Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2017, 01:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Default 2017 Total Rebuild Part 6

MLB Daily Dish ‏@mlbdailydish 5h5 hours ago

NL East: Nationals still interested in David Robertson

Washington has yet to fill their reliever need.
http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2017/2/8...rlins-pitching
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM
WSI Church Elder

I read a story a couple of days ago that said the Nationals were interested in Robertson but wanted the Sox to pay his salary and weren't willing to give up any prospects. I wondered if Rizzo is a jedi?
Old 02-09-2017, 11:39 AM
WSI Prelate

We're coming down to the wire on deals. Once spring training opens, most teams want to see what they have.

Probably little movement until towards the end of spring when teams deal with injuries or understand that who they have aren't cutting it.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:11 AM
WSI High Priest

I'd like to move Robertson, but we can't eat a ton of money to do it and we should get something decent in return. I'd rather get a good prospect than a money-saving venture because I doubt we'd say, "Hey, this is $XX million we'll plow into 2019."
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 AM
WSI Prelate

Rather than thinking of ourselves as sellers, we need to think of ourselves as buyers. We are buying future assets. We want to get the best possible prospects.

Saving money on the 2018 payroll won't mean the Sox have that much more on the 2019 payroll.

Money saved this year just goes into the investors' pockets.

So to whatever extent possible, Hahn should package money with Robertson, or whomever, to get better prospects in return.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Rather than thinking of ourselves as sellers, we need to think of ourselves as buyers. We are buying future assets. We want to get the best possible prospects.

Saving money on the 2018 payroll won't mean the Sox have that much more on the 2019 payroll.

So to whatever extent possible, Hahn should package money with Robertson, or whomever, to get better prospects in return.
I just want to be picky here. None of us know what the Sox do with extra money on a year by year basis. They might give extra large payouts to the investors or they might sock it away into investments for use at a later date for bonuses or salaries in times of shortfall. I am sure the investors are all being paid a solid income, but it is not guaranteed that any money not spent on payroll this year automatically becomes a windfall for them.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-10-2017, 08:18 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo
I'm totally cool with that. These are the same people we will need to support the team with extra financial resources when it finally gets competitive again. May as well boost the financial health of the franchise in any way possible when on-field wins are not in the short-term forecast. Cut dividend checks, re-invest in some other area (international scouting? stadium improvements?), reduce any operating debt, or even just put the money in an interest-bearing account of some kind.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM
WSI Prelate

A good read for those of you who wish the Sox would have tried to win with the core they had, complete with rationale from Hahn himself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-th...rs-and-scrubs/

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
A good read for those of you who wish the Sox would have tried to win with the core they had, complete with rationale from Hahn himself.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/is-th...rs-and-scrubs/
Thanks. I don't know why people are freaking out over the possibility of the Sox being contenders and then going for it this year if every single thing goes right for this team. It seems pretty clear to me that the old way of doing things no longer applies, but maybe I'm being too optimistic. I feel that way because of the comments Hahn has made over the last several weeks. We'll see what happens.