And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2017, 04:31 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JermaineDye05 View Post
After reading a bit of this thread, I feel that it must be stressed that a fan's age should really hold absolutely no water over the direction of a franchise.
Tilting at windmills?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-27-2017, 09:44 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Oddly enough, Posey was the high first-round pick of the lot. He was a No 5 pick in 2008. Lincecum and Bumgarner were No. 10 picks, which is abpit where the Sox have been picking in the last few years when apparently they haven't been picking high enough to get the talent they need to rebuild.

Crawford was a fourth-round pick, at the time considered a wasted pick of a Bay Area kid who probably wouldn't hit. Belt was a fifth-round pick. Romo was a 28th-round pick. Matt Cain was picked 25th in the first round the year the Giants lost the World Series. When the Giants were losing 90-plus games late in the decade, he was the stud pitcher they didn't trade for prospects as some columnists in San Francisco were suggesting they would have to do.

If the White Sox were following the example of the Giants. They wouldn't have traded Sale.
Apples and oranges. The Giants picked better players, not exactly a strategy.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-27-2017, 09:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
After reading a bit of this thread, I feel that it must be stressed that a fan's age should really hold absolutely no water over the direction of a franchise.
Agreed, it doesn't matter whether you're 10 or 80. The "I'm a grumpy old man" excuse is pretty lame.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
True. But the owner's age often does dictate the direction of a franchise. It's a credit to RH that he convinced JR to rebuild, and I think we're all anxious to see the team stay committed to the rebuild, because the only thing worse than picking the wrong direction is constantly changing direction.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:09 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Agreed, it doesn't matter whether you're 10 or 80. The "I'm a grumpy old man" excuse is pretty lame.
I made no excuse or ad hominem.

My belief is that the term tanking is a poor one.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:29 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I made no excuse or ad hominem.

My belief is that the term tanking is a poor one.
Really? we're having an argument about the meaning of words now?

Tanking just means not trying to win or actually attempting to lose on purpose to improve a team's draft slot.

Do you have another word you prefer to describe that phenomenon?

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-27-2017, 11:40 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Until you get to be a grumpy old man.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:43 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Really? we're having an argument about the meaning of words now?

Tanking just means not trying to win or actually attempting to lose on purpose to improve a team's draft slot.

Do you have another word you prefer to describe that phenomenon?
Good post.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-27-2017, 01:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog
If the White Sox were following the example of the Giants. They wouldn't have traded Sale.
They would have bumped payroll a good 15-20% annually, too.

There is no valid comparison to be made between the two teams. The two situations are completely independent of each other.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Sox View Post
I keep reading that JR wasn't happy about this so called rebuild. If this is actually a rebuild it seems to me you could turn this around quickly. There are 2 soon to be free agents , Luis Robert from Cuba and Sho Otani from Japan. Both are considered blue chip prospects who are both MLB ready. And both are outfielders, something the White Sox don't have in their minor league system. I'm under the impression that both of them will be playing in MLB in 2018. It will be interesting to see if the White Sox try and sign these two. Wouldn't these two fit into our so called rebuild?
You really need to stop with saying "this so called rebuild". Seriously. It makes you sound like you have no idea what the team is doing or just don't believe in it. Regardless, it's tiring because you keep saying the same thing over and over again. And apparently you aren't reading/hearing much about Reinsdorf and his feeling because this article tells you how JR feels about everything: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...222-story.html
Old 02-27-2017, 02:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You really need to stop with saying "this so called rebuild". Seriously. It makes you sound like you have no idea what the team is doing or just don't believe in it. Regardless, it's tiring because you keep saying the same thing over and over again. And apparently you aren't reading/hearing much about Reinsdorf and his feeling because this article tells you how JR feels about everything: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...222-story.html
Some folks, and a few admittedly for selfish reasons, just can't stomach the likelihood of waiting 3-5 years to be good. I can get that. I really can. But yes, the constant fretting about it is a bit much.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
True.

Lip
Old 02-27-2017, 02:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

http://http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/new...-missed-deals/

They supposedly had a deal in place with someone (I'm assuming regarding Quintana) right as they were finalizing the Eaton deal.

The single greatest postgame thread ever conceived on WSI:
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ostgame+Royals
Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM
WSI High Priest

Here's a what if. What happens if at the break the Sox are playing over their heads and are like 10 games over .500. Avi is finally playing to his potential, Frazier on his way to another 40 homer season and 90+ RBI but his BA up at .270.
Abreu on the way to a .300 BA with his usual 30 homers and 100 ribbies. Cabrera with another solid season at the plate, Anderson improving on his rookie season and Saladino playing a solid second base with Tilson holding down CF with a .270 BA.
The pitching staff takes up the slack of losing Sale with the bullpen a plus instead of a minus like 2016.
If all that happens and who says it can't, what does it do to the rebuild? Does Hahn sell high on guys like Q, Frazier and Avi or do they become buyers and try for a playoff spot.
Of course I wouldn't bet on all this hapenning but I remember a horrible 1976 Sox team that won 90 games in 77 and the 1990 team that came out of nowhere and improved by 25 games over 1989 and contended well into September.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 02-27-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:25 PM
WSI Personality

Bruce Levine says Cardinals, Yankees, Astros, and Pirates still in the hunt after Quintana.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/...n-high-demand/

No sourcing for the claim other than Hahn saying he's still talking to people he was talking to before. So take it with however much seasoning you want.