GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2018, 01:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I agree with a lot of what you're saying and it is certainly reasonable. However what is unsaid is the pressure is starting to build on this organization to start showing some overall improvement next season. It's not just on Moncada or Gialito or whomever, it's franchise-wise.

They have been down for so long, all the metrics across the board...attendance, media coverage, advertising, TV ratings are poor, that the fan base while patient will not be patient forever.

Now in my mind that doesn't mean going from 62 to 75 wins, or somehow making a run at .500, it means improvement across the spectrum...better performances by the guys factoring into the rebuild, better fundamentals and less baseball-stupidity, better decisions by the field manager, a comprehensive review of the training / conditioning methods to see if anything is being missed leading to the serious multiple injuries. Just show the fan base that things are starting to come together.

Just was in touch earlier with someone in the front office and they agreed with me, the White Sox have got to show improvement next year or the fans are going to start to turn on the rebuild and start to become even more apathetic.
You're definitely not wrong there. If we're still having this conversation a year from now, there will have to be consequences. I think the performances of some of the minor league teams--Winston-Salem, for example--was promising in terms of that across-the-board fundamental improvement. And I really hope the experience of this past season will do some good. It's easy to forget that this was far and away the youngest roster in the Major Leagues in 2018. Abreu was the only position player on the entire roster with more than 700 MLB games under his belt, Shields and Soria were the only pitchers over the age of 30. With that in mind, the frustrating inconsistency makes a lot of sense. We'll see what they do this offseason to try to alleviate that a little bit, and as a group they have nowhere to go but up. Again, if it's the same old story next year, the heat will really be turned up. Until that happens, though, I think it's still reasonable to give them all the benefit of the doubt.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:05 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you're saying and it is certainly reasonable. However what is unsaid is the pressure is starting to build on this organization to start showing some overall improvement next season. It's not just on Moncada or Gialito or whomever, it's franchise-wise.

They have been down for so long, all the metrics across the board...attendance, media coverage, advertising, TV ratings are poor, that the fan base while patient will not be patient forever.

Now in my mind that doesn't mean going from 62 to 75 wins, or somehow making a run at .500, it means improvement across the spectrum...better performances by the guys factoring into the rebuild, better fundamentals and less baseball-stupidity, better decisions by the field manager, a comprehensive review of the training / conditioning methods to see if anything is being missed leading to the serious multiple injuries. Just show the fan base that things are starting to come together.

Just was in touch earlier with someone in the front office and they agreed with me, the White Sox have got to show improvement next year or the fans are going to start to turn on the rebuild and start to become even more apathetic.
It was a disappointing 2018- slower progress than expected at the major league level, and (mostly driven by injuries) slower progress in the minors as well- I'm hoping from a "law of averages" perspective, that we are "above average" in health in 2019 and we make up some ground and the pace of the rebuild accelerates next season- we'll see.

Beyond the product on the field- I see the rest of the operation extremely "stale". The TV and radio broadcast approach needs a major overhaul- I'm personally OK with Benetti, but I'd like to see Stone and especially Farmer/DJ replaced. The promotions are stale as well- a random example as attending "Fan Appreciation Day" the last home game of the season (I've always liked going to the final home game- especially if it's a day game (this year's was not))- it was a completely lame event- you would never know from the experience that it was anything other than an average Wednesday night game. You'd think with the current state of the fan base- they would put a little extra effort in- but they come across as pretty apathetic to me.

In my time as a fan- there were two periods where the White Sox really "overhauled" the operation- heading into 1971 (Chuck Tanner, new uniforms, Harry Caray added in the broadcast booth) and heading into 1982 (new uniforms, new announcers (Drysdale/Harrelson), some renovations to Comiskey, etc.)- I think this franchise needs the same mindset right now. BUT, Reinsdorf is not an owner/leader who drives change combined with his hyper loyalty to people in the org- so I doubt this happens as long as he's owner. I strongly wish he would sell the team- I think he is the ultimate problem with the franchise.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:42 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
It was a disappointing 2018- slower progress than expected at the major league level, and (mostly driven by injuries) slower progress in the minors as well- I'm hoping from a "law of averages" perspective, that we are "above average" in health in 2019 and we make up some ground and the pace of the rebuild accelerates next season- we'll see.

