Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2020, 10:34 PM
WSI Guru

Location: Body is in Chicago. Mind is in Salt Lake City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxandtheCityTee View Post
Wow. The title of the seminar session "The 2000 Team: 20 Years Later." I can do arithmetic but I guess I hadn't done this one yet.
I’m planning my 20-year high school reunion. I graduated from high school and went off to college that year. My first weekend back home visiting that year in college was the homecoming football game. I went and sat in the press box like I always had in high school as the football columnist. I was chosen to do the 50/50 drawing and pulled out my mom’s ticket! She took me to the White Sox game that night!

Bucket List Tracker
States Visited: All 50
Attended an NHL game in 19/31 NHL cities
Attended Mass at 11/32 Archdiocese Cathedrals (Next: Mobile, AL 2/16)

I really love Salt Lake City
Old 01-23-2020, 09:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
The schedule and layout are now available:

https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/fans/soxfest
Who’s everyone lining up for?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:55 AM
WSI Church Elder

I don't do autographs so I will be at the panels or wandering around, I guess. It's my first Fest since ancient times so I will be getting my bearings. The Score has had a ton of Sox guests on-air the past few days and I've been listening -- not something I often do anymore -- to help me decide who and what I want to see.

Just two notes on what I've heard on the radio. Michael Kopech was on with McNeil and Parkins yesterday and it's worth a listen on demand. He was very open about the struggles he's faced with depression and anxiety. He's only 23 but seems to have really turned a corner on all aspects of his health. (He also got married in the off-season.) Naturally some listeners responded on social media with ridicule or scorn. For myself, he's a very brave young man and I wish him great success.

Also, some Cubs fan listeners melted down at the sheer length and depth of Sox talk -- the poor babies. Last night Les Grobstein quoted my favorite text he got: it just said STOP TALKING ABOUT THE SOX. Pithy and pitiful. Les explained that Sox Fest is this weekend, thus the coverage. He then proceeded to reminisce at great length, as only he can do, over various shining moments in Sox history that he was present for, players he loved, etc. So that's how that goes.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:56 AM
WSI High Priest

You knew this was coming...

"White Sox left-hander Dallas Keuchel, who pitched for the Astros from 2012-18 and was an integral part of the team’s 2017 World Series championship, apologized Friday for Houston's behavior in the sign-stealing controversy."

https://www.mlb.com/news/dallas-keuc...-sign-stealing

Good, time to move on...
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 01-25-2020, 02:53 PM
WSI Prelate

100% agreed, time to move on. Need Dallas’’ focus 100% on what he’s going to do on the mound for this coming season.

To all those at SoxFest - have a great time and hope you get to have some great interactions with Sox players and staff!
Old 01-25-2020, 03:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Fun times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D74E9C9-9A41-47C2-98CD-9CACE1471220.jpeg (28.2 KB, 53 views)

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 01-25-2020, 04:53 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Fun times.
Very nice.

2020 Sox Attendance Tracker: 0-0
All time Sox Attendance Tracker:

286-247
Old 01-25-2020, 06:11 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfanreggie View Post
100% agreed, time to move on. Need Dallas’’ focus 100% on what he’s going to do on the mound for this coming season.
To be fair, he didn't bring it up; he was asked, and multiple times. For one of them I was in the room, yesterday evening. Keuchel's more than ready to move on. If the media isn't, I guess he'll have to start telling them he's done with the topic. Not sure the Sox would've wanted him to say that at Sox Fest.

Danny Farquhar, who is now the pitching coach for the Dash, told the story today of that video where he's on the mound in Houston and heard the trash cans banging. After the batter laid off (what Danny thought were) a couple of very good change-ups, Danny stepped off and Smith came out to talk to him. They didn't know what was up -- Danny said he thought maybe he was tipping -- but in any event they changed the signs and he got the batter out.
Old 01-25-2020, 10:40 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittle42 View Post
Fun times.
MINE!!!

Er... I mean...

