaking out over the possibility of the Sox being contenders and then going for it this year if every single thing goes right for this team. It seems pretty clear to me that the old way of doing things no longer applies, but maybe I'm being too optimistic. I feel that way because of the comments Hahn has made over the last several weeks. We'll see what happens.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
The Cards have sufficient in-house options. Reyes wasn't even a lock for the rotation. Wacha or Weaver has the fifth spot now.
Reyes was absolutely a lock for the rotation. Wacha was bad last year and was targeted for the bullpen this year. Weaver wasn't nearly as impressive as Reyes in their call up last year and was clearly behind Reyes.

Other Card options are big question marks - Lance Lynn coming of surgery. Is Wainwright done? Leake was underwhelming.

The Cards Have a major league ready catcher who they hope to replace Molina soon. They have a power hitting hispanic OF a little bit away who they are high on (his name escapes me) and of course weaver and a couple other prospects that would interest the sox.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zisk77 View Post
Reyes was absolutely a lock for the rotation. Wacha was bad last year and was targeted for the bullpen this year. Weaver wasn't nearly as impressive as Reyes in their call up last year and was clearly behind Reyes.

Other Card options are big question marks - Lance Lynn coming of surgery. Is Wainwright done? Leake was underwhelming.

The Cards Have a major league ready catcher who they hope to replace Molina soon. They have a power hitting hispanic OF a little bit away who they are high on (his name escapes me) and of course weaver and a couple other prospects that would interest the sox.
While I understand your opinion, news coming out of StL was that Martinez, Waino, Leake, and Lynn had the first four spots.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Interesting discussion of St. Louis as a possible landing spot for Quintana from the end of January... before... Reyes got hurt.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/a-new...quintana-idea/