GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2019, 11:29 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Yolmer Sanchez Appreciation Thread? Wow, did it go off-track.
I appreciated the job Yolmer did for the Sox. I wish him well when not playing the Sox.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." ó George Orwell
Old 11-28-2019, 09:16 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
Among all MLB 2nd basemen who played >81 games in 2019- Yolmer Sanchez ranked 36th in OPS.

36th.
Alright, I havenít read this whole thread, so if this is answered, I apologize.

But there are 32 MLB teams, meaning no team can start two players at 2B >81 games per season. Without getting into all the theoretical iterations, I find it unlikely that there was one team, let alone a handful, which had two different players appear in 81+ games at 2B. Admittedly with zero research, I call BS on this stat.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:59 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRDSR View Post
Alright, I havenít read this whole thread, so if this is answered, I apologize.

But there are 32 MLB teams, meaning no team can start two players at 2B >81 games per season. Without getting into all the theoretical iterations, I find it unlikely that there was one team, let alone a handful, which had two different players appear in 81+ games at 2B. Admittedly with zero research, I call BS on this stat.
1) There are 30 MLB teams.

2) That stat might be referring to players who played at least some of a game at 2B, not necessarily the entire game.
Old 11-28-2019, 10:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Picking a team at random, the Orioles had 219 games played at second base during their 162-game schedule. Five Orioles appeared at second base. Two appeared in more than 81 games at second base, although only one started more than 81 games at second.

The White Sox only had 172 games played at second among four players with only Sanchez appearing in more than 81, but I'm guessing there were six MLB teams that had two players appearing in more than 81 games at second.

You only have to play an inning, really only a fraction of an inning defensively to get credit for a game played at second.

But you are right in that the stat would have more significance if it stated that Sanchez was 30th out of 30 second baseman who started 81 games or more at second, although the stat itself isn't that important.