Konerko 6 11.76%
Buehrle 5 9.80%
Dick Allen 13 25.49%
Wilbur Wood 3 5.88%
The inventor of Churros 7 13.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-07-2018, 11:27 AM
WSI High Priest

I would vote for Minnie, Pierce, and Shoeless. Since Shoeless' ban was lifetime, I have no problem recognizing his steller play posthumously. Minnie's historical significance added to his steller play makes him a no-brainer to me. As far as Pierce goes, if Whitey Ford is in the HOF, so should Pierce be. Harold, Pauly, and Allen are close but miss out.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 11-07-2018, 09:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by asindc View Post
I would vote for Minnie, Pierce, and Shoeless. Since Shoeless' ban was lifetime, I have no problem recognizing his steller play posthumously. Minnie's historical significance added to his steller play makes him a no-brainer to me. As far as Pierce goes, if Whitey Ford is in the HOF, so should Pierce be. Harold, Pauly, and Allen are close but miss out.

Ironically, Joe Jackson was eligible for election to the Hall of Fame from its inception until the day he died. He wasn't declared ineligible until almost four decades after his death.

Jackson was declared permanently ineligible by baseball's first commissioner. People historically have referred to the restriction as a lifetime ban. There are people who continue to petition for Joe Jackson's reinstatement because the commissioner's office still considers the ban to be in effect.

Jackson's legacy is not his stellar play. It is the shame he brought to the game.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:33 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Jeremy Reed.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:02 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Jeremy Reed.
Ha
Old 11-08-2018, 01:54 AM
Official Professor

Quote:
Since Shoeless' ban was lifetime, I have no problem recognizing his steller play posthumously.
As TDog said, Joe's ban is "permanently ineligible," not "lifetime."

Quote:
Minnie's historical significance added to his stellar play makes him a no-brainer to me.
The first black Hispanic player, he faced double problems. He absolutely should be in.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 11-08-2018, 07:57 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica
Jeremy Reed.
He is now the Angelsí hitting coach.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:13 AM
WSI Regular

Billy Pierce was the best AL pitcher in the 50's and should be in. Minnie Minoso was one of the best players of his era. Coupled with the barriers he broke, I'd put him in too. Dick Allen was better than Jim Rice and was one of the most fearsome offensive threats ever and he should be in too.

Joe Jackson helped throw a World Series. Keep him out forever.

As for the rest, hall of above average to good (Baines) to hall of very good on the rest of them. As much as I loved Paulie he wasn't good enough to be in the hall of fame.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't forget Tommy John and Jim Kaat.

This. Along with Billy Pierce, these three lefties should be in the HOF.

"(Shoeless Joe) Jackson's fall from grace is one of the real tragedies of baseball. I always thought he was more sinned against than sinning." ------ Connie Mack..........................."I copied (Shoeless Joe) Jackson's style because I thought he was the greatest natural hitter I ever saw. He's the guy who made me a hitter."------ Babe Ruth"
Old 11-08-2018, 10:48 AM
WSI Church Elder

Minnie, Billy and Nellie for sure. If they were wearing Yankme pinstripes they’d be fated with the same accolades.

Joe unfortunately caught up in the freaking scandal. He’s a no brainer as well.

BK59
Old 11-08-2018, 01:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Minnie, Billy and Nellie for sure. If they were wearing Yankme pinstripes they’d be fated with the same accolades.

Joe unfortunately caught up in the freaking scandal. He’s a no brainer as well.

BK59
Kiu, Nellie is already in.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:07 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Don't forget Tommy John and Jim Kaat.
They belong but would probably not wear Sox caps on their plaques, especially Kaat. TJ might as he spent 8 years with the Yankees, 7 with the Sox, 6 with the Dodgers and another 7 with 3 other teams.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 11-08-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
Billy Pierce was the best AL pitcher in the 50's and should be in. Minnie Minoso was one of the best players of his era. Coupled with the barriers he broke, I'd put him in too. Dick Allen was better than Jim Rice and was one of the most fearsome offensive threats ever and he should be in too.

Joe Jackson helped throw a World Series. Keep him out forever.

As for the rest, hall of above average to good (Baines) to hall of very good on the rest of them. As much as I loved Paulie he wasn't good enough to be in the hall of fame.
Santo is in, then PK should be in. Besides that Santo was a jerk and a cry baby while PK was a class act.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:10 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Kiu, Nellie is already in.
Old man brain fart, Nell... You know how that goes. I can remember stuff from 1963 better than the stuff I did one month ago. By the way, have you seen my car keys? I hope I didnít leave them in the fridge next to the bottle of Geritol.

BK59
Old 11-08-2018, 03:12 PM
WSI Church Elder

I've always felt that Billy Pierce was overlooked by the HOF. His stats compare similarly to that of Whitey Ford, as they both were the ace of their staffs. Ford no doubt benefited from pitching for the power laden Yankees while Pierce's White Sox had to scratch and fight for every run they could get. My Dad often said if Pierce had pitched for the Yankees and Whitey Ford on the White Sox the outcomes would've been pretty much the same. Ford probably would've lost as many heartbreakers as Billy Pierce did.

All that being said, Ford no doubt was a HOF class pitcher as his W-L record and astounding .690 winning percentage would indicate. Now on to Billy Pierce, Tommy John and Jim Kaat and the case for their enshrinement in to Cooperstown.

Billy Pierce W-211 L-169 Wpct-.555
Tommy John W-288 L-231 Wpct- .555
Jim Kaat W-283 L-237 Wpct - .544

I've often wondered what the best 162 game stretch the above 3 had during their careers. I've been a little lazy at looking it up and figuring it all out, but the point I'm getting at, if Pierce, John, and Kaat were a singular baseball team what would their best 162 game record be? i.e. W-100 L-62 etc...and I'd bet that their 162 game record would be good enough to be a 1st place team, and that in my estimation would indicate that they were HOF caliber type pitchers during the prime of their careers.
Old 11-08-2018, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKlu59 View Post
Old man brain fart, Nell... You know how that goes. I can remember stuff from 1963 better than the stuff I did one month ago. By the way, have you seen my car keys? I hope I didnít leave them in the fridge next to the bottle of Geritol.

BK59
Hey **** happens but always remember that Serutan spelled backwards is natures.