GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 01:32 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Why do you put anything related to injuries in quotes like the Sox are lying?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Because those are the "direct" quotes from Hahn, not me saying it in a recap. Hahn is the expert on these matters not me. I didn't want anyone thinking this was my opinion of the situation, was quoting him directly.

No snark there Brian.
Soft tissue injuries are very difficult to prognosticate with 100% precision. That is why the reports seem to be all over the map and vague.

Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM
WSI Prelate

The biggest bummer (no pun intended) to me has been these injuries. Way so more than the ML results.

So glad to see some of these guys moving forward and getting close.

The Burger one is the one that really hurts, Twice. Not only for his development pace but also for his long term outlook at 3B, a huge position of need down the line. With a traumatic lower body injury at that position (need quick feet), I don't think he'll stick there. Even when drafted healthy there were doubts he could stick.

But think of this: Rodon, Robert, Hansen were "A" list prospects coming in which still have not participated in games. This is huge to finally get these guys back soon.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:09 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The biggest bummer (no pun intended) to me has been these injuries. Way so more than the ML results.

So glad to see some of these guys moving forward and getting close.

The Burger one is the one that really hurts, Twice. Not only for his development pace but also for his long term outlook at 3B, a huge position of need down the line. With a traumatic lower body injury at that position (need quick feet), I don't think he'll stick there. Even when drafted healthy there were doubts he could stick.

But think of this: Rodon, Robert, Hansen were "A" list prospects coming in which still have not participated in games. This is huge to finally get these guys back soon.
In 2020 Davidson may be the Sox starting 3rd baseman if they can't sign a FA for that position.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:00 PM
WSI Guru

And here's another injury update. This one on Burdi and it appears to be good:

"Zack Burdi … OK, Hahn didn’t give an update on him in this session, but Erik asked about him on the Patreon Request Line, and Hahn has said before that Burdi could be ready for game action by the All-Star break. That’d be roughly a year after he underwent Tommy John surgery."

This is from the Sox Machine web site. I'm assuming that's minor league game action.

A trainer told me the timeline would be typical, about one year for UCL surgery.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
In 2020 Davidson may be the Sox starting 3rd baseman if they can't sign a FA for that position.
I like Yolmer Sanchez, but I'm not trying to win games today. I don't need to have his defense there for 2018. Give me Davidson at 3B 80% of the games the rest of the way.

If he's average there with the glove and holds a +.850 OPS, we can all live with that.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:04 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
I like Yolmer Sanchez, but I'm not trying to win games today. I don't need to have his defense there for 2018. Give me Davidson at 3B 80% of the games the rest of the way.

If he's average there with the glove and holds a +.850 OPS, we can all live with that.
This is getting a bit off topic, but I'm confused... you want Davidson to be the primary 3B, and Yolmer to be at DH? How do you justify putting the worse fielder in the field on a regular basis? Just because he needs more practice?
Old 05-18-2018, 07:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

I wonder if anyone, reporter that is, asked why so many injuries?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 PM
WSI Guru

More on Burdi from Scott Merkin:

"Friday marked Burdi's fourth bullpen session of approximately 20 pitches off the mound at Camelback Ranch, and it was focused on fastballs, although he has incorporated sliders during warmups. Those lessons learned Burdi spoke of range from pitching mechanics to off-the-field preparation.

"I've really condensed my delivery, shortened my arm action," Burdi said. "I'm kind of getting away from that side-to-side and getting more over the ball and getting when my arm comes out of my glove, getting up higher and not dropping it down and having this big loop and being late on my ball."
Old 05-19-2018, 05:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
More on Burdi from Scott Merkin:

"Friday marked Burdi's fourth bullpen session of approximately 20 pitches off the mound at Camelback Ranch, and it was focused on fastballs, although he has incorporated sliders during warmups. Those lessons learned Burdi spoke of range from pitching mechanics to off-the-field preparation.

"I've really condensed my delivery, shortened my arm action," Burdi said. "I'm kind of getting away from that side-to-side and getting more over the ball and getting when my arm comes out of my glove, getting up higher and not dropping it down and having this big loop and being late on my ball."

Interesting, after he turned pro would a change in his pitching mechanics have lessened the chance for this injury?

The off the field preparation is what gets me. Did the organization provide an initial OTF program? One that preceded the injury? Or was the OTF program part of an amended OTF program due to the Tommy John surgery he had on his arm?
Old 05-19-2018, 12:54 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
This is getting a bit off topic, but I'm confused... you want Davidson to be the primary 3B, and Yolmer to be at DH? How do you justify putting the worse fielder in the field on a regular basis? Just because he needs more practice?
I don't care that he's the worst fielder of the two for 2018.

The Sox aren't trying to win Ovbiously.

But I need to figure out if perhaps I can count on Davidson to hold his own at 3B if he needs to be there the next few seasons.

Delmonico's unjury opens up a spot in LF to experiment with Yolmer.

The Sox neee to use this lost season to experiment. Plain and simple.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

From ESPN notes: "LHP Carlos Rodon (offseason shoulder surgery) began a rehab assignment Saturday night with Class-A Kannapolis. He allowed one run on three hits in five innings."
Old 05-20-2018, 12:33 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBerryGrab View Post
From ESPN notes: "LHP Carlos Rodon (offseason shoulder surgery) began a rehab assignment Saturday night with Class-A Kannapolis. He allowed one run on three hits in five innings."
Struck out six.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Struck out six.

And walked none
Old 05-20-2018, 05:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

There is a lot of road to travel until the White Sox FO reaches that conclusion.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Who did the Sox call up to replace Delmonico and Fulmer?

Go Sox!!!