White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 09-23-2018, 02:43 PM
tebman's Avatar
tebman tebman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bolingbrook
Posts: 3,907
Blog Entries: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
I have to say that any softening of my hate for Cub fans' behavior due to them finally winning and finally having something to justify their gloating has completely gone. They are objectively the most insufferable fan base in sports, bar none.
No argument there. They're both uninformed and unapologetic about it. It's too bad, because I know there are long-time baseball fans who follow the Cubs. A childhood friend of mine is one of them. When he lived here he hadn't been to a game for several years because of what it had become.

Now the owners are turning that entire neighborhood into a Cub-themed Disneyland that only those with the deepest pockets and the highest tolerance for loutish behavior will patronize. We're stuck with this for a while.
__________________
- tebman
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-23-2018, 04:16 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
No argument there. They're both uninformed and unapologetic about it. It's too bad, because I know there are long-time baseball fans who follow the Cubs. A childhood friend of mine is one of them. When he lived here he hadn't been to a game for several years because of what it had become.

Now the owners are turning that entire neighborhood into a Cub-themed Disneyland that only those with the deepest pockets and the highest tolerance for loutish behavior will patronize. We're stuck with this for a while.
In one respect, Sox fans are not stuck with any of that bull crap, only if you pay attention to it and let it bother you. The other side of the coin is that as long as Wrigley Field is around, all that bull crap will remain and Chicago will remain a Cubs town.
__________________
Batting in the second position for the White Sox, number 2, the second baseman Nelson Fox.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-23-2018, 04:43 PM
Dick Allen Dick Allen is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Arlington Heights
Posts: 3,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
In one respect, Sox fans are not stuck with any of that bull crap, only if you pay attention to it and let it bother you. The other side of the coin is that as long as Wrigley Field is around, all that bull crap will remain and Chicago will remain a Cubs town.
Easy for you to say, not living in this area. vbg. Seriously, itís almost impossible to ignore around here. I work in a department of about 17 people, all cub fans except for me and one other person who doesnít say much. I may end up in jail someday.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-23-2018, 05:01 PM
shes shes is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
They are objectively the most insufferable fan base in sports, bar none.
The entire city of Boston would like to have a word with you.

Also, there's MMA.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Chez's Avatar
Chez Chez is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Clarendon Hills
Posts: 6,593
Default

I sat in the UD behind home plate today -- surrounded by Cubbie blue. Happy to report I had no issues. And it was closer to 120,000 than 100,000 for the weekend. Nice to see the park full again. Looking forward to 2020 when it's regularly filled with Sox fans.
__________________
2018 Attendance Record: 5-7
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

277-241.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-23-2018, 05:18 PM
LITTLE NELL LITTLE NELL is online now
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sebring Florida
Posts: 10,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
Easy for you to say, not living in this area. vbg. Seriously, it’s almost impossible to ignore around here. I work in a department of about 17 people, all cub fans except for me and one other person who doesn’t say much. I may end up in jail someday.
Yeah, it was bad when I lived up there but what made it OK was that the Cubs were the Lovable Losers, I can see that it has to be hard with their success these days but they still have only 2016 to show for it and I don't see them beating the Astros, Red Sox or Yankees if they make it to the WS this year.
What was really tough this past weekend was seeing our park so full of blue shirts.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 09-23-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-23-2018, 08:12 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Allen View Post
Easy for you to say, not living in this area. vbg. Seriously, itís almost impossible to ignore around here. I work in a department of about 17 people, all cub fans except for me and one other person who doesnít say much. I may end up in jail someday.
I know I am in the minority, but I live 5 blocks from Wrigley and work downtown and no one bothers me at all even when wearing Sox stuff.
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:19 PM
ChiSoxGirl's Avatar
ChiSoxGirl ChiSoxGirl is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wishing I was on the Carnival Legend
Posts: 6,123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesox029 View Post
I went yesterday. It's back. The ***hole Cub fan in the seat in front of me in right field stood up multiple times on foul balls into the stands behind home plate because he thought they were going to be home runs. At one point he jumped up when Schwarber swung and missed at a pitch. That is 100% true, and not an exaggeration. It was the top of the 1st inning. There were also multiple fights in the stands.
Last year these games were mid-week, so despite the disparity in the teams' records, it was at least bearable to be there. Last night was an absolute ****ing nightmare for a Sox fan. We were outnumbered at least 2 to 1 if not 3 to 1. Back when the teams were both competitive, there would always be more fans of whichever team was at home. I hope it returns to being that way, but it may be a while.

