GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2020, 11:59 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I remember "somber streak" and something about giant snails but forget the details on both of those.
The streak was that the Sox won their eighth game in a row, for the second time that season -- in May 2005. The Jays catcher slid hard into second, banged his head and was carried off the field after briefly losing consciousness. It was a longish delay and his breathing was labored so people were worried. It turned out to be a concussion, from which he recovered.

IIRC The snails were featured in a big photo display and story above the fold with the Sox story pushed to the bottom of the page, but I can't recall what the Sox had just done.

Above the fold -- the young folk are no doubt wondering what that even means.

Last edited by SoxandtheCityTee; 02-04-2020 at 12:07 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I remember that game very clearly. I want to say a loss would have reduced the lead in the division to .5 games.
"Joe! Crede!" was very memorable.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:35 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
The streak was that the Sox won their eighth game in a row, for the second time that season -- in May 2005. The Jays catcher slid hard into second, banged his head and was carried off the field after briefly losing consciousness. It was a longish delay and his breathing was labored so people were worried. It turned out to be a concussion, from which he recovered.

IIRC The snails were featured in a big photo display and story above the fold with the Sox story pushed to the bottom of the page, but I can't recall what the Sox had just done.

Above the fold -- the young folk are no doubt wondering what that even means.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I remember "somber streak" and something about giant snails but forget the details on both of those.
We got a WSI meme out of it but it seems to be linked to a story about a murder near Wrigley Field.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-04-2020, 06:57 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
We got a WSI meme out of it but it seems to be linked to a story about a murder near Wrigley Field.

The giant snail was related to a murder that happened right outside the Cubby Bear in 2004. The story of the murder didn’t get much coverage in the next day’s Tribune, which also featured a story about a giant snail.

Can’t remember all the details, but here’s the WSI thread on the subject, started right when it was breaking news.

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...ighlight=Snail
Old 02-05-2020, 06:44 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Why the White Sox had Kaplan on the main stage at Sox Fest this year is a bigger mystery. Everyone around me was stunned and many in the audience booed him on introduction, then settled down to hear the panelists. He's a first-order creep. Including him in hopes that he will be more even-handed in covering the Sox this year (if that was the reason) was a major miscalculation. He has to play to his base.
Unless they want a “bad-guy wrestler” in the tradition of the Lego-haired loudmouth who used to pollute the back page of the Sun-Times...
Old 02-10-2020, 10:41 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I still have not forgiven the Chicago Media members who openly rooted for a collapse. That includes moron bozo jackass ******** Kaplan and a guy who has now switched to the White Sox from the Cubs but still boasts about how much attention he got in 2005.

And Eric Zorn. Him of the "tragic number"; to him it would have been a tragedy if the Indians didn't somehow overtake the Sox and win the division.

Maybe he was auditioning for a new job at the Plain Dealer? LOL... Not a lateral move.