GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2018, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Truly in love with the idea that Lopez becomes a stud. He has the “stuff” to be that guy.

Not a fan of losing to one of the worst teams in baseball, but am not against another top 5 pick if it comes down to it.

We have to think dynasty, not short term.
You have to think teaching, like the fundamentals.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-08-2018, 06:31 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
You have to think teaching, like the fundamentals.
True. Include that in there.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Look who was "trying" to play LF...another converted infielder. Garcia 2.0.

Sox don't give a damn about defense and it's costing them

Also you talk about running, how many times did the Sox hit into DP's? You'd think Ricky would put some guys in motion, maybe let them steal for a change.

Guess not.
You realize none of this personnel in place really matters for the "2020,2020,2020" you keep preaching?
Old 04-08-2018, 07:33 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
You realize none of this personnel in place really matters for the "2020,2020,2020" you keep preaching?
Delmonico very well may be. The kid seems to be able to hit but he's a butcher in the field especially the outfield. The Sox keep trotting him out there which isn't doing anybody any good, especially him. He's more of a DH / maybe first baseman type. But he very well could be around in two years (much like Davidson).

Remember every one of the "can't miss kids" WILL NOT MAKE IT. You can bet the house on it. That's why Delmonico may be around. If so, he needs to start being put in a position to succeed right now just in case. That doesn't mean trying to play the outfield which he clearly is ill suited for.

I hope to hell Garcia is long gone but you know how the Sox seemingly "love" beat up, washed up stiffs for some reason.

And in your honor since you seem to appreciate it:

2020, 2020, 2020!
Old 04-08-2018, 07:42 PM
WSI Guru

And while I'm on the soapbox, I still can't wrap my head around why the Sox organization insisted on playing the games this past weekend.

The Twins for example had the same crap weather and postponed at least one of their games with Seattle (and I don't know if the M's return to Minnesota).

I guess I could see opening day because of the crowd but the past two days how many people were actually in the stands? 5,000 a game? Maybe. Paul Sullivan had a picture on Twitter today five minutes before first pitch and the park was basically deserted.

Hell it probably COST the Sox money to open the park and play to say nothing of making their own players try to perform in that ****.

Guess I'm not cut out to be management material because if it was me I would have cancelled every game if nothing else to send a message to MLB about the stupidity of trying to play home games in early April in cold weather cities. But that's just me.

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-08-2018 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:06 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And while I'm on the soapbox, I still can't wrap my head around why the Sox organization insisted of playing the games this past weekend.

The Twins for example had the same crap weather and postponed at least one of their games with Seattle (and I don't know if the M's return to Minnesota).

I guess I could see opening day because of the crowd but the past two days how many people were actually in the stands? 5,000 a game? Maybe. Paul Sullivan had a picture on Twitter today five minutes before first pitch and the park was basically deserted.

Hell it probably COST the Sox money to open the park and play to say nothing of making their own players try to perform in that ****.

Guess I'm not cut out to be management material because if it was me I would have cancelled every game if nothing else to send a message to MLB about the stupidity of trying to play home games in early April in cold weather cities. But that's just me.
Paul "Sox Fan" Sullivan posted a picture on Twitter to sneer about the park being almost empty on a April day with temps in the 30s? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
Paul "Sox Fan" Sullivan posted a picture on Twitter to sneer about the park being almost empty on a April day with temps in the 30s? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.
I don't know if he "sneered" at it. Reading his caption on Twitter as I recall he was just stating the obvious. Maybe it actually was a blast at Sox ownership / management for allowing the games to be played, especially since Detroit comes in two more times this season.

If that was the intent, then BRAVO Sully in my opinion.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:05 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Truly in love with the idea that Lopez becomes a stud. He has the “stuff” to be that guy.
Lopez is really good, but I really think Giolito will end up being the best pitcher in the Eaton deal, as long as he shows the fastball he had during the spring at some point this season. Lopez has a bigger fastball. Not to say that Lopez doesn't have impressive offspeed stuff, but Giolito's offspeed stuff is disgusting and he probably has at least a 60 scouting grade on his curveball, slider and change. Giolito has a chance to have his entire repertoire to be +with at lest one++ pitch. I'd consider being patient with him. He's a big guy with a lot of moving parts in his delivery and it might not happen this season, but wait. I'd like to see Giolito choose a breaking ball for a given start, given whether he has a good feel for his curve. His slider is still filthy, but his curve is really good. I've seen video of Bert Blyleven's curveball and Giolito's is right up there. Gavin Floyd had a really good curve too, but Giolito's is even better because it breaks really hard and late. Honestly I think Giolito's curve is so good that umpires are having problems with it. He's not getting swing and misses because they can't pull the trigger. When he can start getting called strikes with it he's going to rack up the backwards Ks. Giolito and Floyd are a good comparison because they both got traded here after being the top pitching prospect in baseball, both had lost their elite fastball velocity when they first got here. Floyd eventually got the velocity back, but was inconsistent. Giolito has a three year head start under Cooper's tutelage (Floyd made it to the Bigs with the Sox at age 25, Giolito was 22 last season) so I expect him to gain the consistency that Floyd couldn't.

