Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2020, 10:47 AM
WSI Prelate

I can be very "dark cloud" at times on WSI, but I want to give a big thank you and kudos to the Sox.

My son is 8, and very unique. He is high functioning autistic and also ADHD. He has auditory sensitivities and crowds really can freak him out at times. He has 2 favorite players, because he plays 2b. He loves Moncada and Madrigal (we watch a lot of highlights and youtube on him).

The Sox got him accomodations to meet those 2, and then allowed him to line up with the disabilities group whenever he felt overwhelmed (oddly, Friday he did and Saturday he was more ready I guess and did the normal lines with his noise cancelling headset on). They also had a quiet sensory room for those who needed it.

It was truly amazing for me that he got to experience this, because I never thought he would. He was so excited to meet Moncada and Madrigal. So if anyone from the Organization still reads this page, thank you.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:10 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
I can be very "dark cloud" at times on WSI, but I want to give a big thank you and kudos to the Sox.

My son is 8, and very unique. He is high functioning autistic and also ADHD. He has auditory sensitivities and crowds really can freak him out at times. He has 2 favorite players, because he plays 2b. He loves Moncada and Madrigal (we watch a lot of highlights and youtube on him).

The Sox got him accomodations to meet those 2, and then allowed him to line up with the disabilities group whenever he felt overwhelmed (oddly, Friday he did and Saturday he was more ready I guess and did the normal lines with his noise cancelling headset on). They also had a quiet sensory room for those who needed it.

It was truly amazing for me that he got to experience this, because I never thought he would. He was so excited to meet Moncada and Madrigal. So if anyone from the Organization still reads this page, thank you.
Sounds like they did an amazing job. Glad your son could enjoy the event which is really special for kids.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 AM
WSI Prelate

I enjoyed the event overall. I wish there were more exhibitors/sales booths.

The crowding and line issues were problematic. There are lots of larger spaces in McCormick Place. Yes, they'll cost more, but the solution to absolutely every issue we saw this weekend is to rent out a bigger space, and still cap the tickets where they were this year. All problems solved.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-27-2020, 12:52 PM
New At WSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
For anyone that attended- any feedback on McCormick Place vs. Hilton, Hyatt, etc?
Were there multiple "issues" yes.

But, for the initial pass at McCormick, I thought overall it went over very well.

Some tweaks with layout, and potentially a larger space and they're good to go!
Old 01-27-2020, 06:48 PM
WSI Church Elder

The Sox screw up SoxFest one way or another every single year. It's amazing. They just don't care or else many of the same problems wouldn't keep happening.

Right off the bat, some people who arrived early in the morning Friday were soon leapfrogged in line by some others who arrived hours later. That was because the security guy initially told us the lineup/entry procedure would be one way and then a Sox employee changed it. Your place in line can determine whether you get a wristband or not for the player you want. For me, it's important I get into the Garage Sale as early as possible. The few high-end items can be claimed within seconds and certainly within a minute or two.

You'd think the move to McCormick Place would mean more room. Nope. The Sox went the cheap route and crammed everything into a relatively small area given the size of the event. The back third of the place where the seminars, two biggest autograph stages and vending area was always overcrowded.

Additionally, the seminar sound sucked, especially on Friday. The person/people responsible for the sound should be bounced. The sound was high, shrill and distorted. You couldn't understand what was being said while waiting at the close autograph stages and the sound was just grating over time.

There was a secondary, smaller seminar room located in the memorabilia display room that, unfortunately, was located near the main seminar area. You could guess the rest. The sound from the main area bled into the small one. And once a main seminar was over, music was pumped up and made the bleed even worse. The couple times I stopped by the secondary seminar area it was overflowing and many people who wanted to hear it just couldn't get into the small room.

I don't know how the black carpet start looked on TV, but it came across horribly across the front of the entrance Friday. It was at ground level. Only the first few people deep against the velvet ropes could see the players. Most fans waiting could not.

The fans who arrived in the early morning hours Saturday were greeted by combative McCormick Place security people, who seemed absolutely clueless that hundreds of fans would be arriving early to wait in line. Security barred an early lineup and fans lined up at the locked doors of the McCormick walkways connecting the hotel areas to the convention area. When those doors were unlocked, a line on each side met at the SoxFest entry level like there was going to be a gang rumble. The lone security woman was telling everyone they couldn't line up, but she was overtaken. The lines broke down, and once established, there was plenty of cutting after that. I started maybe about 30 in line, but wound up about 80 when it was time to enter.

All of the above can be easily corrected, but the same general problems happen every year. Nobody involved in putting on SoxFest seems to care or be capable of fixing things.

With all that said, fans keep showing up because we're fans of baseball, the team and the players. It was nice being able to hear from some players in depth and have small personal interactions with them while getting some autographs. Anderson in particular made a big impression on me. He really put himself out there as a link between the fans and team, and, perhaps more importantly, he talked in depth about the need and desire to improve his defense. It made me confident that it'll happen. Abreu proved to be a gem again with fans. He treats everyone with respect. The Big Hurt was great as usual, and even signed the coveted "HOF" inscription to his autograph for many people.