I have to say that any softening of my hate for Cub fans' behavior due to them finally winning and finally having something to justify their gloating has completely gone. They are objectively the most insufferable fan base in sports, bar none.
This post right here is exactly why we sold our tickets for last night's game for double their face value.

I'm pretty sure it's been 10 years since I've been to a crosstown game. The last time I went, I saw a fight in the parking lot while tailgating, then I went inside to my 100-level seat and had beer spilled on me -- from the upper deck! That was the end of the line for me. I have ZERO desire to watch baseball at our ballpark filled with Cubs' fans. It's bad enough we have to deal with their fans who show up to random Sox games sporting their Cubs gear!
__________________
[IMG][/IMG] The 2005 World Champion White Sox: Thanks for a lifetime of memories!
2018 Record:3-6 Next Game: Opening Day 2019
I ♥ Pods; I ♥ SUMMER!!!!
Robin!


Yaz! Pliers!

"Robin Ventura has one thing Ozzie does not have -- CLASS!" ~My dad, in response to seeing the Sox commercials that featured Robin, 03.08.12

Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:27 PM
MISoxfan MISoxfan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I know I am in the minority, but I live 5 blocks from Wrigley and work downtown and no one bothers me at all even when wearing Sox stuff.
I found it a lot more bearable in the city, but then I moved to the north suburbs for work and if I go to a bar I can barely get them to turn on the sox game in the darkest corner.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:34 PM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiSoxGirl View Post
This post right here is exactly why we sold our tickets for last night's game for double their face value.

I'm pretty sure it's been 10 years since I've been to a crosstown game. The last time I went, I saw a fight in the parking lot while tailgating, then I went inside to my 100-level seat and had beer spilled on me -- from the upper deck! That was the end of the line for me. I have ZERO desire to watch baseball at our ballpark filled with Cubs' fans. It's bad enough we have to deal with their fans who show up to random Sox games sporting their Cubs gear!
Yeah, I donít get that. I was at a Sox game in Baltimore recently and saw that. Iíve also seen it when the Sox were at the Nats and the Yanks. What is that about?
__________________
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)


"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
Yeah, I donít get that. I was at a Sox game in Baltimore recently and saw that. Iíve also seen it when the Sox were at the Nats and the Yanks. What is that about?
I wear Sox stuff when I see two teams I donít care about play.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-23-2018, 10:01 PM
Brian26's Avatar
Brian26 Brian26 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 31,662
Blog Entries: 52
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISoxfan View Post
I found it a lot more bearable in the city, but then I moved to the north suburbs for work and if I go to a bar I can barely get them to turn on the sox game in the darkest corner.
Itís a fascinating phenomenon. The farther you get away from downtown, the more obnoxious the behavior is. On a day to day basis working downtown, taking the CTA, I havenít been bothered by a Cubs fan in years. Itís a non-issue. I donít even think about it.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-23-2018, 10:26 PM
asindc asindc is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
I wear Sox stuff when I see two teams I donít care about play.
While youíre doing that, do you attend a game that the Sox are not playing in?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-23-2018, 10:28 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 22,941
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
While youíre doing that, do you attend a game that the Sox are not playing in?
Yes. Did it at Busch earlier this year, in fact.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 3,886
Default

I wear my '64 cap all the time when out. No problems in the western suburbs.
__________________
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:09 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.