White Sox Interactive Forums
What's The Score?

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > What's The Score?
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-07-2019, 05:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Here’s something I just found out-the White Sox outdrew the Cubs on Sunday. But as Rick Morrissey and other passionate Cubbie fans and the Chicago media (pardon the redundancy) will tell you, that was only because so many Red Sox fans came out to GRate, while there was nary a Cardinal fan in sight at Wrigley.

Are we going to have a party to celebrate the 1 day attendance title? I mean, the Cubs have a better record, but the Sox outdrew them! That’s what’s most important! Who’s with me?
I was at the Sox game on Sunday, sitting where a lot of visiting fans usually seem to sit (down the first base/right field line). I also walked the whole concourse. Sawks fans were a relatively small part of the crowd. The Cinquo de Mayo celebration, the Los White Sox soccer strip giveaway, family day with kids run the bases and the spectacular weather produced a huge walk-up crowd. Visiting fans from out of town don't often walk-up; those tickets tend to be bought in advance. That leaves local Sawx fans, of course, and the occasional Cubs jag rooting for his AL soulmates, but there's no way that made the difference. I am guessing that if advanced sales had been anywhere near the bulk of that crowd, the Sox would not have been taking cash to park in Lots B and C (they did cut off cash at 11:30 or so, after that only parking passes accepted there) and they would have called in more concession workers. As it was the lines were extremely long. The line for kids run the bases was the longest I've ever seen it and off the top of my head I cannot recall ever seeing so many kids and babies at the park. The vast majority were not Boston fans.

I'm not surprised that more Cards fans did not stick around in Chicago for a Sunday night game. Some people work on Mondays.