GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I certainly didn't expect them to be a winning team, not by a longshot but after the second half of last year and this spring, I fully expected them to at least be competitive in games.

Right now they look like a high school team in all facets, that was not expected and certainly even in a rebuild asking to be competitive is not to much to ask in my opinion.

Just show you are getting better...not getting worse. Right now...they are getting worse.
Their last victory was on April 11 and (assuming there's no huge comeback today), they'll have gone 1-12 since that decent 3-2 start at KC and Toronto. Many of the losses weren't even close. Fans (including WSI posters) are definitely entitled to be pissed at this team right now.

But some of these proclamations about our prospects failing and the constant griping about Hahn after every loss are a bit overdone.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:51 PM
WSI Guru

I was really excited about Giolito coming into the season. He finished up strong last year, and he was impressive during spring training.

I couldn't be more disappointed in what I've seen through his first four outings this season. All four of them have been poor, with very little promise shown.

That first start against Kansas City, I was thinking, "He would have gotten his ass kicked if he had been facing a good team." Well, he was facing a good team Saturday, and they whipped his ass.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-22-2018, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb98 View Post
i was really excited about giolito coming into the season. He finished up strong last year, and he was impressive during spring training.

I couldn't be more disappointed in what i've seen through his first four outings this season. All four of them have been poor, with very little promise shown.

That first start against kansas city, i was thinking, "he would have gotten his ass kicked if he had been facing a good team." well, he was facing a good team saturday, and they whipped his ass.
+1
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-22-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I was really excited about Giolito coming into the season. He finished up strong last year, and he was impressive during spring training.

I couldn't be more disappointed in what I've seen through his first four outings this season. All four of them have been poor, with very little promise shown.

That first start against Kansas City, I was thinking, "He would have gotten his ass kicked if he had been facing a good team." Well, he was facing a good team Saturday, and they whipped his ass.
No idea what is wrong with him. I'm sure he'll turn it around, but his control has been terrible.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:36 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
As Jim Margulus wrote, and I’m parroting, “this was always going to be the worst year of the rebuild.”
This is what I'm going to try and believe. I just wish there would be some decent individual performances to provide some hope.

You can't play baseball without Pants.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

I'm not worried about Giolito long-term. He'll be fine.

Old 04-23-2018, 12:40 PM
WSI Prelate

Turns out Giolito's last start was basically Ricky Vaughn.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 04-23-2018, 01:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'm not sure that this is really what rebuilding really looks like, especially when you have the assets to trade that the Sox did. But it is what we have to tell ourselves to keep hope up.
We don't know if these guys are in slumps or whether they simply don't have it. Giolito has shown some skill; but Fulmer never showed much ability, even in the minors.
The Sox had assets to trade to acquire top prospects. They did not trade for proven, young MLB talent. So yes, this is what rebuilding looks like when the team has been stripped of all serviceable MLB talent sans a couple regulars and young guys are being given a chance to prove themselves.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post

Yes, my thoughts exactly.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
I'm not sure that this is really what rebuilding really looks like, especially when you have the assets to trade that the Sox did. But it is what we have to tell ourselves to keep hope up.
We don't know if these guys are in slumps or whether they simply don't have it. Giolito has shown some skill; but Fulmer never showed much ability, even in the minors.
For Adam Eaton (who is good, but not exactly a superstar), the Sox got:
- Lopez
- Giolito
- Dane Dunning (currently looking great in the minors)

Even with Giolito's recent struggles, that still looks like a potential steal of a trade for the Sox. Do people really think the Nats (or any other team) were going to hand over THREE future Clayton Kershaws for Eaton?

So yeah, this is what a rebuild looks like - not everyone is going to pan out and not everyone who succeeds is going to do so without any struggles.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:39 PM
WSI High Priest

I am not using this as an excuse, but I am willing to throw Gio's entire last start out. Its well documented he and Farquhar are close, and I probably would not perform my job well while also thinking one of my good friends is fighting for his life at that moment.

I hope to see him improve, but that was the point of this year, letting these guys work out all the bugs.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:25 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Bottom line: it is way, way too early to write Giolito off. Way too early. He'll be fine.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:28 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I am not using this as an excuse, but I am willing to throw Gio's entire last start out. Its well documented he and Farquhar are close, and I probably would not perform my job well while also thinking one of my good friends is fighting for his life at that moment.

I hope to see him improve, but that was the point of this year, letting these guys work out all the bugs.
I had no idea and yeah, I can see how having a good friend collapse in the dugout and then be listed in critical condition before undergoing life threatening/saving brain surgery the same day you are expected to pitch might throw off your concentration and control.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-26-2018, 09:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Lucas with a better outing tonight at KC: 5 2/3 IP, 2 R, 5 H, 2 BB.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:48 PM
WSI Village Atheist

If Lucas ever learns to throw first pitch strike, he will turn the corner. Of the 24 batters he faced tonight, maybe three were down 0-1.