Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 04:36 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
God I can't wait until Shields is DFA.
Why not hope the new arm angle allows him to pitch effectively through June, and then gets dealt (along with a reliever) for a prospect, to make space for Kopech in the rotation?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Why not hope the new arm angle allows him to pitch effectively through June, and then gets dealt (along with a reliever) for a prospect, to make space for Kopech in the rotation?
We can hope, but it is unrealistic based on what he's been since that start on 5/31/16. I'd give it a <5% chance of happening.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Ill go a lot further. How about Shields having a Steve Carlton 1980 year, then sign a two year contract to anchor the contending Sox staff.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:10 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986
God I can't wait until Shields is DFA.
Like you, I certainly won’t miss him when he’s gone. I wanted him tossed aside last summer, and I don’t buy into this “new arm angle rebirth” any more than you do. However, now that the end of the Shields fiasco is within sight, we may as well just take the 100-170 IP (depending on whether or not he pitches his way into some trade value) and put the whole experience behind us. With all the young arms in the rotation, plus an injured Rodon, Shields and Gonzalez need to be the guys who sometimes can save the bullpen by giving a little bit extra (like going 7+ innings or throwing >100 pitches).
Old 03-18-2018, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Shields hasn't pitched well enough to be a 5th starter on a bad team, much less a good team, in 2+ seasons. But if he can, great. And they should be able to move some relievers.
But Hahn also needs to start building this team back up. They are still pitching short, imo, and have no depth in the middle infield.
And about Kopech....
Old 03-18-2018, 05:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
Ill go a lot further. How about Shields having a Steve Carlton 1980 year, then sign a two year contract to anchor the contending Sox staff.
Even if Shields does succeed, I cannot think of any situation where I would want him here past September 2018.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:17 PM
WSI Prelate

This is no way to talk about Opening Day starter James Shields!

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 03-18-2018, 05:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Shields hasn't pitched well enough to be a 5th starter on a bad team, much less a good team, in 2+ seasons. But if he can, great. And they should be able to move some relievers.
This x1000
Also-unpopular opinion alert: Kopech and Cease are more likely to be lights out relievers than an ace. I hope they prove me wrong though.

Last edited by whitesoxfan1986; 03-18-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:19 PM
WSI Church Elder

Good to see WSI in mid-season form today. It's only spring training and the misery is out in full force. I can't wait to see the reaction after this team hits inevitable struggles and the losses pile up once the season starts.

I hate to see the Sox lose as much as the next guy and I hate that this franchise was driven into a ditch over a 10 or so -year period, but some of you guys really love grinding that axe against Sox management.

There's an old saying that Sox fans love to be miserable. That stereotype is on full display today on March 18.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:24 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Good to see WSI in mid-season form today. It's only spring training and the misery is out in full force. I can't wait to see the reaction after this team hits inevitable struggles and the losses pile up once the season starts.

I hate to see the Sox lose as much as the next guy and I hate that this franchise was driven into a ditch over a 10 or so -year period, but some of you guys really love grinding that axe against Sox management.

There's an old saying that Sox fans love to be miserable. That stereotype is on full display today on March 18.
This.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 03-18-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
Three World Series titles in over 100 years.

Can you blame them?

Winning solves all problems. The White Sox have had some very nice stretches but they consistently come up short when it comes to the big prize.

That's not grinding an axe, that's historical facts.

And Shields sucks...that is all. 9-19 with the Sox with an ERA of 5.99.

Again those are the facts. For Tatis Junior.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:37 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Like you, I certainly won’t miss him when he’s gone. I wanted him tossed aside last summer, and I don’t buy into this “new arm angle rebirth” any more than you do. However, now that the end of the Shields fiasco is within sight, we may as well just take the 100-170 IP (depending on whether or not he pitches his way into some trade value) and put the whole experience behind us. With all the young arms in the rotation, plus an injured Rodon, Shields and Gonzalez need to be the guys who sometimes can save the bullpen by giving a little bit extra (like going 7+ innings or throwing >100 pitches).
Well said.

Let's face it, the Sox are not gunning for a playoff spot this year. We just need Shields to be able to eat up innings like he did the 2nd half next year. I'm not even holding my breath that he'll have any trade value. At any rate, he'll be gone after the end of this season and he won't be here when this team is good again in a year or two.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:17 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Past 500 someone start Spring Training Thread II and add whatever funky quip to make it yours you so desire...

Closed.

But the spirit lives on...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Closed Thread