Just to give you an idea of how long the waits are for autographs, if you arrived very early and played fair, you could obtain two big-name autographs per day. On Saturday, I obtained a third autograph, Renteria, near the end of the day.

The Sox should be commended for trying to make Friday's kickoff entry special even though the black carpet thing didn't work out well. After that, a handful of players participated in a ribbon-cutting, and a drum line followed. Also, the Sox handed out a free 11 x 17 SoxFest poster upon entry. There were two versions and they looked really cool with players and some cool graphics on them that made them look sort of like a concert poster. That was an extremely nice bonus.

The food options were improved. Some carts from the ballpark were imported. I appreciated that you could make your own Chicago-style hot dog with all the fixings, including celery salt. That was a nice touch.

Fans had three hotel options at McCormick Place. I stayed at the cheapest one, the Hampton. The room was on the smaller side, but super clean and the staff was terrific. So was the hotel's breakfast.

With a hotel room/SoxFest pass combination a thing of the pass, it cost me more than in past years. I split a room with two others and still dropped more than $300 for a hotel, pass and food over the two days. That means SoxFest isn't cheap. The organization should do better so fans aren't treated as random cattle. I feel the players actually treat the fans better and give more of themselves to them than SoxFest organizers.

One last thing: I thought some of the moderators were over-the-top in their enthusiasm for the team. Of course they should be expected to be enthusiastic and this year there are many good reasons to be, but the first one hosted by David Kaplan heard "World Series" mentioned and Stone went completely over the top in Saturday's final seminar. We as fans have a right to think and hope big. It's part of the fun about being a fan, but the people who should know better should not be setting up the team to be a disappointment in the face of their premature hyperbole. It's unfair. This talented, young group should be given the space to grow and improve at a realistic rate.

Last edited by BainesHOF; 01-27-2020 at 10:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
The Sox screw up SoxFest one way or another every single year. It's amazing. They just don't care or else many of the same problems wouldn't keep happening.

Right off the bat, some people who arrived early in the morning Friday were soon leapfrogged in line by some others who arrived hours later. That was because the security guy initially told us the lineup/entry procedure would be one way and then a Sox employee changed it. Your place in line can determine whether you get a wristband or not for the player you want. For me, it's important I get into the Garage Sale as early as possible. The few high-end items can be claimed within seconds and certainly within a minute or two.

You'd think the move to McCormick Place would mean more room. Nope. The Sox went the cheap route and crammed everything into a relatively small area given the size of the event. The back third of the place where the seminars, two biggest autograph stages and vending area was was always overcrowded.

Additionally, the seminar sound sucked, especially on Friday. The person/people responsible for the sound should be bounced. The sound was high, shrill and distorted. You couldn't understand what was being said while waiting at the close autograph stages and the sound was just grating over time.

There was a secondary, smaller seminar room located in the memorabilia display room that, unfortunately, was located near the main seminar area. You could guess the rest. The sound from the main area bled into the small one. And once a main seminar was over, music was pumped up and made the bleed even worse. The couple times I stopped by the secondary seminar area it was overflowing and many people who wanted to hear it just couldn't get into the small room.

I don't know how the black carpet start looked on TV, but it came across horribly across the front of the entrance Friday. It was at ground level. Only the first few people deep against the velvet ropes could see the players. Most fans waiting could not.

The fans who arrived in the early morning hours Saturday were greeted by combative McCormick Place security people, who seemed absolutely clueless that hundreds of fans would be arriving early to wait in line. Security barred an early lineup and fans lined up at the locked doors of the McCormick walkways connecting the hotel areas to the convention area. When those doors were unlocked, a line on each side met at the SoxFest entry level like there was going to be a gang rumble. The lone security woman was telling everyone they couldn't line up, but she was overtaken. The lines broke down, and once established, there was plenty of cutting after that. I started maybe about 30 in line, but wound up about 80 when it was time to enter.

All of the above can be easily corrected, but the same general problems happen every year. Nobody involved in putting on SoxFest seems to care or be capable of fixing things.

With all that said, fans keep showing up because we're fans of baseball, the team and the players. It was nice being able to hear from some players in depth and have small personal interactions with them while getting some autographs. Anderson in particular made a big impression on me. He really put himself out there as a link between the fans and team, and, perhaps more importantly, he talked in depth about the need and desire to improve his defense. It made me confident that it'll happen. Abreu proved to be a gem again with fans. He treats everyone with respect. The Big Hurt was great as usual, and even signed the coveted "HOF" inscription to his autograph for many people.

Just to give you an idea of how long the waits are for autographs, if you arrived very early and played fair, you could obtain two big-name autographs per day. On Saturday, I obtained a third autograph, Renteria, near the end of the day.

The Sox should be commended for trying to make Friday's kickoff entry special even though the black carpet thing didn't work out well. After that, a handful of players participated in a ribbon-cutting, and a drum line followed. Also, the Sox handed out a free 11 x 17 SoxFest poster upon entry. There were two versions and looked really cool with players and some cool graphics on them that made them look sort of like a concert poster. That was an extremely nice bonus.