Last edited by whitesoxfan1986; 04-08-2018 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Lopez is really good, but I really think Giolito will end up being the best pitcher in the Eaton deal, as long as he shows the fastball he had during the spring at some point this season. Lopez has a bigger fastball. Not to say that Lopez doesn't have impressive offspeed stuff, but Giolito's offspeed stuff is disgusting and he probably has at least a 60 scouting grade on his curveball, slider and change. Giolito has a chance to have his entire repertoire to be +with at lest one++ pitch. I'd consider being patient with him. He's a big guy with a lot of moving parts in his delivery and it might not happen this season, but wait. I'd like to see Giolito choose a breaking ball for a given start, given whether he has a good feel for his curve. His slider is still filthy, but his curve is really good. I've seen video of Bert Blyleven's curveball and Giolito's is right up there. Gavin Floyd had a really good curve too, but Giolito's is even better because it breaks really hard and late. Honestly I think Giolito's curve is so good that umpires are having problems with it. He's not getting swing and misses because they can't pull the trigger. When he can start getting called strikes with it he's going to rack up the backwards Ks. Giolito and Floyd are a good comparison because they both got traded here after being the top pitching prospect in baseball, both had lost their elite fastball velocity when they first got here. Floyd eventually got the velocity back, but was inconsistent. Giolito has a three year head start under Cooper's tutelage (Floyd made it to the Bigs with the Sox at age 25, Giolito was 22 last season) so I expect him to gain the consistency that Floyd couldn't.
The thing about Lopez is that he's getting a ton of whiffs now, while Giolito didn't last year and isn't so far this season. It's still all potential for him, contingent on a lot of things working out just right. Lopez is the bird in the hand at the moment. When he has his command going, he honestly reminds me a bit of Pedro.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:33 AM
WSI Guru

I was kinda concerned this team hit *too many* home runs those first few games, because now they might fall into the trap of believing they are a power-laden team.

The past couple games have been reminiscent of the Walkerball Era. No home runs, no offense. Horrible approaches with RISP. Can't get the man in from third with less than two outs.

The GIDP swings are finely tuned, though!

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 04-09-2018, 04:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
And while I'm on the soapbox, I still can't wrap my head around why the Sox organization insisted on playing the games this past weekend.

No it is not just you; I totally agree on this point.

Today will be no great shakes either.

MLB has to smarten up, but they won't.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:14 AM
WSI High Priest

My random $0.02-

My mind set for 2018 is pretty much the same as 2017, progress is defined by prospects developing, potential trade chips doing well, and not really giving a **** when veterans that aren't a part of this at all perform poorly.

I have no issue with Delmonico learning to play LF at the major league level- when Jimenez is called up, he'll become the LH 4th OF/DH/1B he is destined to become, and if he can play an adequate LF it increases his market value.

I won't sweat Engel's final shot at being a starter- I like Cordell as the "bridge" CF to Robert when he's ready.

Avi continues to show that 2017 was not a fluke- while some posters here would have outright released him last April.

Sanchez looks like a credible placeholder 3B to me, could be our utility guy when we're contending again, would prefer him in the lead off spot vs. Moncada.

Anderson is a budding star- starting to draw walks, OBP in the .360's- love his progress at age 25.

Moncada is inconsistent, but I'm not worried, would prefer him hitting 9th (with Sanchez leading off) to simplify the game for him (for now).

Abreu is solid. So is Castillo.

Davidson looks better than 2017- his walk rate is 3-4X vs. last year, I'm not sold on him, but he's showing enough to be our DH this year, a platoon with Delmonico could be the future.

Lopez looks great, Giolito and Fulmer have been credible.

Jones is our 1 bullpen trade chip- looks pretty good.

April is a tough month to really evaluate talent- between weather, cancelled games, etc.- if we're around .500 and healthy entering May, I'm happy.

For the most part, I'm pretty happy with the early indications of progress with the rebuild in 2018 (other than the spring training injuries)- the crappy veterans in our rotation and in our bullpen looks pretty crappy- but I knew that going in to the season.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Castillo, Davidson, Delmonico, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez

Last edited by TomBradley72; 04-09-2018 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
What also matters is playing fundamentally sound baseball.

Agreed Shingo, Lopez and Rodon were the reasons to listen.
You need fundamentally sound players playing at the correct position to play that type of baseball. The White Sox OF is not comprised of fundamentally sound players. Delmonico and Garcia should not be playing the OF, but this is the reality of a rebuilding club.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:36 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
You need fundamentally sound players playing at the correct position to play that type of baseball. The White Sox OF is not comprised of fundamentally sound players. Delmonico and Garcia should not be playing the OF, but this is the reality of a rebuilding club.
This is a really good point. Avi is more of a LF, playing RF. Delmonico isn’t an OF. Leury is a utility IF.

Ideally Davidson and Delmonico would platoon at DH, occasionally relieving Abreu. But Davidson has been too good so far to be reduced to a platoon role.

I think Engel will be given more opportunity to figure out his hitting, because flanked with subpar defenders, his exceptional CF defense is needed to help our young pitchers.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:19 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
It's only a few games in but Garcia has yet to take a single walk so if he has a slump at hitting the ball, his value plummets to nothing. It's a shock to me the guy can't be better in the OF.

Delmonico has shown absolutely nothing this year. But still, small sample size.

Probably best to wait on both. Around ~40ish games played with some warmer weather should give us a better idea of if either should be part of the future.