White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #136  
Old 03-24-2020, 10:54 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,540
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Spring stats are almost meaningless most years. This year I’d say they’re completely meaningless.

We know from minor- and major-league track records that Cuthbert is a bad hitter and Romine is a terrible one. Delmonico is fair. Mercedes seems to be a player who could hit “falling out of bed”, in that he’s hit everywhere he’s been, but we still haven’t seen him face major league pitching.

Mercedes and Delmonico should only play the field in emergencies. I think Cuthbert and Romine are competent but I haven’t seen them enough.

The right answer may be “none of the above”. I appreciate the insight on why you want Cuthbert; I would rather have the third catcher/better bat. We agree that Delmonico makes no sense as the 26th man.
Garcia gives them a lot of flexibility in terms of OF defense. They can always move him to a corner spot in late innings and put in Mendick at 2B. Mendick also spent some time in LF during ST so if he can become a true super-sub that would be great.

And of course they have Engel to come in for Eloy late in games. Not sure how good Mazara is but accourding to bbref he's only -17 total run differential over 4 seasons, 418 games and 3500+ innings in RF. Not someone who is a defensive specialist, but certainly not Eloy bad and if Engel goes in to left, late in a given game, Robert could shade to right to give even more coverage as needed.

Not really sure how much we need more defensive coverage in the OF is all I'm saying, but it sure is fun to be having a discussion over who should be the last man off the bench. It feels like WSI in the spring...
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 03-24-2020, 12:46 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 1,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Spring stats are almost meaningless most years. This year I’d say they’re completely meaningless.

We know from minor- and major-league track records that Cuthbert is a bad hitter and Romine is a terrible one. Delmonico is fair. Mercedes seems to be a player who could hit “falling out of bed”, in that he’s hit everywhere he’s been, but we still haven’t seen him face major league pitching.

Mercedes and Delmonico should only play the field in emergencies. I think Cuthbert and Romine are competent but I haven’t seen them enough.

The right answer may be “none of the above”. I appreciate the insight on why you want Cuthbert; I would rather have the third catcher/better bat. We agree that Delmonico makes no sense as the 26th man.
I see the argument for Mercedes, but like you said he shouldn't be playing the field much, so his role is as a pinch hitter, or as a right-handed platoon partner for our right-handed DH. And the only guys he will really pinch hit for are whoever is playing 2B, and maybe Mazara (against LH relievers).

Again - the point is moot though, Mercedes was already optioned. FWIW, scouts have said for years that his hitting approach will be exploited by the better breaking stuff from MLB pitchers. We don't know whether or not that'll happen, but it could be a factor in the decision making. I do think he's a good option to be the "next man up" from Charlotte if/when there is an injury to Encarnacion, Abreu, McCann, or Grandal. I would like to see him get a chance at some point, and he likely will.

Eventually Madrigal will be up, and then Leury can become the super-sub that maximizes his roster spot. But even if as you say ST stats are meaningless, it sure seems like Madrigal played himself out of roster consideration with his weak performance.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 03-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,908
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post

They also might be looking at Mercedes as tradebait and are nervous about exposing him to the majors and losing value if he can't handle it regularly.
That strategy makes sense if you're trying to peddle a ranked prospect. But at this point, Mercedes is a AAAA player; not a proven AAAA player, there is some chance (certainly more than a year ago) but not much value. For him, it's worth the risk to give him MLB time to create some value, if a trade is what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 03-24-2020, 11:13 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,540
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
That strategy makes sense if you're trying to peddle a ranked prospect. But at this point, Mercedes is a AAAA player; not a proven AAAA player, there is some chance (certainly more than a year ago) but not much value. For him, it's worth the risk to give him MLB time to create some value, if a trade is what you're looking for.
Not sure I agree. He hasn't bee around long enough at higher levels. to make that judgement Sox got him off the Baltimore scrap heap after he only posted a .758 OPS in 12 games at AA after blowing everything up in the years prior to that. Sox sent him to A+ at 25 where he posted a .840 OPS in 2018. Last year he started back at AA and hit so well he went to AAA and blew that up. Then he came to ST and blew that up.

So right now he just looks like a guy who rakes and might be a late bloomer or someone who benefited from the new 3-outcome style of hitting. He's hit at every level all the way through.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 03-25-2020, 07:21 AM
A. Cavatica A. Cavatica is offline
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 7,579
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not sure I agree. He hasn't bee around long enough at higher levels. to make that judgement Sox got him off the Baltimore scrap heap after he only posted a .758 OPS in 12 games at AA after blowing everything up in the years prior to that. Sox sent him to A+ at 25 where he posted a .840 OPS in 2018. Last year he started back at AA and hit so well he went to AAA and blew that up. Then he came to ST and blew that up.

So right now he just looks like a guy who rakes and might be a late bloomer or someone who benefited from the new 3-outcome style of hitting. He's hit at every level all the way through.
He looks like the kind of player who will have a solid career in Oakland after we trade him for a relief prospect who can't throw strikes. We need to find out what we have and not trade him away.
Reply With Quote
  #141  
Old 03-25-2020, 10:29 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Not sure I agree. He hasn't bee around long enough at higher levels. to make that judgement Sox got him off the Baltimore scrap heap after he only posted a .758 OPS in 12 games at AA after blowing everything up in the years prior to that. Sox sent him to A+ at 25 where he posted a .840 OPS in 2018. Last year he started back at AA and hit so well he went to AAA and blew that up. Then he came to ST and blew that up.

So right now he just looks like a guy who rakes and might be a late bloomer or someone who benefited from the new 3-outcome style of hitting. He's hit at every level all the way through.
I'm going to take Tragg's side here and say that Mercedes is AAAA more than likely. He's put up some good minor league numbers but he was usually behind in the development curve and facing guys 2 or 3 years younger than him. The limited ST at bats I saw were usually against A ball pitchers, so I haven't seen anything from him that screams diamond in the rough.
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #142  
Old 03-25-2020, 05:30 PM
Tragg Tragg is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Gonzales LA
Posts: 15,908
Blog Entries: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
He looks like the kind of player who will have a solid career in Oakland after we trade him for a relief prospect who can't throw strikes. We need to find out what we have and not trade him away.
Agree.
Reply With Quote
  #143  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:08 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,737
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Here's a tweet from Jake Burger updating us on his current status. I saw this posted on the White Sox Premium Facebook group this afternoon.
https://twitter.com/Burgatron13/stat...02854217494528

I feel bad for the guy. It's been a rough 2 years for him. Not just physically, but emotionally too. Here's hoping he's able to battle back and show us what he can do at the plate.
Here's a good article in the Athletic from James Fegan about Jake Burger's tough road back (both physically and mentally):
https://theathletic.com/1704083/2020...ce=weeklyemail
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 3 (0 members and 3 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.