Sew jelluz... sniff...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 01-26-2020, 11:16 AM
WSI High Priest

For anyone that attended- any feedback on McCormick Place vs. Hilton, Hyatt, etc?
Old 01-26-2020, 01:31 PM
WSI Regular

The entry into soxfest was pretty good and they really did try to organize the lines for photos and autographs. It didn't work well however and i imagine they will try and fix their issues next year.

They set up 2 separate lines next to each stage. One for the next player signing and a second line for the player following. This idea was good but the problem came when the lines held just 100 people. So they give out 200 or 250 wristbands the remaining people had to line up outside of the lines. This was a disaster.

Stage 6 was all the way at the back by the seminar stage a bar and next to the shops. So Saturday in an already cramped corner. They scheduled Tim Anderson followed by Jose Abreu followed by Kopek followed by Thomas. So one hour into Saturday you basically had 1000 people waiting either for wristbands or with wristbands in a corner that had room for 200 people and you also had everyone watching seminars in the exact same area. If you wanted to look at any shop in that area you basically couldn't without forcing your way thru. On Friday night in the line for Keuchel they were trying to get some medical aid for a person in line and it took at least 5 minutes for the medic to reach the person.

Next year they probibly have to remove 2 stages and should schedule less popular players or photo stages on stage 5 and 6
Old 01-26-2020, 03:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
For anyone that attended- any feedback on McCormick Place vs. Hilton, Hyatt, etc?
CROWDED. I was shocked at the mobs of people and lines that seemed to snake around forever. It was difficult to move anywhere on Saturday. That being said, I think it could be a great even t if they double the size of the space. The wife brought up a great point, saying that in years past the players seemed to feel comfortable just walking around in the kids areas because they wouldn't get harassed by autograph seekers. This year everything was in the same room, so we never saw players just walking around.

Bottom line, bigger space next year or I'll have to sit Soxfest 2021 out.

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko
Old 01-26-2020, 03:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

I have to echo the overall point of the last couple posters---not enough space.

they had some solid ideas with how to lay it out---but did not execute with enough space. I hope rather than eliminating any of the current elements (i.e the number of auto graph stages) they instead use a different (larger) part of Mc Cormick for the event.

curious to see what happens next year
A swing, and a high fly ball, deep right center field. This is way back in the gap. And it's a goner! A White Sox winner! A winner on a Podsednik home run, and the White Sox go up two games to nothing in the 2005 World Series.

John Rooney October 23 rd 2005....happy 25th B-Day Nelfox02!!!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:49 AM
WSI Church Elder

More space is desperately needed. The crowding was actually dangerous in there. I realize that more exhibition space costs more money, but the vendors must feel they could have sold more if people hadn't simply given up on trying to reach them through the autograph lines that snaked all over. The club can claim surprise this year but not in future.

Jason Benetti and Chuck Garfein were both excellent panel moderators.

Dave Kaplan should have no place at a Sox fan festival. Many local sports broadcasters are Cubs fans; I have no problem with that. None of them has publicly disrespected and ridiculed the Sox and their fanbase to the extent and as frequently as Kaplan has, or displayed such plain ignorance. Criticizing the club is not the issue -- Lord knows they've earned it -- but he didn't give credit where credit was due, preferring to ignore the Sox and their fans when not making unfunny low-attendance jokes. If the club he's slathered ecstatic praise on slavishly for years does not see fit to find a place for him in its new media dispensation or elsewhere in RickettsLand, why in the world should the Sox hand him a microphone on the Main Stage at Sox Fest? There's a good reason why he got booed by the audience there. I didn't see that happen to anyone else. Take a hint, Sox, and give someone else the chance next year.
Old 01-27-2020, 10:21 AM
WSI High Priest

Watching the coverage on TV- Kaplan was just awful and out of place- wasted a ton of time spewing his personal opinions on the Astros scandal when the focus should have been on the White Sox.

I do think the White Sox are missing an opportunity to leverage TV coverage of SoxFest to market the team- especially once the event has sold out- with a little effort they could package alot of what was happening to get fans not at the event excited, etc.- seems like an after thought, and kind of amateur hour they way they did it this year.