The food options were improved. Some carts from the ballpark were imported. I appreciated that you could make your own Chicago-style hot dog with all the fixings, including celery salt. That was a nice touch.

Fans has three hotel options at McCormick Place. I stayed at the cheapest one, the Hampton. The room was on the smaller side, but super clean and the staff was terrific. So was the hotel's breakfast.

With a hotel room/SoxFest pass combination a thing of the pass, it cost me more than in past years. I split a room with two others and still dropped more than $300 for a hotel, pass and food over the two days. That means SoxFest isn't cheap. The organization should do better so fans aren't treated as random cattle. I feel the players actually treat the fans better and give more of themselves to them than SoxFest organizers.

One last thing: I thought some of the moderators were over-the-top in their enthusiasm for the team. Of course they should be expected to be enthusiastic and this year there are many good reasons to be, but the first one hosted by David Kaplan heard "World Series" mentioned and Stone went completely over the top in Saturday's final seminar. We as fans have a right to think and hope big. It's part of the fun about being a fan, but the people who should know better should not be setting up the team to be a disappointment in the face of their premature hyperbole. It's unfair. This talented, young group should be given the space to grow and improve at a realistic rate.
That all kind of blows. Was really hoping the new venue would work, but it sounds like a simple case of poor planning. It would be one thing if it was just the poor/underspaced floorplan, but the logistics sound like a nightmare for someone like me who would be visiting from out of town. There's no excuse for poor presentation on something like audio. It would be great to hear them respond to your critique.

Email Brooks.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:09 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
There's no excuse for poor presentation on something like audio. It would be great to hear them respond to your critique.

Email Brooks.
I've emailed the applicable people in the organization in the past about SoxFest, detailing the debacles and offering specific solutions. It was basically ignored. They don't get it. They receive a lot of complaints and instead of being able to recognize the legitimate ones and then making changes to improve things, they refuse to look in the mirror. They write off fans as a bunch of complainers.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
That all kind of blows. Was really hoping the new venue would work, but it sounds like a simple case of poor planning. It would be one thing if it was just the poor/underspaced floorplan, but the logistics sound like a nightmare for someone like me who would be visiting from out of town. There's no excuse for poor presentation on something like audio. It would be great to hear them respond to your critique.

Email Brooks.
First year in a new venue there are bound to be kinks. If the space is a better fit or there's at least more room to expand if necessary then they will hopefully fix things next year.

I do agree to let them know the issues even if it's been done in the past because this is a new space.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:56 AM
WSI High Priest

Was Renteria asked if his managerial philosophy will change based on the perceived lineup in 2020 as opposed to his lineups in 2019?
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-28-2020, 06:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Consider that they may have intentionally used a space smaller than ideal to create the impression of popularity. (Old marketing trick)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

Quote:
I've emailed the applicable people in the organization in the past about SoxFest, detailing the debacles and offering specific solutions. It was basically ignored. They don't get it. They receive a lot of complaints and instead of being able to recognize the legitimate ones and then making changes to improve things, they refuse to look in the mirror. They write off fans as a bunch of complainers.
Snail mail is 1000% more effective than email. Only sets you back fifty cents.

The front office people get hundreds of emails every day, you think they have time to open each one while avoiding emails that might be Malware-carrying spam?

Type out a letter and mail it. Much, much higher probability of a response. Also, send a copy to Christine from White Sox Charities since they are the sponsor/beneficiary.

Old 01-28-2020, 10:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Also, send a copy to Christine from White Sox Charities since they are the sponsor/beneficiary.
Christine is one of the people I addressed my last email to, and virtually nothing changed. They don't care.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Christine is one of the people I addressed my last email to, and virtually nothing changed. They don't care.
Maybe or maybe the move to the new location was in part to address the issues you raised.

Again, this was the first year at the new location. There were bound to be issues. If you assume those issues won't be fixed no matter what you do then you might end up in a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have nothing to lose by trying. You can create a letter for the most part by copying and pasting your comment above into a word document, editing it slightly adding a date and a To Whom it Might Concern at the top and sticking it in the mail.

Or you can sit here on WSI ranting about how the Sox don't care about their fans.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:54 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Maybe or maybe the move to the new location was in part to address the issues you raised.

Again, this was the first year at the new location. There were bound to be issues. If you assume those issues won't be fixed no matter what you do then you might end up in a self-fulfilling prophecy. You have nothing to lose by trying. You can create a letter for the most part by copying and pasting your comment above into a word document, editing it slightly adding a date and a To Whom it Might Concern at the top and sticking it in the mail.

Or you can sit here on WSI ranting about how the Sox don't care about their fans.
Amen to all this.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:05 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Snail mail is 1000% more effective than email. Only sets you back fifty cents.

The front office people get hundreds of emails every day, you think they have time to open each one while avoiding emails that might be Malware-carrying spam?

Type out a letter and mail it. Much, much higher probability of a response. Also, send a copy to Christine from White Sox Charities since they are the sponsor/beneficiary.
Know what's even better than snail mail or email? Posting on Twitter, Facebook or any other social media. That is way more effective in getting a response these days.