Beyond the product on the field- I see the rest of the operation extremely "stale". The TV and radio broadcast approach needs a major overhaul- I'm personally OK with Benetti, but I'd like to see Stone and especially Farmer/DJ replaced. The promotions are stale as well- a random example as attending "Fan Appreciation Day" the last home game of the season (I've always liked going to the final home game- especially if it's a day game (this year's was not))- it was a completely lame event- you would never know from the experience that it was anything other than an average Wednesday night game. You'd think with the current state of the fan base- they would put a little extra effort in- but they come across as pretty apathetic to me.

In my time as a fan- there were two periods where the White Sox really "overhauled" the operation- heading into 1971 (Chuck Tanner, new uniforms, Harry Caray added in the broadcast booth) and heading into 1982 (new uniforms, new announcers (Drysdale/Harrelson), some renovations to Comiskey, etc.)- I think this franchise needs the same mindset right now. BUT, Reinsdorf is not an owner/leader who drives change combined with his hyper loyalty to people in the org- so I doubt this happens as long as he's owner. I strongly wish he would sell the team- I think he is the ultimate problem with the franchise.
I agree with you on all your points, especially JR, a fish rots from the head down and he's been the head for almost 38 years. His horrible decisions down through the years have alienated the fan base to no end.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:16 PM
WSI High Priest

Why so anti Stone?
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 10-08-2018, 01:46 AM
Official Professor

I dread having Bennetti for the next couple of decades.

"Nellie Fox, that little son of a gun, was always on base and was a great hit-and-run man. He sprayed hits all over."
Yogi Berra in the New York Sunday News (July 12, 1970)
Old 10-08-2018, 03:41 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
I'm rather fond of him. In fact, I'm seeing him at a DePaul alumni event next week. I'm sorry he's not cut from the same cloth as the broadcasters you grew up with or that he doesn't match your preconceptions of what you think a baseball broadcaster should be, but outside of this board, I have yet to hear one complaint about him. Plus, on top of his ability, he's with the team he grew up watching, which is a big positive. Broadcasters are evolving as they always have, and I think he has potential to be one of the greats of the next generation.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
They need to improve with young players or elite free agents. They could sign Cutch, Moustakas and Corbin (or make more of their patented trades for proven veterans) and improve into the 70s...but that would also whitewash the reality and slow down the rebuild.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:55 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
I'm rather fond of him. In fact, I'm seeing him at a DePaul alumni event next week. I'm sorry he's not cut from the same cloth as the broadcasters you grew up with or that he doesn't match your preconceptions of what you think a baseball broadcaster should be, but outside of this board, I have yet to hear one complaint about him. Plus, on top of his ability, he's with the team he grew up watching, which is a big positive. Broadcasters are evolving as they always have, and I think he has potential to be one of the greats of the next generation.
I'm another old fart who needs to get out of the way or at least shut up. I go back to the days of Brickhouse on TV and Bob Elson on the radio. As a rule, but not across the board I'm not fond of the modern day announcers in any sport. They tend to be bland and have cookie cutter voices and personalities on the air. As for Benetti, he has the announcer school voice but some individual idiosyncrasies that set him apart. I'm not crazy about Sox math and sticks and Stone but every announcer has the right to carve his own niche. I can't complain about cookie cutter announcing and then criticize a guy for doing something different. He is obviously very intelligent and witty but I found some of the repartee between him and Stone to be quite painful. I think he will be around for as long as he wants and the fans seem to like him quite a bit. I should also add that I've never heard him call anything but Sox baseball and I really should rectify that. Like I said I've been watching and listening to Sox baseball for over 6 decades, sometimes I can hear the voice of Bob Elson as I drift off to sleep just as I often did as a kid. Rooney and Farmer are all my all time favorite announcing duo. BTW, why no love for Farmer, he's local and loves the Sox too? Yeah, I know. He's not the greatest play by play guy.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:24 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Same here, and he is well-regarded enough to do national broadcasts and football and basketball, to boot. The guy is a talent and I'm happy we have him.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 10-08-2018, 11:26 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Same here, and he is well-regarded enough to do national broadcasts and football and basketball, to boot. The guy is a talent and I'm happy we have him.

