White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 09:44 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
4. No team has a farm system with only drafted players, so what's the point?
The point is that this farm got a massive jump-start by trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana. Others don't have that edge. (not to mention numerous other secondary pieces, for which Hahn got virtually nothing). I know you don't like Law, but he has the system at #13. If that's accurate, it's a disgrace. Farms that were low ranked 2 years ago have already passed the Sox.
One thing he is accurate about is that it's light on pitching, despite the conventional wisdom.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:25 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
The point is that this farm got a massive jump-start by trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana. Others don't have that edge. (not to mention numerous other secondary pieces, for which Hahn got virtually nothing). I know you don't like Law, but he has the system at #13. If that's accurate, it's a disgrace. Farms that were low ranked 2 years ago have already passed the Sox.
One thing he is accurate about is that it's light on pitching, despite the conventional wisdom.
Well they did promote three starting pitchers to the majors in the last 18 months, 3 of them saw their first serious action last year.

So it's not really that surprising the pitching in the minors isn't as deep as it was two years ago.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-11-2019, 08:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Whether someone likes Law or not, his ranking for the Sox system looks like an outlier since other rankings I have seen still have the Sox in at least the top 5.

Last edited by GoSox2K3; 02-11-2019 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:12 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Whether someone likes Law or not, his ranking for the Sox system looks like an outlier since other rankings I have seen still have the Sox in at least the top 5.

It is an outlier, so hopefully he is incorrect in his assessment.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
The point is that this farm got a massive jump-start by trading Sale, Eaton, and Quintana. Others don't have that edge.

It's just an unusual criteria to throw out there. Should we also throw out international players since they weren't drafted?
Old 02-11-2019, 10:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Interesting that Rutherford's rating has taken such a plunge given that he did show an increase in pop last year. Granted, it was not that great with only seven home runs, but the man still has a great hit tool with a good eye. It will be interesting to see what happens to him if his home run total increases to 10-15 this year.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Interesting that Rutherford's rating has taken such a plunge given that he did show an increase in pop last year. Granted, it was not that great with only seven home runs, but the man still has a great hit tool with a good eye. It will be interesting to see what happens to him if his home run total increases to 10-15 this year.

Birmingham isn't conducive to home run totals increasing when one is moving up from A-ball, but if he can just continue hitting doubles and triples with good average in Birmingham, we reasonably can expect a jump in home run totals when he advances to Charlotte.

Similarly, I look for Collins to have more HRs in Charlotte than he did in Birmingham.

This may be a feature/bug of the Sox system, where the large dimensions in Birmingham, followed by smaller dimensions in Charlotte, makes it more likely that Sox hitting prospects don't really show much game power until they get to AAA.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
It's just an unusual criteria to throw out there. Should we also throw out international players since they weren't drafted?
Yeah, it's a slippery slope to start placing qualifiers on which talent in the system "counts". The Sox don't get credit for acquiring Eloy and Cease because they had Quintana to trade.....but who acquired Q in the first place and signed him to a team-friendly contract extension? Same with Sale and Eaton.

Do the Cubs not get credit for Rizzo because of the "insider trading" deal they made when Hoyer was still Padres GM? I suppose Bryant gave them a massive jump start since he basically fell into their laps with the #2 overall pick? We could play this game all day long.

Last edited by Hitmen77; 02-11-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Birmingham isn't conducive to home run totals increasing when one is moving up from A-ball, but if he can just continue hitting doubles and triples with good average in Birmingham, we reasonably can expect a jump in home run totals when he advances to Charlotte.

Similarly, I look for Collins to have more HRs in Charlotte than he did in Birmingham.

This may be a feature/bug of the Sox system, where the large dimensions in Birmingham, followed by smaller dimensions in Charlotte, makes it more likely that Sox hitting prospects don't really show much game power until they get to AAA.
Rutherford certainly has to prove that he can hit for more power even if we factor in the ballpark dimensions at B'ham. I consider myself cautiously optimistic that he will do this. He's still only 21.

It should be another interesting year following the progress of Sox prospects. Bring it on!

Last edited by Hitmen77; 02-11-2019 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Rutherford certainly has to prove that he can hit for more power even if we factor in the ballpark dimensions at B'ham. I consider myself cautiously optimistic that he will do this. He's still only 21.

It should be another interesting year following the progress of Sox prospects. Bring it on!

Agreed. I'm just pointing out that if this year Rutherford puts up ~30 doubles, ~12 triples, and ~8 homers, while hitting .290ish at Birmingham, he's earned the promotion to Charlotte for 2020, where we would probably expect his home run totals to increase (perhaps at the expense of some doubles and triples).
Old 02-11-2019, 04:08 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Or SD shouldnít get credit for Tatis since they didnít draft him?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 02-11-2019, 04:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc
Or SD shouldnít get credit for Tatis since they didnít draft him?
In all fairness, Tragg is the one poster I can remember being the most upset about trading Tatis at the time of the trade. No revisionist history on his part...
Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
In all fairness, Tragg is the one poster I can remember being the most upset about trading Tatis at the time of the trade. No revisionist history on his part...
True. The point I’m responding to, however, is that if the Sox don’t get credit for minor league prospects in their system that were not originally acquired by the Sox, then no team should get such credit.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:45 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
True. The point Iím responding to, however, is that if the Sox donít get credit for minor league prospects in their system that were not originally acquired by the Sox, then no team should get such credit.
One step further, the Sox should get credit for Tatis...
Old 02-11-2019, 09:15 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Here is a write up about a prospect whose name I have not seen here, Kevin Escorcia:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/...cia/ar-BBTsZF7

Closed Thread