White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 12:58 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
It isn't even the timeline that I don't like on him.

I don't think he is going to hit for power. I think he is a Ryan Sweeney type, a kid who just kind of does everything well, and might be a 270 hitter in the pros but won't scratch a .750 OPS.

Would love to be wrong, but I think he generates his power too much from his hands, and that never works in the pros.
I think Sweeney is a good comparison for his downside. But I also think it is far too early to make a judgment call on him. I'd want to see what he does this year, if he can make adjustments, before deciding if he is part of the future or not. I'm high on Adolfo so I'm hoping Rutherford is the odd man out whether he performs or not but Adolfo is far from a sure thing so I like the idea of some additional outfield depth to pick from.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I think Sweeney is a good comparison for his downside. But I also think it is far too early to make a judgment call on him. I'd want to see what he does this year, if he can make adjustments, before deciding if he is part of the future or not. I'm high on Adolfo so I'm hoping Rutherford is the odd man out whether he performs or not but Adolfo is far from a sure thing so I like the idea of some additional outfield depth to pick from.

Oh for sure. I am speaking as a fan who enjoys prospects. If I was a GM, I would not be so quick to write him off.

More just saying, if a Gerrit Cole for a Rutherford headlined type deal presented itself, I would drive him to the airport.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
Oh for sure. I am speaking as a fan who enjoys prospects. If I was a GM, I would not be so quick to write him off.

More just saying, if a Gerrit Cole for a Rutherford headlined type deal presented itself, I would drive him to the airport.
I'll pay for the gas.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:27 PM
WSI Prelate

Here's a Sox organization depth chart from South Side Sox:
https://www.southsidesox.com/2018/1/...white-sox-team
Old 01-16-2018, 12:57 PM
WSI Regular

MLB Pipeline has started to release their top 10 prospects by position. Today is RHP: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=rhp

1. Shohei Ohtani, Angels

2. Forrest Whitley, Astros

3. Michael Kopech, White Sox

4. Brent Honeywell, Rays

5. Walker Buehler, Dodgers

6. Mitch Keller, Pirates

7. Alex Reyes, Cardinals

8. Hunter Greene, Reds

9. Triston McKenzie, Indians

10. Sixto Sancez, Phillies
Old 01-16-2018, 01:23 PM
WSI High Priest

There can be only one Sixto!

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-16-2018, 03:34 PM
WSI Guru

Who was the Sox pitcher who recently passed away?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Who was the Sox pitcher who recently passed away?
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=147270

Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 AM
WSI Church Elder

MiLB breaks down the AL Central rookie candidates. Unsurprisingly, they lead with the White Sox.

Jimenez, Kopech nearly ready to contribute to White Sox rebuild

Quote:
Outfielder Eloy Jimenez and right-handed starting pitcher Michael Kopech-- MLB.com's No. 5 and 10 overall prospects, respectively -- should be banging down the door in 2018, according to the full-season projection system.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 01-17-2018, 09:52 AM
WSI Regular

Top LHP prospects came out today. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=lhp

Atlanta has THREE in the top 10 and all 3 project to be starters. Yikes...
Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Top LHP prospects came out today. http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=lhp

Atlanta has THREE in the top 10 and all 3 project to be starters. Yikes...
LHP is definitely one of the weakest spots in the White Sox system.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:30 PM
WSI Prelate

I think we have a strong number of solid prospects, but I think itís fair to say that we have areas of strength and other areas of weakness.

I think OF and RHP are stacked.

C seems decent, or at least much stronger than it has been in a long time.

1B/DH seems OK, but perhaps not with elite hitting talent.

Infield in general is a weakness, with middle infield being particularly barren now that Moncada has matriculated. On the other hand, we would appear to have - or at least the Sox think they have - 2B, SS, and utility IF addressed at the MLB level for the foreseeable future. LHP also seems weak, as ChiTownTrojan said.

Yes, we need to draft best player available, but hopefully we can find some solid SS and LHP prospects in the 2018 and 2019 drafts.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM
WSI Regular

Catchers: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018?list=c

Collins comes in at #9. His scouting report should come as no surprise- they like his arm accuracy, patience at the plate, and his power. He needs to work on becoming a better catcher (calling the game, framing, blocking) and also needs to cut down on the K's.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:49 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

How many years away do we think Burger is from the majors? Do Davidson/Yolmer hold down the hot corner until Burger is ready? Also, its pretty clear Hahn is going to make a run at Machado next winter. If they could pull off bringing him in that would be great. All reports says Machado wants to play SS going forward. Wonder where that would leave Anderson if Hahn could pull it off. Maybe TA could play the outfield or be a trade candidate.

Obviously a long shot at this point but I'm interested in seeing what Burger's future holds.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:58 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosiersoxfan View Post
How many years away do we think Burger is from the majors? Do Davidson/Yolmer hold down the hot corner until Burger is ready? Also, its pretty clear Hahn is going to make a run at Machado next winter. If they could pull off bringing him in that would be great. All reports says Machado wants to play SS going forward. Wonder where that would leave Anderson if Hahn could pull it off. Maybe TA could play the outfield or be a trade candidate.

Obviously a long shot at this point but I'm interested in seeing what Burger's future holds.
I too am very interested in how Burger pans out, and if his bat becomes MLB ready they will find a spot for him to play. Just look at how the Cubs juggle so many players in different positions. He could play 3b, 1b, DH, or LF likely. It seems Sanchez/Davidson will play 3b this upcoming season just by default, I would hope to have a more clear picture of that position by next season, with Burger's development or a trade/FA signing.

I don't see Anderson being anything other than a number 9 hitter due to his horrid K/BB ratio and very low OBP. He is still young, but the writing seems to be on the wall. In the scenario you pose with Machado at SS, Anderson is likely traded or is a super utility or plays the Javier Baez role.