White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:46 PM
ricker182 ricker182 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Everybody did. He was the consensus #1 starting pitching prospect coming out that season. He was the #1 starter at Vandy and was coming a memorable College World Series where he almost single handedly kept them in the final series.

Some of you might be frustrated with him, but let's not do the revisionist history thing....
I guess no one outside of the fans saw his forced delivery?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:47 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Of course Fulmer's teammate on the mound was drafted 16 positions later and is tearing it up.
But this org. doesn't hold anybody in the FO accountable, so that's that.
Walker Buehler was a soft tossing, second fiddle to Fulmer at Vandy. Did you expect the White Sox (or any team) to know that he would tear up his elbow right after being drafted and come back throwing 4 mph faster after Tommy John? There's a reason he was drafted at the tail end of the first round and was viewed as a low floor guy at best.

You can hold the FO accountable, but that's just ridiculous....
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:48 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Everybody did. He was the consensus #1 starting pitching prospect coming out that season. He was the #1 starter at Vandy and was coming a memorable College World Series where he almost single handedly kept them in the final series.

Some of you might be frustrated with him, but let's not do the revisionist history thing....

His stock dropped going into that draft. Command being a major concern.


BTW, Ian Happ was drafted ninth; right after Fulmer.
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:49 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
I do not trust this organization can pull off this rebuild.

I do think Hahn is a decent GM, but the organization as a whole is a joke. Starting with the scouts.

Our draft picks the last 20 years or so have Benny absolutely embarrassing (outside of obviously).
Nope that's completely wrong. All of those draft picks before 2013 are on one person and one person only. Jerry Reinsdorf. You can't expect an owner to refuse to pay players in the draft and then expect a GM to pick the best players.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:52 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
His stock dropped going into that draft. Command being a major concern.


BTW, Ian Happ was drafted ninth; right after Fulmer.
His stock did not drop before that draft. He had a strong College World Series run and the only thing you heard about was what a "bulldog" he was.

What does Ian Happ have to do with this?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:53 PM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,512
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
I guess no one outside of the fans saw his forced delivery?
What does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that there's only one way to pitch? The results were there for all to see.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:56 PM
ricker182 ricker182 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Nope that's completely wrong. All of those draft picks before 2013 are on one person and one person only. Jerry Reinsdorf. You can't expect an owner to refuse to pay players in the draft and then expect a GM to pick the best players.
Last I checked, Reinsdorf controls the organization still.

Like I said, this organization stinks from top to bottom.

So many terrible decisions compounded by more terrible decisions.

The latest being shoving Chance The Rapper aside right before he really blew up.

At the end of the day it's the fans that suffer though.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-11-2018, 09:57 PM
ricker182 ricker182 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
What does that have to do with anything? Are you saying that there's only one way to pitch? The results were there for all to see.
He's definitely not a natural pitcher.
Small guy.

It was a gamble taking a guy like him that high.

I don't think he's a bad pitcher at all.
But it was a reach where we drafted him.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
His stock did not drop before that draft. He had a strong College World Series run and the only thing you heard about was what a "bulldog" he was.

What does Ian Happ have to do with this?

Because Fulmer was thought by some to be a better candidate to be a reliever than a starter. I don't draft a reliever with the eighth pick. But I am sure this organization thought they could fix his delivery and make him a starter. I don't think you give up on him right now, but if there is a fix to Fulmer Cooper better find it and fast.

Ian Happ was playing very well in the Cape Cod league as a middle infielder.

Of course this is hindsight and full disclosure is that I was not aware of who Ian Happ was at that time. But I am now.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:04 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
I do not trust this organization can pull off this rebuild.

I do think Hahn is a decent GM, but the organization as a whole is a joke. Starting with the scouts.

Our draft picks the last 20 years or so have Benny absolutely embarrassing (outside of obviously).

The Astros organization doesn't know what bthey are doing, go take a look at their picks and see how many are household names.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:07 PM
ricker182 ricker182 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,104
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut67 View Post
The Astros organization doesn't know what bthey are doing, go take a look at their picks and see how many are household names.
Can't really talk bad about an organzation that just won a world championship.

We're about to lose 110 games.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:23 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 55,338
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
Can't really talk bad about an organzation that just won a world championship.

We're about to lose 110 games.
By design in an effort to emulate what those same world champions did just a few years ago.

If 5his team were on pace to only like se 92 would everyone feel that much better?
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:25 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricker182 View Post
Can't really talk bad about an organzation that just won a world championship.

We're about to lose 110 games.
Yes and the Astros lost over 100 games multiple times bin the past 10 years and not that many of their #1s turned out. Was kinda supposed to be in teal, but my phone is annoying and I couldn't get their draft pick page to post. What's happening to us happened to them, but look at the fruit...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:27 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
By design in an effort to emulate what those same world champions did just a few years ago.

If 5his team were on pace to only like se 92 would everyone feel that much better?

voodoo,


It's not the number of loses that matter. This team is not even competitive at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-11-2018, 10:30 PM
soxnut67 soxnut67 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
By design in an effort to emulate what those same world champions did just a few years ago.

If 5his team were on pace to only like se 92 would everyone feel that much better?
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.