White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2008, 04:09 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehozenychicty View Post
Swisher looks like nothing more than a thinner Giambi, and his track record mirrors that. He's a marketable franchise presence, but has few strengths other than OBP and declining power at 27. You can't use the youth excuse with Swisher, then declare that Sweeney can't hit. Sweeney's had a tenth of the ABs, and he's a few years younger than Swisher. I'm not saying that he'll become a good player, but the youth line is lame. I would've kept Gonzalez out of the three players given to Oakland, but it's a moot point.
So I don't know that you read my post at all. I wasn't mentioning Swisher's youth as an excuse for what you perceive as a poor year, but rather as an asset. He's just entering his prime. As far as his declining power, he'll still end up with over 20 home runs this year. He's between a 20 and 30 HR guy...I don't know what you expected from him.

I like how you say he has "few strengths beyound OBP." Like OBP isn't a huge measure of a hitter. He also has the highest pitches per AB in baseball, he can play all 3 OF positions and first base. Those are also strengths.

Honestly I think Swisher has been solid this year. He's never been a high batting average guy. He was forced to bat leadoff, which undboubtedly led to what you call "declining power" and had to adjust to a physically demanding defensive position.

I will not lose any sleep over Sweeney. He will not become a star. DLS could still be good but is already damaged goods. Gio has been traded 3 times already, which should tell you something.

Bottom line, without that trade, you go into the season relying on an injured and unproven Carlos Quinten, Jermaine Dye, Brian Anderson, and Jerry Owens as your OF. Not exactly a good thing.

Shoeless Joe Jackson: The first two were high and tight, so where do you think the next one's gonna be?
Archie Graham: Well, either low and away, or in my ear.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: He's not gonna wanna load the bases, so look low and away.
Archie Graham: Right.
Shoeless Joe Jackson: But watch out for in your ear.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:03 PM
WSI Prelate

Good to read that Jordan Danks reportedly signed with the Sox. Let's hope he's either good enough to play for the Sox, or he's good enough that another team would send a quality player back to the Sox to get him.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Danks' father confirms he has signed and will take a physical on Monday, after he passes that, he'll be put in Kanny.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...nks_signs.html
Old 08-15-2008, 01:27 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
So I don't know that you read my post at all. I wasn't mentioning Swisher's youth as an excuse for what you perceive as a poor year, but rather as an asset. He's just entering his prime. As far as his declining power, he'll still end up with over 20 home runs this year. He's between a 20 and 30 HR guy...I don't know what you expected from him.

I like how you say he has "few strengths beyound OBP." Like OBP isn't a huge measure of a hitter. He also has the highest pitches per AB in baseball, he can play all 3 OF positions and first base. Those are also strengths.

Honestly I think Swisher has been solid this year. He's never been a high batting average guy. He was forced to bat leadoff, which undboubtedly led to what you call "declining power" and had to adjust to a physically demanding defensive position.

I will not lose any sleep over Sweeney. He will not become a star. DLS could still be good but is already damaged goods. Gio has been traded 3 times already, which should tell you something.

Bottom line, without that trade, you go into the season relying on an injured and unproven Carlos Quinten, Jermaine Dye, Brian Anderson, and Jerry Owens as your OF. Not exactly a good thing.
Forget Sweeney. Both DLS and Gio had MORE value than Swisher before the trade. A straight up trade for either would have been a loss.

Now, Gio and Sweeney certainly have more value. DLS probably still does, in that paying next nothing for an injured young player is better than paying six million for a crap player who'll never be more than a career bench guy.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofCSoxFan View Post
Good point especially when we had no idea if Dye would even hit well this year.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post
Forget Sweeney. Both DLS and Gio had MORE value than Swisher before the trade. A straight up trade for either would have been a loss.

Now, Gio and Sweeney certainly have more value. DLS probably still does, in that paying next nothing for an injured young player is better than paying six million for a crap player who'll never be more than a career bench guy.
You make me wanna puke.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:27 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Palmer View Post
You make me wanna puke.
Haha, yeah that was pretty much the reaction I had.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchman33 View Post

You must really hate Swisher because everything in that post was a lie. Sweeney has no power and long term projects as a corner OF, unless he figures out the power stroke he is nothing but a 4th OF. DLS had major surgery and projected more as a bullpen guy in the long run anyways. Gio might be the one guy we really regret but with his small frame who knows how he will hold up anyways long term.

Swisher is probably having his worse season he ever will for us but has been a valuable asset to the team. He will hit more HR's this year than Sweeney probably ever will. I also think next year Swisher will hit around the .250 mark with 25-30 HR's and an OBP around .380ish
Old 08-15-2008, 07:28 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleeFan101 View Post
You must really hate Swisher because everything in that post was a lie. Sweeney has no power and long term projects as a corner OF, unless he figures out the power stroke he is nothing but a 4th OF. DLS had major surgery and projected more as a bullpen guy in the long run anyways. Gio might be the one guy we really regret but with his small frame who knows how he will hold up anyways long term.

Swisher is probably having his worse season he ever will for us but has been a valuable asset to the team. He will hit more HR's this year than Sweeney probably ever will. I also think next year Swisher will hit around the .250 mark with 25-30 HR's and an OBP around .380ish
Stop being rational! You're dealing with someone who said that an A ball player had a 50% chance of going to the HOF and the only reason it was such a low chance is b/c of the potential of injury.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:07 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilli Palmer View Post
You make me wanna puke.
My ignore list is small, but it just got a little bigger. Everything that comes out of his mouth is negative. He loves the attention.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:33 AM
WSI Church Elder

We now interrupt this cat fight with your regularlly scheduled thread;

Danks bonus at $525K, should report to Kanny on Monday. Great to get him signed, and here's hoping he regains his power stoke.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012
Old 08-15-2008, 08:38 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleeFan101 View Post

I think people who defend Nick Swisher are funny.

I want the White Sox to win.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws05champ View Post
We now interrupt this cat fight with your regularlly scheduled thread;

Danks bonus at $525K, should report to Kanny on Monday. Great to get him signed, and here's hoping he regains his power stoke.
Agree on all counts, it will be very interesting to watch him develop. Supposedly he has a very good eye and will draw walks, some base stealing ability, and an overall good skill set. The White Sox need CF candidates/prospects badly so I will be pulling for this kid big time.

On the White Sox site, there was a brief notation that with Danks signing, the Sox signed all 10 of their top 10 picks, so that must mean Leesman signed as well.

I'm trying to find out if they signed another CF prospect, the very speedy Randall Thorpe who they selected down low and was poised to join Texas A+M if he didn't sign.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:22 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
On the White Sox site, there was a brief notation that with Danks signing, the Sox signed all 10 of their top 10 picks, so that must mean Leesman signed as well.
Yep, actually got their Top 12 picks signed.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft....php?team=1026
Old 08-15-2008, 09:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2906 View Post
Agree on all counts, it will be very interesting to watch him develop. Supposedly he has a very good eye and will draw walks, some base stealing ability, and an overall good skill set. The White Sox need CF candidates/prospects badly so I will be pulling for this kid big time.

I'm trying to find out if they signed another CF prospect, the very speedy Randall Thorpe who they selected down low and was poised to join Texas A+M if he didn't sign.
That's the thing, if he can play in CF, I'm not too conserned about his power...anything more than 10 HR from a CF that can get on base and run is more than enough.

Not that I expect much from him, but I believe Kenny Williams Jr. is a CF prospect as well. Again, I'm not holding my breath there but he's a remote possibility I guess from this draft.