Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 01:08 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
So twice in the last 12 years itís been an issue and once was because an idiot couldnít shut up. I donít think this should be a huge part of the consideration. Statistically baseball players just donít get it njured that often in game.

That doesnít change my thinking that they shouldnít force Collins into uncomfortable situations this early in his call up, but injury risk seems minimal and the team can cope if it happened. Pitchers are already hitting regularly throughout the season anyway.
Twice that I know of.

Probably a pretty rare occurrence because AL Managers know to not to play both Catchers at the same time. I'm just saying it is not a good idea to play Collins at First or DH unless there is a reliable third Catcher on the Bench. We are not playing for draft position any more. A top ten pick next year is probably out of reach unless we hit a 20 game losing streak or two.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:39 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Twice that I know of.

Probably a pretty rare occurrence because AL Managers know to not to play both Catchers at the same time. I'm just saying it is not a good idea to play Collins at First or DH unless there is a reliable third Catcher on the Bench. We are not playing for draft position any more. A top ten pick next year is probably out of reach unless we hit a 20 game losing streak or two.
There is NO reason not to play Collins at 1B, if McCann or the starting catcher has to come out of the game, you can move Collins to C and bring in a 1B without losing your DH.

The only issue is if Collins is DH'ing and your C gets injured or for whatever reason has to leave the game. Then you're pitcher goes into the C spot in the order. As long as it's in the 5th inning or later, it really doesn't effect the team much at all. You pinch hit the 1 or 2 times a pitcher comes up and you move on. I would bet this would very rarely happen, so I'd take my chances by getting the best hitters in the line up.

The issue you have is having 2 Catchers in the line up, means generally 2 very slow players. So pinch running for one of them means you have 0 catchers left to sub if the remaining C gets injured.
Old 07-03-2019, 01:44 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
There is NO reason not to play Collins at 1B, if McCann or the starting catcher has to come out of the game, you can move Collins to C and bring in a 1B without losing your DH.
I didn't realize this until recently, but Collins has only played 9 games at 1B in his professional career (all this season). It's probably best for him to stick to C and DH while he's getting used to seeing MLB pitching, and not put him in a unfamiliar position.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
On that list, I would keep Engel. Medeiros should be on this list as well, although is showing some signs of improvement. Maybe Banuelos. Not sure how many spots they are going to need, but probably a lot.
Cordero is one of the guys I want them to bring up soon! He was horrible with the Nats AAA team, but he's been lights out in Charlotte.
There is no way I ever want to see Engel! He has had every opportunity to show he belongs and has failed. I agree with you that They should call up Cordero. Also no need to see Banuelos again.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Alex Verdugo came immediately to mind. I'll find some others.
The Dodgersí situation is just about as far away as you can get from our situation.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:56 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
I didn't realize this until recently, but Collins has only played 9 games at 1B in his professional career (all this season). It's probably best for him to stick to C and DH while he's getting used to seeing MLB pitching, and not put him in a unfamiliar position.
Not that this is an argument and some might consider it irrelevant, but here's a fun fact. Don Kessinger in 2 minor league and 16 major league seasons played only one game at first base. Of course, he was six times an all-star and twice a gold glover at shortstop.

Of course it was with the White Sox because the White Sox play people out of position all the time.

The stupid manager who put Kessinger at first was player-manager Don Kessinger, who on May 10, 1979 put himself in at first base in the ninth in place of future first base gold glover (and left-handed catcher) Mike Squires in a win against the Royals. Eric Solderholm had pinch-hit for Squires who had come in as a defensive replacement for Lamar Johnson. Solderholm singled in the go-ahead run before a homer by Wayne Nordhagen (big Viking names in those days, although Tim Nordbrook didn't bring the big stick) going into the ninth. Kessinger, who had himself hitting ninth and playing short that night, moved Greg Pryor to short, Solderholm to third and covered first himself, getting all three putouts on ground balls to finish off the 5-2 win in the old park. Really, the only thing that could have made that game more fun at the end would have been Nordhagen, the DH, coming in for the save, but Kessinger let Steve Trout, who had coughed up the lead in the top of the eighth, stay in the game for the blown-save win.

Kessinger knew he could play first, even if he had never done so in a professional game. He made moves he needed to make to win the game knowing he could play first. Kessinger didn't win a lot of games, really didn't like managing, but he knew baseball.

Managers probably have a better idea of what their players are capable of doing than fans.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:52 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Can Daniel Palka hit .040?
Can he at least hit his age?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Can he at least hit his age?
Can he just go away?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
Can he just go away?
Yeah- it's now cringe worthy watching Daniel Palka try to hit major league pitching- hopefully he's gone very soon.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

I wonder what went wrong with Palka. Last year he was hitting 25 plus HR's, and this year nothing.

He's below Dunn territory now, and that's not good. I feel bad for the guy, he looks like he's lost it completely out there.

Maybe it feeds on itself, the harder you try the worse you do.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
I wonder what went wrong with Palka. Last year he was hitting 25 plus HR's, and this year nothing.

He's below Dunn territory now, and that's not good. I feel bad for the guy, he looks like he's lost it completely out there.

Maybe it feeds on itself, the harder you try the worse you do.
He is a bad baseball player, and the league has him figured out. There is a reason he was available for nothing despite having options remaining.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:50 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
He is a bad baseball player, and the league has him figured out. There is a reason he was available for nothing despite having options remaining.
Heís one of the top few-hundred baseball players in the world. No need to be rude.
Old 07-05-2019, 02:25 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Heís one of the top few-hundred baseball players in the world.
So are lots of other guys in AAA. Hopefully, Palka will be joining them again soon.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:28 AM
WSI Personality

Reynaldo is now sporting a -0.6 bWAR for the season after posting a 3.1 bWAR last season. His peripherals from last year show he didn't pitch as well as his traditional stats indicate and now this season it's coming home to roost. The guy keeps getting crushed the 3rd time through the lineup.

I'd say let him finish out the season as a starter then next year he can be in the bullpen as a long reliever. There's good value to be had there.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Reynaldo is now sporting a -0.6 bWAR for the season after posting a 3.1 bWAR last season. His peripherals from last year show he didn't pitch as well as his traditional stats indicate and now this season it's coming home to roost. The guy keeps getting crushed the 3rd time through the lineup.

I'd say let him finish out the season as a starter then next year he can be in the bullpen as a long reliever. There's good value to be had there.
I think heís going to end up our closer of the future, just a gut feeling. Throws hard, would be a guy with a couple really good max effort pitches.