And I think the broadcast will improve as the team improves.

2019 Sox Attendance Tracker: 9-6
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 10-08-2018, 11:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox
Huge improvement over Ken Harrelson.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:12 PM
WSI Prelate

I like Bennetti; I think he will do a good job connecting with the next generations of Sox fans.

As long as we are taking about rebuilds, and what we want, I have some suggestions to continue the rebuild in the Sox broadcast booths.

1. I think the Sox need to find a professional radio play-by-play announcer, and then go with a three-man booth with Farmer and DJ as analysts. I think both Farmer and DJ are quite good at analysis; Farmer was great as an analyst with Rooney (and earlier, with Wayne Hagin) and DJ has been a solid analyst when not hamstrung with a bad PBP guy like Farmer (or earlier, with Hawk).

2. I would like to see the Sox get AJ Pierzynski into the mix as a color analyst for TV, eventually to split time with and then replace Stone, and to fill in for when Bennetti's ESPN duties take him out of the Sox TV booth.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Agreed. To each their own, so there's no "right" answer on a person's opinion of Benetti. But, I think he's just fine and I think he's been well-received by Sox fans. I also think it's a huge plus that he grew up a Sox fan. I remember when Harry Caray jumped ship to the Bad Guys and many people were complaining that the Sox brought in a couple of generic announcers in Drysdale and Harrelson to replace the legendary Caray. Change often isn't easy.

I also think he was a great hire considering the Sox could have really gotten some generic stiff, a popular ex-player with poor PBP skills, or someone who is terrible at baseball PBP (IMO) like Chuck Swirsky to be their new guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SI1020 View Post
I'm another old fart who needs to get out of the way or at least shut up. I go back to the days of Brickhouse on TV and Bob Elson on the radio. As a rule, but not across the board I'm not fond of the modern day announcers in any sport. They tend to be bland and have cookie cutter voices and personalities on the air. As for Benetti, he has the announcer school voice but some individual idiosyncrasies that set him apart. I'm not crazy about Sox math and sticks and Stone but every announcer has the right to carve his own niche. I can't complain about cookie cutter announcing and then criticize a guy for doing something different. He is obviously very intelligent and witty but I found some of the repartee between him and Stone to be quite painful. I think he will be around for as long as he wants and the fans seem to like him quite a bit. I should also add that I've never heard him call anything but Sox baseball and I really should rectify that. Like I said I've been watching and listening to Sox baseball for over 6 decades, sometimes I can hear the voice of Bob Elson as I drift off to sleep just as I often did as a kid. Rooney and Farmer are all my all time favorite announcing duo. BTW, why no love for Farmer, he's local and loves the Sox too? Yeah, I know. He's not the greatest play by play guy.
Good point about the segments he does. Like them or not, give him credit for trying to carve out his own niche.

As far as his interaction with Stone, Steve is already 70 and I wouldn't be surprised if he retires within the next few years.
Old 10-08-2018, 12:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie_fox View Post
i dread having bennetti for the next couple of decades.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohoney View Post
huge improvement over ken harrelson.

+1
Old 10-08-2018, 12:59 PM
WSI Church Elder

I'm not fond of Sox math, but I really like Bennetti. I think he and Stone get along quite well, and they're pretty comical to boot. Jason has a quick wit, and is very good with good-natured ribbing.

A huge upgrade from the tired schtick we had for decades.

I agree with getting a good play by play person for the radio team.

Stone knows the game, was successful at it as a player, and seems to be a genuinely nice guy as well. He will most likely retire before long due to his age, but you never know.

I too think some of the perceived silliness will disappear as play improves.