And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
All true but if the state is broke and the affluent leave then my guess is that any disposable income that is left chases other forms of entertainment.
All forms of entertainment are out of line, prices for concerts and stage plays are insane. Movies are still reasonable but for the most part, nothing worth seeing.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Movies are still reasonable but for the most part, nothing worth seeing.
Depends on your point of view.

And no I can't guarantee anything other than at some point I won't be around but I simply don't feel that the Sox will be in the same situation with dynamic new ownership and as I stated, Portland, Salt Lake City, Charlotte, San Antonio don't scream BIG LEAGUE to me and I suspect the other owners either.

But keep fretting this if that's your pleasure.

Lip

Last edited by Lip Man 1; 04-17-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:41 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoG19 View Post
Charlotte
LOL. 810,000. Metro area 2.3 million.

Quote:
Lip, we're talking 12 years from now, not tomorrow. I posted last week that Chicago will drop to number 5 in metro population behind Houston and Dallas in 10 years, I forgot who the other city was. The Chicago metro area is now starting to lose population as more and more people are moving to the Sun Belt states. This will continue for decades to come so those cities you claim aren't MLB markets will be.
12 years from now? Those Sun Belt cities will be unlivable. It's not like Arizona where it's a "dry heat". The climate in those cities is going to resemble Kuala Lumpur. Chicago winters will be mild, and we have a great supply of water here. No, in 12 years, people are going to be moving to Chicago, not away from it.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:54 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FielderJones View Post

12 years from now? Those Sun Belt cities will be unlivable. It's not like Arizona where it's a "dry heat". The climate in those cities is going to resemble Kuala Lumpur. Chicago winters will be mild, and we have a great supply of water here. No, in 12 years, people are going to be moving to Chicago, not away from it.
The weather is barely predictable in five to seven days so to say that in twelve years Chicago resembles San Diego, temperature wise, wishful thinking.

People will move to this area and to the state of Illinois when the economy changes. If anything, the prevailing economic philosophy is moving us the other way.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 04-17-2017, 10:02 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
The weather is barely predictable in five to seven days so to say that in twelve years Chicago resembles San Diego, temperature wise, wishful thinking.

People will move to this area and to the state of Illinois when the economy changes. If anything, the prevailing economic philosophy is moving us the other way.
I agree with you that the state and Chicago economy are impacting our attendance. You can get to a point though where that doesn't matter, like the Cubs, although the Cubs are in a more affluent area and winning and those both make a huge difference.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:14 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Weather and climate are two different things.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
I agree with you that the state and Chicago economy are impacting our attendance. You can get to a point though where that doesn't matter, like the Cubs, although the Cubs are in a more affluent area and winning and those both make a huge difference.
For the moment, only for the moment.
Old 04-17-2017, 09:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
All true but if the state is broke and the affluent leave then my guess is that any disposable income that is left chases other forms of entertainment.
Actually the opposite seems to be closer to the truth in the city. The affluent are coming in while the blue collar/poor are getting squeezed out.

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 04-18-2017, 05:39 PM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Actually the opposite seems to be closer to the truth in the city. The affluent are coming in while the blue collar/poor are getting squeezed out.
Indeed. I work in the South Loop. There are cranes everywhere. There are new expensive apartment buildings and condo buildings popping up all over. Who's going to live there if everyone's leaving Chicago?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Indeed. I work in the South Loop. There are cranes everywhere. There are new expensive apartment buildings and condo buildings popping up all over. Who's going to live there if everyone's leaving Chicago?
Indeed. Many large corporate headquarters are moving into the city to take advantage of big tax breaks. With those headquarters come white collar workers and I'm sure at least some of them will live in the city.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Indeed. Many large corporate headquarters are moving into the city to take advantage of big tax breaks. With those headquarters come white collar workers and I'm sure at least some of them will live in the city.
Most of them will end up being cub fans.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
The Chicago metro area is now starting to lose population as more and more people are moving to the Sun Belt states. This will continue for decades to come so those cities you claim aren't MLB markets will be.
Hopefully the Barons move to Chicago so we can at least follow the AA affiliate of the Birmingham White Sox.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:28 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:

As we speak, Charlotte is the 22nd largest Metro area in the country
Charlotte has more people in their Metro area than these MLB towns, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, KC, Cleveland and Milwaukee.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 AM
WSI Village Atheist

Quote:
As we speak, Charlotte is the 22nd largest Metro area in the country. Charlotte has more people in their Metro area than these MLB towns, Pittsburgh, Cincinatti, KC, Cleveland and Milwaukee.
And the Sox are going to leave a Metro area of 9.5 million for one of 2.4 million and the gate is going to increase?
Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulwny View Post
Most of them will end up being cub fans.
Exactly.