Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2018, 11:11 PM
WSI Guru

Default Broadcast News...

Bruce Levine is reporting tonight at the Score web site (I know, take it with a grain of salt) that at the end of October 2019 WGN-TV is officially out of the sports business locally after almost 80 years.

He writes, "Either an entire cable package or some kind of subscription format will be in place for Chicago fans to purchase cable or digital sports programming after the present deal between NBC Sports Chicago and the Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls expires in the early fall of 2019."

He says the difference per baseball team between what they get from NBC Sports Chicago and WGN is 550,000 dollars per game. 750,000 vs. 200,000.

He also writes that the Cubs are hoping when they get their new broadcast rights to get ONE MILLION DOLLARS per game.

He also says that if the Cubs do go their own way the other three teams will have their own regional sports network be it back at NBC Sports Chicago or elsewhere since the relationship between JR and Rocky Wirtz is very solid.
Old 06-30-2018, 04:45 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Bruce Levine is reporting tonight at the Score web site (I know, take it with a grain of salt) that at the end of October 2019 WGN-TV is officially out of the sports business locally after almost 80 years.

He writes, "Either an entire cable package or some kind of subscription format will be in place for Chicago fans to purchase cable or digital sports programming after the present deal between NBC Sports Chicago and the Cubs, White Sox, Blackhawks and Bulls expires in the early fall of 2019."

He says the difference per baseball team between what they get from NBC Sports Chicago and WGN is 550,000 dollars per game. 750,000 vs. 200,000.

He also writes that the Cubs are hoping when they get their new broadcast rights to get ONE MILLION DOLLARS per game.

He also says that if the Cubs do go their own way the other three teams will have their own regional sports network be it back at NBC Sports Chicago or elsewhere since the relationship between JR and Rocky Wirtz is very solid.
Good for them if they can get it. You'll get nothing from me.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-30-2018, 07:53 AM
WSI Church Elder

I'd be happy to see the north siders on their own channel / network. Hopefully, they'll take their cheerleaders with them when they leave NBC/Comcast Sports however it's called.

If the rumor is true, that will be one less reason to watch WGN. The only channel with more commercials is AMC. Other than the Sox and some Hawks games they have nothing to draw my attention. Lose those, and they're not worth tuning in.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 AM
WSI High Priest

I can't prove this, but I thought I heard somewhere the Sox and Cubs show by far the most games on regular TV in the league. Both teams show around 60-65 games, while the majority of the league teams only show 20-30.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:53 AM
WSI Regular

Most teams now have NO games on broadcast TV. The Mets have 25, the Yankees have 21. A handful of other teams broadcast 10 or fewer. Chicago (69 Cubs games, 55 Sox games) is the last city where there's a significant number of games on free TV.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 PM
WSI Personality

I was really hoping this post was about Farmer and DJ no longer being part of the radio broadcasts, oh well..
Old 07-02-2018, 01:03 PM
WSI Personality

Wow that's huge news. WGN has been covering baseball for as long as I've been alive. Mostly Cubs that's for sure, but I was happy the Sox went back in 1981 to the Superstation.

In years past I've watched 100+ Sox games a season, but with a new job switch I hardly get to see them now except on weekends. So a PPV package probably won't make sense for me.

PS. I hope WGN empties the vaults, I would love to get my hands on a WGN no hitters boxset similar to what the Yankees put out a few years back. I remember Joel Horlen's no hitter vs the Tigers in '67 followed by Kenny Holtzman's 2 no hitters in '69 and '71, and the two no hitters in '72 Burt Hooten vs the Phillies and Milt Pappas' near perfect game against SD. (I was at the game the day before Milt's no hitter.)
Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wsoxmike59 View Post
PS. I hope WGN empties the vaults, I would love to get my hands on a WGN no hitters boxset similar to what the Yankees put out a few years back. I remember Joel Horlen's no hitter vs the Tigers in '67 followed by Kenny Holtzman's 2 no hitters in '69 and '71, and the two no hitters in '72 Burt Hooten vs the Phillies and Milt Pappas' near perfect game against SD. (I was at the game the day before Milt's no hitter.)
It's not up to WGN for anything you suggest, it is up to MLB. And by the way the only known footage that still exists of Horlen's no-hitter are the last two outs on film.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:59 AM
WSI Personality

Maybe the new Cubs network will do what Sportsvision did for the Sox in the 80's....
Old 07-03-2018, 12:21 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Cubs don't matter.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:29 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
Maybe the new Cubs network will do what Sportsvision did for the Sox in the 80's....
In the 80's cable was not everywhere. They were laying cable for the first time in the country through the mid 80's. Satellite dishes had diameters measured in yards, not inches like today (and were in most rural areas that we not wired for cable). Also, Sportsvision required extra equipment for your television.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:38 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
In the 80's cable was not everywhere. They were laying cable for the first time in the country through the mid 80's. Satellite dishes had diameters measured in yards, not inches like today (and were in most rural areas that we not wired for cable). Also, Sportsvision required extra equipment for your television.
I know. I should have tealed it... sorry.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:47 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
I know. I should have tealed it... sorry.
Or deep pink...…

I think Yu Darvish will do more damage to the fan base than anything else right now.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:57 PM
WSI Personality

This should be interesting. The sports broadcast rights bubble is close to popping imo, and there's a perfect storm facing the Sox between tv ratings, the Cubs' success, the Sox' lack of success, cord cutters, etc. I think we will see neither the term nor the value that everybody's grown to expect.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:16 PM
WSI Prelate

I'm not an expert in this field, but what keeps the Sox from landing an exclusive deal with WGN on the cheap?

Especially when payroll is down as it is today.

The Sox need the marketing edge here, Free TV might not be a bad idea.

As bad as we want to say The Score (Radio) is, the Sox losing that deal was a terrible.