White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2018, 12:20 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
My next visit was on July 20th and we dropped a DH to the Royals, what was memorable about that day was that the Sox honored the 1959 Sox between games but it was also the day that man walked on the moon for the first time and it was put on the SOX-O-GRAM IIRC about 3PM and the crowd of around 13,000 went nuts and of course they lit up the scoreboard and blew off some fireworks.

What a great story and great memory on a really historic day. I remember we were at a Family BBQ in Antioch IL that day.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:30 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
He also had the same birthdate as JFK-May 29.
Good day to be born...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 07-27-2018, 09:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
Who the Hell is Dooley Womack?
One of the many eccentric characters that have played MLB. He grew up near where we live now and attended Brookland-Cayce HS in Cayce SC.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:22 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
In the second video they show a shot of the scoreboard at Sicks Stadium (named after the beer baron). That exact scoreboard now hangs in left field at Safeco as part of their tribute to the Pilots.

Also there is some radio play by play from Dick Enberg who was the Angels announcer that season of California playing Seattle. I've heard it before and think it is on You Tube.

Excellent observation Lip. I don't know if my memory is correct on this or not, but I could've sworn the Sox and Pilots games from Seattle were televised back to Chicago on Ch 32. I seem to remember seeing Sicks Stadium on TV once or twice at most.

But I also know back in the WFLD Ch 32 days (1968-'72) the Sox west coast games from California were not on TV. But I can't say for certain if they transmitted the Seattle games back to Chicago.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:59 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
But I also know back in the WFLD Ch 32 days (1968-'72) the Sox west coast games from California were not on TV. But I can't say for certain if they transmitted the Seattle games back to Chicago.
Actually they were... both from California and for the first time ever from Oakland. That was part of the reason for the move from WGN. The fact that the Sox would have roughly 125 games being televised and would not be playing second fiddle to the Cubs.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:16 PM
WSI Personality

This thread got me a little more interested in the Pilots history, so I bought the documentary Short Flight In To History and in the bonus features the maker of the film and team historian Steve Cox mentions that ONLY ONE Pilots game was broadcast on TV in Seattle in 1969! So other teams fans and cities got to see more of the Pilots on TV than did native Seattleans.

The documentary also posted a website seattlepilots.com but it is no longer a working link. While searching for the website this link popped up. Some long lost Seattle Pilots photos from the Seattle Post Intelligence paper recently found some unpublished photos in their archives.

https://www.seattlepi.com/local/arti...ed-3860654.php
Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 PM
WSI Personality

Default 1969 Seattle Pilots on Pinterest

And you can always count on Pinterest for some great imagery. A quick search on the 1969 Seattle Pilots produced these images.

https://www.pinterest.com/stevegaruf...eattle-pilots/

P.S. I wonder who the last active player for the Seattle Pilots was. I remember Marty Pattin pitching for the Royals in to the late 70's and early 80's.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:52 PM
WSI Personality

Default Last Active Pilots Player in Major Leagues.

It looks like Fred "Chicken" Stanley was the last active Seattle Pilots player to play in the Major Leagues. Fred lasted until 1982 with the Oakland Athletics. Mike Marshall was 2nd ending his career with the 1981 NY Mets and Marty Pattin last pitched for the Royals in their Pennant winning year of 1980.

And in a postscript Relief Pitcher and forkball pitcher extraordinairre Diego Segui was the only Pilot to pitch for both the Pilots and Mariners.

From Wiki: Seguí holds the unique distinction of having pitched for both of Seattle's major league baseball teams, the Pilots and the Mariners, in the first game ever played by each franchise. In these contests, he earned a save for the Pilots in 1969, and absorbed the opening-day loss for the Mariners in 1977.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:55 AM
WSI Personality

Default Seattle Pilots Team Card Set on eBay

For those of you interested, I found (an bought) this set on eBay last week. It's a nice set of 43 cards of the Seattle Pilots. The beauty of this set is each players picture is in a Seattle Pilots uniform, and the majority of them were taken at old Comiskey Park. My only complaint is the print quality wasn't as sharp or crisp as I had hoped for, but for the money it's a pretty good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1969-SEATTL...8AAOSwa0VaE4ef