White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-19-2018, 03:37 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Avi Garcia is a better baseball player than Dan Palka. He is not a non-tender candidate.
I donít disagree with you, but thereís also the reality that Palka gives you probably 80-90% of Garciaís production at like 5% of the price. Not saying Iím for non-tendering Avi but Iím sure the above will be in the front officeís consideration.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:44 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
I donít disagree with you, but thereís also the reality that Palka gives you probably 80-90% of Garciaís production at like 5% of the price. Not saying Iím for non-tendering Avi but Iím sure the above will be in the front officeís consideration.
At least Palka is able to be in the lineup fairly regularly at different positions. A. Garcia spends most of his time on the DL.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
At least Palka is able to be in the lineup fairly regularly at different positions. A. Garcia spends most of his time on the DL.
True, and regardless, it seems pretty doubtful that either of them are anything but placeholders if weíre being realistic.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh
I don’t disagree with you, but there’s also the reality that Palka gives you probably 80-90% of Garcia’s production at like 5% of the price. Not saying I’m for non-tendering Avi but I’m sure the above will be in the front office’s consideration.
The off-chance of Avi replicating his 2017 production and bringing back a return at the trade deadline makes him a better candidate for the everyday RF job than Palka, even when the money is considered.

Palka should be in a platoon of sorts with Davidson at DH (with Sanchez getting benched more frequently against LHP as well). Who knows, maybe someone out there would be interested in trading for Sanchez, which would give us a chance to see where Davidson’s WAR could settle if he played 3B every day and allow Palka to DH every day.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:56 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzh View Post
True, and regardless, it seems pretty doubtful that either of them are anything but placeholders if weíre being realistic.
I'd agree with this although if Palka can keep hitting 20-25 home runs in part time duty he could be a viable bench option / late inning power threat / off the bench if the team gets good. Plus, and don't discount this, he's got charisma and fan appeal. Something the Sox badly need.
Old 10-19-2018, 06:46 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Avi Garcia is a better baseball player than Dan Palka. He is not a non-tender candidate.
Avi Garcia is ****. 0.3 WAR last year and paid 6.7 million dollars. Palka at least can hit, plus he's younger, cheaper, and lefthanded.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
"Sticking in the AL Central, the ChiSox may have to sell low on Avisail Garcia, whose injury woes and dreadful 2018 season make him a non-tender candidate at this point." -- mlbtraderumors.com
Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
WSI High Priest

Avi Garcia is going to be tendered a contract. As horrible as Aviís season was, only 13 points of OBP separated him from Palka. Regarding all facets of the game, both players finished at the same -11 Runs Above Average.
Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM
WSI Prelate

Mea culpa.

I apologize for including in my predictions for who would open and close 2019 in what outfields in our system, a prediction of who would start and finish in the major league outfield.

This triggered a subsequent discussion over the major league outfield.

This was not my intent.

To the mods, and to everyone who peruses and posts in ďMinor ObservationsĒ specifically to avoid the endless circular firing squad over the major league club, please accept my apology.

Can we go back to discussing the MINOR LEAGUE SYSTEM now?

Hereís a question to discuss:

After Eloy and Robert, how would each of us rank the next five OFs in the system: Basabe, Adolfo, Rutherford, Gonzalez, and Walker?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
WSI Prelate

Even though Basabe and Adolfo have louder tools and therefore higher ceilings, and while Gonzalez and even Walker may have higher floors (both could probably be acceptable fourth OFs right now and have lower risk of busting) ultimately I still rank Rutherford higher.

As far as their ceilings, Iíd rank them as follows:

1. Basabe (possible five-tool 20/20 CF with RF arm)
2. Adolfo
3. Rutherford
4. Gonzalez
5. Walker

As far as their floors, Iíd rank them as follows:

1. Gonzalez (at least a long-term fourth OF who can play all three slots)
2. Walker (at least a long-term fourth OF who can play CF and LF)
3. Rutherford (fourth OF or AAAA player)
4. Basabe (fifth OF or AAAA player)
5. Adolfo (AAAA player)

As far as bust potential, Iíd rank them as follows (lowest to highest bust odds):

1. Gonzalez (~80% to reach the majors and stick for a while)
2. Walker
3. Rutherford
4. Adolfo
5. Basabe

Others of course are free to disagree. Nevertheless, the fact that Rutherford has the superior hit tool, plus the projection to continue developing game power, Iíd rank him ever so slightly ahead of Basabe and Adolfo, because heís less likely to bust. In fact, I think heís less likely to bust than Robert. Barring a trade, I think Rutherford will be our RF in 2021, and be a reliable RBI producing 6-7 hitter.