GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2018, 12:01 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
Ricky's boys can't quit if they don't play.

This team is an absolute joke and losing like this does not help anyone on the team. Especially the young guys.

There is going to be a major boycott if this rebuild fails.

We may be 4 to 5 years away from actually having a chance.

One freaking win at home and it's almost May.
Tired of this garbage.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:19 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
This is how things get going in a bad way. Part of asking people to be nicer to each other means letting people be free to be upset or happy or confused or whatever. Certainly the post game thread at the end of a 7 game losing streak where the Sox have just been outscored 30-2 or something in the last 3 games is a valid place to express that frustration.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas35forever View Post
Probably where this rebuild is going. You're right.
Good analogy.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Getting swept at home by the defending world champions, a team that is loaded with pitching and hitting, during the “bottoming out” year following almost a complete sell-off of nearly every player of value for prospects, is no more an indication of the eventual end result of the rebuild, than anything else.

I get that we are all frustrated. My son was born during the last season the Sox made the playoffs. He’s about to turn 10.

But this over the top cumulonimbus dark cloud crystal ball prognostication of ultimate failure strikes me as wildly premature, panic-induced, and even ahistorical.

I’m 41. I remember similarly bleak seasons in the late 80s and the late 90s. But eventually winning baseball returned, and in a much tougher division/playoff landscape than exists now, with two wild cards. And while the late 80s and late 90s proved to be fertile periods for accumulating prospects, to my recollection the Sox have not previously had the depth of quality prospects that we have now. And while we might now have much more to trade, we will have a high draft choice this year and likely another one in 2019. Only the first wave of youngsters has arrived, and they are still adjusting to the majors. We’ll have another wave arrive this year (Eloy and Kopech), another in 2019, another in 2020, and likely subsequent annual waves through 2023. And each of those waves of players will have to adjust to the majors. That means that, barring a catastrophic epidemic of injuries, the rebuild is likely not to crest until 2025! In other words, I expect the team to improve every year between 2019 and 2025. Six years of continuous improvement means this team will be young and hungry for the first half of the 2020s, and possibly a juggernaut for the second half of the decade. That possibility is what keeps me interested - and relaxed.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:57 AM
WSI High Priest

I'd like to see Santiago replace Gonzalez in the rotation- he could be a LH piece of the rotation this year and next.

When Rodon is healthy - he replaces either Fulmer or Shields.

When Kopech is ready later this year- the rotation gets another upgrade.

2nd half rotation- Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Santiago, Giolito.

Jimenez replaces Delmonico in LF later this summer- at that point either Davidson or Delmonico will need to go.

If Cordell was healthy- he would be getting the Trayce Thompson playing time- he could have been an interesting transition CF until Robert is ready, maybe a 4th/5th OF when we're good.

I think this team will be like the 1989 White Sox- better in the 2nd half.
Anderson, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Old 04-23-2018, 09:16 AM
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
This is kind of one of those beliefs that is because of who we remember and how our brains work. You remember the Palmers and the Woods, but you don't remember the guys who arms fell off after 3 years and never did much. There were also a lot less pitchers in use back then. 4 man rotations, less teams, shorter bullpens, led to a lot less demand for one of the most stressful physical endeavors in any sport. As demand has increased it is not surprising if the failure rate has gone up.
Pitchers, and hitters, didn't have as many strike outs back then either. I don't think guys had such high pitch counts because there weren't as many strikeouts or walks, the ball was put in play a whole lot more.

Go Sox!!!
Old 04-23-2018, 09:35 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Not much more to say, yes?
umm......at least the weather was nice?
Old 04-23-2018, 10:00 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
This is how things get going in a bad way. Part of asking people to be nicer to each other means letting people be free to be upset or happy or confused or whatever. Certainly the post game thread at the end of a 7 game losing streak where the Sox have just been outscored 30-2 or something in the last 3 games is a valid place to express that frustration.
Venting is one thing but predicting that we're "4-5 years from having a chance" and declaring a rebuild that is in its infancy as a "dead end" doesn't leave much room for healthy discussion.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Venting is one thing but predicting that we're "4-5 years from having a chance" and declaring a rebuild that is in its infancy as a "dead end" doesn't leave much room for healthy discussion.
You don't have to reply to every single post on the forum. It's possible simply to walk away and let people vent.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:11 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Chappas View Post
Just waiting for the Sox to develop a position player.

Until I see that, I will not trust that they can pull this off.

I'll wait through the rebuild because I'll always be a fan, but these are some frustrating times and the Sox have done nothing to earn my trust in them.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Fans need something more than lopez at this stage of rebuild.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:22 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
You don't have to reply to every single post on the forum. It's possible simply to walk away and let people vent.
I like this place because not everyone is 100% on board with everything the Sox are doing.

I have a hard time on Reddit because if you say anything negative about the organization, you become a pariah.

I have no issue with anyone criticizing my criticisms. We all hope for the same thing. A winning team.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:24 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck View Post
Fans need something more than lopez at this stage of rebuild.
I think if Moncada turns it around he could be that shining light that will get EVERYONE to drink the Kool-aid.

Like I said. I need a position player to show some stardom.

I know what Cooper can do. I trust him.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:32 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
I think if Moncada turns it around he could be that shining light that will get EVERYONE to drink the Kool-aid.
Yea I guess Moncada would do it considering he was the guy the Sox gave up their best pitcher since, heck I dont know when.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I'd like to see Santiago replace Gonzalez in the rotation- he could be a LH piece of the rotation this year and next.

When Rodon is healthy - he replaces either Fulmer or Shields.

When Kopech is ready later this year- the rotation gets another upgrade.

2nd half rotation- Rodon, Lopez, Kopech, Santiago, Giolito.

Jimenez replaces Delmonico in LF later this summer- at that point either Davidson or Delmonico will need to go.

If Cordell was healthy- he would be getting the Trayce Thompson playing time- he could have been an interesting transition CF until Robert is ready, maybe a 4th/5th OF when we're good.

I think this team will be like the 1989 White Sox- better in the 2nd half.
I've seen others say the same thing and I just don't see it happening. I don't think the Sox do either. There is a reason why Santiago was not used as SP in ST. He made one start in the spring; if the Sox thought he was going to be a contributor to the starting rotation he would have made more spring starts. He's a solid reliever and someone that can come in and give you a few innings if the starter needs to be pulled early - like he did recently in Fulmer's last start. But even then, he only threw 2 1/3 innings in that game. I just don't see him going out there and giving the team 6 innings every start which is what they need at this point.