Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2020, 05:12 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Spring Training 2020

The Sox have announced their broadcast schedule for spring training.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2020/1/...dcast-schedule

Also, they have announced 27 non-roster invitees to camp: 15 free agents and 12 minor leaguers:
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/spor...izona/2204856/

Pitchers and catchers report 3 weeks from tomorrow and the first Cactus League game is 1 month from tomorrow!
Old 01-21-2020, 09:09 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Calling Palka a prospect is lazy journalism. He's organizational filler, just like Delmonico and Skole and Cuthbert and the other players who signed new minor league contracts. Do they really need to give incentives to get journeymen to sign?

The only ones in this group who have any prospect luster remaining are Anderson, Burr, Frare and maybe Lindgren.

I do agree with inviting the non-Palka "prospects" to camp. I am surprised they didn't invite Xavier Fernandez (the catcher they signed from KC), but I am happy to see Carlos Perez on the list, and with Zavala and Mercedes on the 40-man they have an awful lot of catchers.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:02 AM
WSI Prelate

No one else excited about spring training being 3 weeks away and 1 month away from games?

So far, just one reply complaining about Palka.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Palka and Delmonico are obviously being groomed for future jobs in the White Sox front office.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 01-22-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Palka and Delmonico are obviously being groomed for future jobs in the White Sox front office.
No teal necessary.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:14 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
No one else excited about spring training being 3 weeks away and 1 month away from games?

Very excited. There’s going to be a lot of fresh faces from the big squad and minors to see. Always a few kids who step up and stand out from the lower levels among that new group as well as the NRIs.

I’m most excited to watch Kopech and Cease and the pitching pool in general from kids like Burr, Burdi, Hamilton, Johnson, Heuer, Foster, Flores, Medeiros, Hansen (yeah, I still have hope) on up to the big names like Stiever, Dalquist and Thompson.

Of course, I definitely want to see Vaughn in a Sox jersey among other advanced guys like Robert, Madrigal and Sheets. Burger being healthy and hitting would be a nice bonus, he flashed an exciting bat before tragedy struck twice with the achilles.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post

Are people here excited about seeing Madrigal or Vaughn or even Stiever? Nope, all people can see is that Palka is on the list. You'd think he was the headliner of the non-roster invitees based on the reaction so far.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Very excited. Thereís going to be a lot of fresh faces from the big squad and minors to see. Always a few kids who step up and stand out from the lower levels among that new group as well as the NRIs.

Iím most excited to watch Kopech and Cease and the pitching pool in general from kids like Burr, Burdi, Hamilton, Johnson, Heuer, Foster, Flores, Medeiros, Hansen (yeah, I still have hope) on up to the big names like Stiever, Dalquist and Thompson.

Of course, I definitely want to see Vaughn in a Sox jersey among other advanced guys like Robert, Madrigal and Sheets. Burger being healthy and hitting would be a nice bonus, he flashed an exciting bat before tragedy struck twice with the achilles.

Agreed.

Here's James Fegan's look at the Sox non-roster invitees:
https://theathletic.com/1552485/2020.../?redirected=1
Old 01-22-2020, 12:34 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
No.

They were invited to boost the self-confidence of the younger Pitchers.

The last time I was this excited about ST was 2006.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Very excited. Thereís going to be a lot of fresh faces from the big squad and minors to see. Always a few kids who step up and stand out from the lower levels among that new group as well as the NRIs.

Iím most excited to watch Kopech and Cease and the pitching pool in general from kids like Burr, Burdi, Hamilton, Johnson, Heuer, Foster, Flores, Medeiros, Hansen (yeah, I still have hope) on up to the big names like Stiever, Dalquist and Thompson.

Yes definitely Kopech and Cease are the main guys I'm excited to see, as I think they are ultimately the key to success for the teams in the coming years.

Of the guys not mentioned, I actually am a bit interested in seeing Mazara and if something really did click in his 35ish games he played in his quality second half last year.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:56 PM
WSI High Priest

Looking forward to seeing how far Kopech has come back.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 01-22-2020, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post

Are people here excited about seeing Madrigal or Vaughn or even Stiever? Nope, all people can see is that Palka is on the list. You'd think he was the headliner of the non-roster invitees based on the reaction so far.
By ďpeopleĒ you mean me, and Iím ecstatic to see the prospects. So much so that I will be pissed about every inning or at bat that goes to a bum like Palka.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:04 AM
WSI Prelate

Sox equipment started heading to Arizona on Friday. Pitchers and catchers report next Wednesday!

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/wh...ks-for-arizona
Old 02-03-2020, 09:18 PM
WSI Personality

It can't get here soon enough!

Me and my ten year old are heading down for our third straight year. Trying to start a little father-son tradition!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:13 AM
WSI Church Elder

Reading about the equipment getting shipped is what really gets the blood pumping for me . this is my favorite time of year.