GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 07:14 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Giolito is not hitting his spots. Look at where the catcher is setting up and where the ball ultimately arrives. He doesn't have good command of neither his fastball nor his curveball right now.

Renteria has had a bit of a longer leash with Giolito than he had with Fulmer. There were a few outings where Giolito could have been pulled after two or three innings but wasn't. There also were a few outings where Fulmer could have been left out there to soak up some innings after the horse left the barn, like Giolito has been allowed to do.

Yes, Giolito has been better than Fulmer, but not by much. They both aren't ready for life in the majors yet. I thought they both would be, but I was wrong. In hindsight, their placement in the starting rotation may have been too aggressive, and we may as well use their minor-league options to let them develop command of their pitches.
It's well known that catchers don't always set up where they want the ball thrown to prevent giving away information. I don't know for a fact this is the case, but it's certainly something to consider.

Here's Giolito's game log...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamel.../lucas-giolito

Since late April he's failed to make it to the 6th twice (he made it against the Pirates but got pulled after a leadoff single).

He's given up more than 5 runs in only one of those games. Now 5 isn't great but it's hardly world class bad either.

I'm not saying he's been a world beater. Clearly that's not true, but the simple fact is he has not been as bad as some are claiming, IMO and has been showing signs of improvement.

Will he survive and turn into an effective pitcher in the future? I don't know, but I disagree with the vehemence which people are screaming for his head in a season that isn't going anywhere anyway.

Edit: And just for comparison, here's Fulmer's game log. This is bad...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/gamel.../carson-fulmer

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 06-16-2018, 07:18 PM
WSI Personality

Pitchfx has not updated yet. How was his velocity? Was it trending up like last start?
Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Pitchfx has not updated yet. How was his velocity? Was it trending up like last start?
I was at the game, and FWIW, the scoreboard seemed to have his fastball at 92 more often than not.

He's bad. I mean, you look at the Detroit lineup today, and the bottom half of it is Triple-A quality. Giolito did fine against those guys. The top four or five hitters in the Detroit order torched him.

Even the first inning, when he got the Tigers 1-2-3, two of three outs were scorched. Turns out that first AB was the only time Castellanos made weak contact. Next two times, home runs.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 06-17-2018, 12:08 AM
WSI Personality

If you go to the Gameday, you can look at every pitch and the data from it. It is It seems like he was off the whole game today, as I didn't see any 94-95 mph fastballs today. He's not finishing properly and falling off the mound when that happens. Watch the guy when he throws a 93+mph fastball, and watch him when he throws a 90-91 mph fastball and you'll see two different finishes. His problems are completely mechanical.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
If you go to the Gameday, you can look at every pitch and the data from it. It is It seems like he was off the whole game today, as I didn't see any 94-95 mph fastballs today. He's not finishing properly and falling off the mound when that happens. Watch the guy when he throws a 93+mph fastball, and watch him when he throws a 90-91 mph fastball and you'll see two different finishes. His problems are completely mechanical.
This goes back to what I previously stated that Cooper needs to be replaced. I donít see him accomplishing anything with any of the Sox young pitchers. Coop canít seem to fix anything period.
Old 06-17-2018, 03:31 PM
WSI Personality

His velocity did drop last game back to season norms. I honestly don't know if we even have anything here to work with. We have a power pitcher (hit 100 in futures game) who has completely lost that aspect of his game and he can't locate off speed. He may be broken for good considering the velocity drop has been persistent. Maybe it's mechanical but we don't seem to be able to fix that either. Agree about Cooper but he's JR's man
Old 06-17-2018, 03:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986
His problems are completely mechanical.
OK. Letís assume this is the case; itís the most logical explanation I have heard for Giolitoís struggles. Now that we know what it is, we can send him to the minors to fix it. Down there, he can work exclusively on refining the mechanical problems without the added pressure of having to get big-league hitters out while heís doing it. Itís too tough to do both, and the remaining option means he doesnít have to do both.

This is another example of doing the rebuild the right way vs. doing it the quick way.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:07 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCWHITESOX View Post
This goes back to what I previously stated that Cooper needs to be replaced. I donít see him accomplishing anything with any of the Sox young pitchers. Coop canít seem to fix anything period.
Whoever fixed Covey (McCatty?) can have Coop's job.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by a. Cavatica View Post
whoever fixed covey (mccatty?) can have coop's job.

+1
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004