GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2018, 07:16 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
I agree...but not this historically bad, not this embarrassing.
Maybe that's on us, not them. Maybe a solid ST fired us up more than it should have. There were plenty of reasons to think this team could be quite bad.

Injuries haven't helped and instead of progression we've seen some guys regress, but nothing that's happening is outside the worst case scenario situation, IMO. It's a fans nature to be hopeful, especially in ST when a team is showing signs of being better than expected, but this team was never built to win and all we're seeing is an outcome where the sum total is hovering around the bottom of where the team hoped to play.

Of course at present they are missing their preseason projected leadoff and #2 hitter due to injury also and that's gonna hurt any team. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome that, not even close.

Nicky freaking Delmonico hit leadoff today... um... that's not... not good...

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...

Last edited by voodoochile; 05-11-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:17 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Today’s lineup had only two established major leaguers in it, only one of whom would be considered an elite hitter.
Not talking about today. The lineup, when healthy, is no worse than it was to end last season. The Sox did not play at a .250 clip to finish 2017.

Same for the starting rotation, it's the same guys basically that finished 2017.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:29 PM
WSI Prelate

I didn't have high hopes going in to this series, but ouch. I hope there's some outstanding talent out there for next year's draft because we're on our way to the #1 pick the way things are going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Fulmer isn't a major league starting pitcher. Maybe a reliever. We suck, but he really sucks.
It doesn't bug me as much when stiffs on our team who will be gone in a couple of years anyway stink up the joint, but it's really frustrating to see players like Fulmer look terrible. Not that every top 10 pick is guaranteed to turn out, but we did pick him at #8 overall. I hope he figures things out has a useful role for this team eventually.

I realize the rebuild hardly rests on his shoulders, but it's still really disappointing to see one of our top prospects look awful like this.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
Who knew we would be missing Moncada this much?

Nothing the team does this season bothers me. This was expected to be a lost season.
Exactly. If someone gets fired up watching this team, turn it off.

I turned the game off after it became 1-0. It just aggravated me to watch more.

The only reason I have the game on is that it is just background noise. The team is brutal and not worth my frustration or time. It is what it is.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Not talking about today. The lineup, when healthy, is no worse than it was to end last season. The Sox did not play at a .250 clip to finish 2017.

Same for the starting rotation, it's the same guys basically that finished 2017.
And there's been regression by all three of the young pitchers and SHields from where he finished last season plus Gonzalez is hurt and they have no one else to pick up the slack at all.

Oh and the lineup is NOT healthy.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:45 PM
WSI Church Elder

Fulmer is not a Major League pitcher. Who scouted him and thought he was a first-round draft choice? He doesn't really chance speeds. He just chucks the ball up there with absolutely no command of the strike zone. And his body language is completely awful. There is no need to give him any more starts at the level. This organization is very stubborn, however. It doesn't like to admit its mistakes, like thinking that Tim Anderson is a shortstop. How long is that circus act going to play?

Ridiculous baserunning today. I still like Renteria, but there needs to be more consequences for mental mistakes.

I've had it with Cooper, too. At one point today it looked like he was having a disagreement with Renteria. The guy is too big for his britches. More importantly, he's not really doing a good job.

Benetti's tee-heeing got on my nerves today. I don't need to hear him sulk like Hawk, but I sure the heck didn't like what he was offering. His announcing was oblivious to what what taking place.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Maybe that's on us, not them. Maybe a solid ST fired us up more than it should have. There were plenty of reasons to think this team could be quite bad.

Injuries haven't helped and instead of progression we've seen some guys regress, but nothing that's happening is outside the worst case scenario situation, IMO. It's a fans nature to be hopeful, especially in ST when a team is showing signs of being better than expected, but this team was never built to win and all we're seeing is an outcome where the sum total is hovering around the bottom of where the team hoped to play.

Of course at present they are missing their preseason projected leadoff and #2 hitter due to injury also and that's gonna hurt any team. This team doesn't have the depth to overcome that, not even close.

Nicky freaking Delmonico hit leadoff today... um... that's not... not good...
Well it's not just this past spring but the last six weeks of last season AFTER all the guys were unloaded in trades. I though they could win 65-70 games myself this year, show continued slow progress towards 2020-2021. It'll take a miracle to avoid losing 100.

And you know what's worse than Delmonico leading off? Delmonico trying to play the outfield.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 PM
WSI Church Elder

How about that Palka!
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 05-11-2018, 08:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
The only reason I have the game on is that it is just background noise. The team is brutal and not worth my frustration or time. It is what it is.

I am still in listening despite the continued injuries, poor fundamentals, regression of the young pitchers. It's spring; it's baseball time.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Fulmer is not a Major League pitcher. Who scouted him and thought he was a first-round draft choice? He doesn't really chance speeds. He just chucks the ball up there with absolutely no command of the strike zone. And his body language is completely awful. There is no need to give him any more starts at the level. This organization is very stubborn, however. It doesn't like to admit its mistakes, like thinking that Tim Anderson is a shortstop. How long is that circus act going to play?

Ridiculous baserunning today. I still like Renteria, but there needs to be more consequences for mental mistakes.

I've had it with Cooper, too. At one point today it looked like he was having a disagreement with Renteria. The guy is too big for his britches. More importantly, he's not really doing a good job.

Benetti's tee-heeing got on my nerves today. I don't need to hear him sulk like Hawk, but I sure the heck didn't like what he was offering. His announcing was oblivious to what what taking place.

Did Anderson have a bad day in the field?

I do agree with you on every other point.

Last edited by Grzegorz; 05-11-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Well it's not just this past spring but the last six weeks of last season AFTER all the guys were unloaded in trades. I though they could win 65-70 games myself this year, show continued slow progress towards 2020-2021. It'll take a miracle to avoid losing 100.

And you know what's worse than Delmonico leading off? Delmonico trying to play the outfield.
Call it a tossup on that one...
Old 05-11-2018, 09:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
Today’s lineup had only two established major leaguers in it, only one of whom would be considered an elite hitter.
The pitching staff has established major leaguers and they are absolutely dreadful. Each one.
This pitching staff is ridiculous.
As for Fulmer, they knew he had a messed up delivery - probably a little Sale arrogance in there (they had done it earlier with Danish, another one that worked out well). Of course Fulmer's teammate on the mound was drafted 16 positions later and is tearing it up.
But this org. doesn't hold anybody in the FO accountable, so that's that.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
How about that Palka!
This post made me chuckle. Honestly, I like a bright spot for the day! Oh, except his fielding.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 05-11-2018, 09:43 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainesHOF View Post
Fulmer is not a Major League pitcher. Who scouted him and thought he was a first-round draft choice?
Everybody did. He was the consensus #1 starting pitching prospect coming out that season. He was the #1 starter at Vandy and was coming a memorable College World Series where he almost single handedly kept them in the final series.

Some of you might be frustrated with him, but let's not do the revisionist history thing....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 05-11-2018, 09:45 PM
WSI Personality

I do not trust this organization can pull off this rebuild.

I do think Hahn is a decent GM, but the organization as a whole is a joke. Starting with the scouts.

Our draft picks the last 20 years or so have Benny absolutely embarrassing (outside of obviously).