White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

There is no reason to put Carlos Rodon in the rotation again and get burned again when he misses time again. Let him be this team’s Andrew Miller or Josh Hader before he bolts in free agency.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsemaster Fred
This is the major leagues so get it how you live and let’s fight tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Noneck Noneck is online now
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 11,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Hmmm. I like Rodon a lot too, but he's never come close to having a season like the one Giolito just had.



Yea Giolito did look good.
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:03 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
There is no reason to put Carlos Rodon in the rotation again and get burned again when he misses time again. Let him be this team’s Andrew Miller or Josh Hader before he bolts in free agency.
Except, you know, because we need a starter of the caliber he has shown capable of being.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 10-22-2019, 09:22 PM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Except, you know, because we need a starter of the caliber he has shown capable of being.
Pay one and trade for one.

You still have Giolito, Cease, Kopech, and Lopez to fill the last 3 spots.

The idea of Rodon blossoming into a dependable starter is dead to me. If it happens, it will be after he leaves anyway. Just get whatever we can get out of him in relief before that happens. Give those starts to someone who has a chance to be here for the long haul.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 PM
Noneck Noneck is online now
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 11,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Pay one and trade for one.

Pay one? You know how that goes


Trade for one? With what?
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:06 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Pay one? You know how that goes


Trade for one? With what?
Make another Nova-type trade.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:07 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

Odrisamer Despaigne and Juan Minaya have elected free agency.
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:22 AM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Odrisamer Despaigne and Juan Minaya have elected free agency.
Reply With Quote
  #309  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:23 AM
slavko slavko is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: North Suburban
Posts: 7,916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Make another Nova-type trade.
Gets you an end as dead as Rodon and wins you nothing.
__________________
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree and the rotten ones don't roll much.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 10-23-2019, 12:31 AM
Noneck Noneck is online now
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 11,075
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Make another Nova-type trade.

Nova never had the possibility of being a front end pitcher when the Sox got him.



Rodon may never be one either but my point is there is still a possibility that he may. The cost to extend him now will not be much and the amount/ term is something the Sox may find acceptable.



With this organization , one has to think out of the box because of how they run this franchise.
Reply With Quote
  #311  
Old 10-23-2019, 07:18 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Gets you an end as dead as Rodon and wins you nothing.
I don’t see them winning anything this year anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #312  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:46 AM
Mohoney Mohoney is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Palos Hills, IL
Posts: 12,304
Default

The Quintana thing is interesting.

If the Cubs are looking at making a Cole/Strasburg splash in free agency, that may be the rotation spot they choose to upgrade.

Quintana makes $11.5 next year. Tyler Chatwood makes $13. Trading those guys frees up $24.5, which gets them really close to that ~$30 for a big-time rotation upgrade to pair with Darvish.

Adding Chatwood to Quintana should lower the prospect cost. Or maybe the Cubs would be interested in Colomé and Marshall instead of prospects? That still saves them Chatwood’s $13 million and addresses a major problem.
Reply With Quote
  #313  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 AM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,272
Default

I dispute the idea that the Sox have anything to lose by giving Rodon-as-a-starter one more go. The possible payoff is enormous. Even if you account for the low probability of the best case scenario, you are probably still swamping any opportunity cost, the value of Rodon as a reliever, and any trade return you could get for him.

The way I see it, the Sox basically have one rotation spot set in stone for 2020: Lucas Giolito (and even he is no sure thing, given how much of an aberration his 2019 season was). Hopefully, a second rotation spot will be filled by a top-of-the-line pitcher acquired on the FA market or via trade. That leaves three rotation slots to be filled via competition between Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning, as well as any bottom-of-the-barrel guys the Sox might pick up as cheap FAs or non-roster invitees. I see no reason to not let everyone in that group compete on equal footing for the remaining starter roles.
__________________
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Reply With Quote
  #314  
Old 10-23-2019, 09:57 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I dispute the idea that the Sox have anything to lose by giving Rodon-as-a-starter one more go. The possible payoff is enormous. Even if you account for the low probability of the best case scenario, you are probably still swamping any opportunity cost, the value of Rodon as a reliever, and any trade return you could get for him.

The way I see it, the Sox basically have one rotation spot set in stone for 2020: Lucas Giolito (and even he is no sure thing, given how much of an aberration his 2019 season was). Hopefully, a second rotation spot will be filled by a top-of-the-line pitcher acquired on the FA market or via trade. That leaves three rotation slots to be filled via competition between Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Cease, Dunning, as well as any bottom-of-the-barrel guys the Sox might pick up as cheap FAs or non-roster invitees. I see no reason to not let everyone in that group compete on equal footing for the remaining starter roles.
I’m sure the Sox front office will agree with you.

After all, they gave Fulmer and Covey about five chances each after any reasonable observer would have said “time to move on”.

I wish they’d let other teams be the saps.
Reply With Quote
  #315  
Old 10-23-2019, 10:02 AM
HomeFish HomeFish is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
I’m sure the Sox front office will agree with you.

After all, they gave Fulmer and Covey about five chances each after any reasonable observer would have said “time to move on”.

I wish they’d let other teams be the saps.
I don't think those are comparable. We're talking about a guy with terrible injury luck, not a guy with a lack of MLB talent.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.