GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2019, 10:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Exactly - I'm looking at it in context. Also, I'm basing this on a value perspective (received v. given up), not necessarily on an impact perspective.
The Sox had a 2 WAR catcher last year and going forward as well as a top prospect at that position, plus Mercedes (I know I'm alone in liking him); they had Narvaez until trading him. Point being they've actually been pretty good at catching, albeit under the radar.
In contrast, at 2B they have maybe a replacement player until a top prospect is ready. Nothing in RF. And the pitching staff is thin as a board - they need 2 starters and 2 high end relievers.
To me it wasn't the priority it was to others.
I'm not dissing the signing; it was a good move. Just not a top move.
I guess I just see the move differently. It gives the Sox solid options, 162 games/year, at three positions: C, 1B, and DH. It gives them one of the top three (I don’t think that’s hyperbole) defensive catchers on the planet. It should be a positive data point for pitchers looking to sign with us (clearly not realized at this point). And it was the largest contract in franchise history at a time when the Sox need to show fans and free agents that they’re willing to spend.

This signings is significantly better than claiming Q off waivers as viewed at the time of the transaction, and it is leagues ahead of any transaction involving Peavy and Avi no matter when you evaluate it. That’s all I’m saying.

Edit: I forgot to mention the walks. SO many walks.

Last edited by BRDSR; 12-07-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:14 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I guess I just see the move differently. It gives the Sox solid options, 162 games/year, at three positions: C, 1B, and DH. It gives them one of the top three (I donít think thatís hyperbole) defensive catchers on the planet. It should be a positive data point for pitchers looking to sign with us (clearly not realized at this point). And it was the largest contract in franchise history at a time when the Sox need to show fans and free agents that theyíre willing to spend.
It also allows them to continue to give Collins AB on a regular basis at DH without risking losing the DH slot if the starting catcher needs to lose the game. That is important from a development perspective.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
I guess I just see the move differently. It gives the Sox solid options, 162 games/year, at three positions: C, 1B, and DH. It gives them one of the top three (I don’t think that’s hyperbole) defensive catchers on the planet. It should be a positive data point for pitchers looking to sign with us (clearly not realized at this point). And it was the largest contract in franchise history at a time when the Sox need to show fans and free agents that they’re willing to spend.

This signings is significantly better than claiming Q off waivers as viewed at the time of the transaction, and it is leagues ahead of any transaction involving Peavy and Avi no matter when you evaluate it. That’s all I’m saying.

Edit: I forgot to mention the walks. SO many walks.
Well, yea, claiming Q at the time was nothing; but in terms of value, it ended up as gigantic. A lot of teams feat off of that kind of stuff (Dodgers, e.g.)
I see yalls point on the C, 1B, DH dynamic. It also gives us C depth and a piece to move (McCann) if some opportunity for pitching pops. I honestly would feel better about it going forward without the Abreu extension.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:05 AM
WSI Guru

1. Drafting Chris Sale.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:56 AM
WSI High Priest

I think it should be clarified that when evaluating a move as it looked at the time of the transaction, you can reasonably infer what the Sox FO expectations were for that move. For example, it is clear that the Sox traded Santiago for Eaton with the expectation that Eaton be a starting OF. In essence, they traded a middle reliever for a starting OF.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 12-09-2019, 07:17 PM
WSI High Priest

Quintana was my favorite Sox there for a while, but the Q trade was hands down the top move the Sox made. Hahn exploited the Cubs' need to fill out their rotation to continue to remain competitive to trade an albeit good pitcher for a HOF caliber talent and a pitcher with the potential to be as good as or better than Q, both having established relatively high floors as prospects. The top two Cubs prospects, both already having success at the higher levels, and comparable in terms of overall talent to the Sale trade, for a less coveted pitcher.

Come to think of it, the extensions Hahn made with Q, Sale and Eaton have to be up there in the top 5 as well. Those extensions were what made them so valuable in trade to begin with.

I'll fill out my top 5 list with Eaton for Santiago trade. Robbed 'em, there.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:18 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
1. Drafting Chris Sale.

Tied for first with his extension.