White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Do You Rate the Rebuild Progress After One Complete Season?
Ahead of schedule! This has exceeded my expectations 63 54.31%
On Schedule - this is pretty much where I expected the Sox to be after 2017 46 39.66%
Thumbs Down - We're in for the long haul with mediocrity. 4 3.45%
No Opinion/Refuse to Answer Until 2020 2 1.72%
Churros! 1 0.86%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 PM
WSI Regular

On second thought I should have voted that we are ahead in the rebuild. It is amazing that we were able to get all that done in one year. We also did all this and treated the players we traded fairly by sending them all to good teams. That should have shown them that we appreciated what they had done for us. I don't say that was our main intent because we also got what we wanted in the trades. Eaton to the Nationals, Sale to the Red Sox, Quintana to the Cubs, Frazier,Kahnle, and Robertson to the Yanks. Swarzak to the Brewers. Cabrera to K.C., Gonzales to Texas. All those teams had a good chance to be in the playoffs. That may come into play in the future when it comes to signing free agents. I know it's mostly money that motivates players to sign but I don't think this hurt either.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:41 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMinoso View Post
On second thought I should have voted that we are ahead in the rebuild. It is amazing that we were able to get all that done in one year. We also did all this and treated the players we traded fairly by sending them all to good teams. That should have shown them that we appreciated what they had done for us. I don't say that was our main intent because we also got what we wanted in the trades. Eaton to the Nationals, Sale to the Red Sox, Quintana to the Cubs, Frazier,Kahnle, and Robertson to the Yanks. Swarzak to the Brewers. Cabrera to K.C., Gonzales to Texas. All those teams had a good chance to be in the playoffs. That may come into play in the future when it comes to signing free agents. I know it's mostly money that motivates players to sign but I don't think this hurt either.
Established Players traded at the trade deadline will go to playoff contending teams.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

I can see Miguel Gonzalez coming back to help buttress the staff. Maybe some FA pen staff too.

As far as the draft goes, pitching and lefty bats w/pop seem to be where the White Sox are looking.

With Engel's struggles maybe they look for veteran CF help.

I think they're set at catcher, I wouldn't waste money there. You need a Plan B, but Smith/Narvaez need to develop.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-12-2017, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I can see Miguel Gonzalez coming back to help buttress the staff. Maybe some FA pen staff too.

As far as the draft goes, pitching and lefty bats w/pop seem to be where the White Sox are looking.

With Engel's struggles maybe they look for veteran CF help.

I think they're set at catcher, I wouldn't waste money there. You need a Plan B, but Smith/Narvaez need to develop.
I think this is as good as it gets for Narvaez and Smith... which is better than I expected. The plan is to wait for Collins and Zavala to develop which they seem to be doing nicely.

With Ryan Cordell and Leury Garcia available I doubt the team signs a veteran CF while they wait for Luis Robert to arrive which, according to Hahn's comments, they expect to be sooner than you would otherwise think for a 20 year old in the DSL.

As for the draft, I really do think it is all about gathering the best possible talent available regardless of position. But the more I think about it the more I expect it might be focused on more pitching. You can never have enough.

I agree completely on Gonzalez. The Sox will need to sign at least one veteran starting pitcher and Miguel would fill the bill nicely. The question in my mind is whether they sign 2 free agent starters or do they hope Fulmer can fill a spot in the rotation.

The bullpen desperately needs help and I think it will be a real telling sign of where Hahn and company think the team is at depending on whether they sign reclamation projects like Swarzak and Kahnle were or if they sign proven veterans to 2-3 year contracts.

I would have expected that it would be one year reclamation's only but if they can get a good guy for 2-3 years at a reasonable price now then maybe they start that phase of the rebuild a year early.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:27 PM
WSI High Priest

Provided that we don't lose any picks, I think Bryan Shaw should be our top priority this offseason. He does have the stuff to close and it weakens the Indians at the same time. Signing a reliever or two should be important. Greg Holland or Addison Reed could be worth it too. But we need to learn from 2015 and not think we're closer than we actually are and trade guys.

Last edited by SoxSpeed22; 10-12-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
Provided that we don't lose any picks, I think Bryan Shaw should be our top priority this offseason. He does have the stuff to close and it weakens the Indians at the same time. Signing a reliever or two should be important. Greg Holland or Addison Reed could be worth it too. What we need to learn from 2015 is to not think we're closer than we actually are and trade guys.
...wouldn't the Sox be better served if they signed those proposed relievers when the team is closer to actually competing?

2014 PtC Score: 1
Old 10-12-2017, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
...wouldn't the Sox be better served if they signed those proposed relievers when the team is closer to actually competing?
Yes and no. I wouldn't sign a big name closer this year as he could fall off before the team gets good, which is why I feel like a 2 year deal with one of those guys is better, if things go badly, they can always trade him. If they don't want to sign for a short term deal, then forget it. My overall plan would be 2-3 reclamation pitchers and 1 established guy for the pitching staff.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm willing to wait on Narvaez...high OBP, despite no power...there's something there. And if some power actually would develop, he could be really good.
Much more promise than smith.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:52 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieDarko View Post
Yes. Splurging in relievers costing more than $10 mil per season right now is not good rebuilding. And talk about weakening division rivals is premature by a year.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-13-2017, 12:03 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'm willing to wait on Narvaez...high OBP, despite no power...there's something there. And if some power actually would develop, he could be really good.
Much more promise than smith.
I agree, positive war, throws out a few here and there, and +700ops with low power. Give him some time and he may develop even more.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:16 PM
WSI Prelate

There’s no point in signing a veteran reliever to a multi year contract. They’ll have to sign a few veteran pitchers but only for one year contracts.
Stay on the hunt for more young pitching. Perhaps move some of these excess AAA position players for similarly situated pitchers

Last edited by Tragg; 10-13-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:55 AM
WSI Personality

I bet the Sox take another flyer on a Rule 5 pickup to stash in the bullpen or make a start or two on doubleheader days that pop up. While the Covey experience was not pleasant, who knows, maybe he returns as a useful piece in a year or two after some minor league instruction time.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
I bet the Sox take another flyer on a Rule 5 pickup to stash in the bullpen or make a start or two on doubleheader days that pop up. While the Covey experience was not pleasant, who knows, maybe he returns as a useful piece in a year or two after some minor league instruction time.
Covey just had a nice outing so maybe he's found what ails him.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:13 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Covey just had a nice outing so maybe he's found what ails him.
He did...it's called playing against minor leaguers.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
He did...it's called playing against minor leaguers.
Isn't that the thing, though? I thought that until this year he hadn't even pitched above A-Ball. So maybe some more development time is in order for him. We'll just have to see...hopefully away from the MLB club.