Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2019, 12:03 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

Default Bobby Jenks' Rough Road

I knew Bobby had a tough time after leaving the Sox but didn't realize the hell and back he has gone through. I wish nothing but the best for Bobby.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en...ll-scar-tissue

Last edited by hoosiersoxfan; 12-07-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:43 AM
WSI Prelate

That was a rough read but I recommend everyone read it.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:19 AM
WSI High Priest

Wow. Just wow.
Old 12-07-2019, 10:30 AM
WSI Prelate

Amazing.
We may not have even made the playoffs that year without him. Thrilled he's doing well.
This is a player for JR to put under his wing.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:23 PM
WSI Church Elder

Man he’s been through a lot. It sounds like he’s doing much better, and I wish him well. I’ve always had a soft spot in my heart for Bobby Jenks and knew he was battling some demons even way back when we got him from The Angels.

Coincidentally I just got this book from Amazon today. A very similar story.

https://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Line...s%2C167&sr=1-1
Old 12-08-2019, 12:05 AM
Tom Feargal Hagen

***???????

Concurrent surgeries? Seriously???? In what universe does this even sound like a reasonable idea? A reasonable idea is less smart than a good idea, by the way.

He needs to loud and proud about this. Get the word out. When someone is signing a consent for surgery, he or she should write in bold red letters "Nobody on the surgical team is to be involved in any procedures in any capacity on any other patients until I am in recovery and no further surgical procedures are imminently needed.

The insurance companies should take the lead on this issue-deny payment if there was a concurrent surgery. Look at how much extra money Jenks' health insurance carrier had to pay out to correct the easily avoidable mistake.

Finally, if I was in the marketing department of a hospital, I would mention in my ads "We don't allow concurrent surgeries." That will give them a leg up on the competition that won't make that pledge.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Amazing.
We may not have even made the playoffs that year without him. Thrilled he's doing well.
This is a player for JR to put under his wing.
Yeah...pretty cool story. I wouldn’t mind bringing Bobby Jenks back to the organization in the right role.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
***???????

Concurrent surgeries? Seriously???? In what universe does this even sound like a reasonable idea? A reasonable idea is less smart than a good idea, by the way.

He needs to loud and proud about this. Get the word out. When someone is signing a consent for surgery, he or she should write in bold red letters "Nobody on the surgical team is to be involved in any procedures in any capacity on any other patients until I am in recovery and no further surgical procedures are imminently needed.

The insurance companies should take the lead on this issue-deny payment if there was a concurrent surgery. Look at how much extra money Jenks' health insurance carrier had to pay out to correct the easily avoidable mistake.

Finally, if I was in the marketing department of a hospital, I would mention in my ads "We don't allow concurrent surgeries." That will give them a leg up on the competition that won't make that pledge.
This is some **** that needs to be stopped quick, fast, in a hurry. How could anyone, anywhere think that this is a good idea? Who's behind it? Hospitals? Doctors? Hell, if i was a doctor, I'd be worried about mistakes and malpractice. I just can't find a single solitary thing that is an argument in favor of this.

And as someone who just had a surgery, one that didn't go as smoothly as the first time I had it done, it's quite alarming, to put it mildly.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:42 AM
WSI Church Elder

No one should go through what he did.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

I've got my own horror stories, but i had never heard of concurrent surgeries until reading that article . unbelievable what hospitals try to get away with . so happy that Bobby settled that suit, is getting on with his life in a positive way, and is getting the word out.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

Concurrent surgeries happen all the time and they are not the criminal act all of us medical experts at WSI are making them seem. Most likely the Jenks disaster was caused by surgeon's errors and not the concept of concurrent surgeries which enable expert surgeons to do the critical work on Patient A while assistants are doing the grunt work on Patient B, etc.

Read and learn: https://www.statnews.com/2019/02/26/...most-patients/
Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
***???????

Absolutely. I hope he becomes an outspoken advocate to put an end to this. Testify at hearings. Stage meetings. It certainly sounds like he's found a new purpose in his life. He's lucky this only ended his baseball career. How many lives have been lost because of this practice? I shudder to think about it.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Concurrent surgeries happen all the time and they are not the criminal act all of us medical experts at WSI are making them seem. Most likely the Jenks disaster was caused by surgeon's errors and not the concept of concurrent surgeries which enable expert surgeons to do the critical work on Patient A while assistants are doing the grunt work on Patient B, etc.

Thank you. From a surgeon myself, everyone can put the torches and pitchforks down.

CUBS SUCK

White Sox Fans, knowing more about baseball and the cubs than their own fans since 1901.
Old 12-09-2019, 02:47 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post

Well at the very least, hospitals need to get their marketing departments to re-brand this. Because "concurrent" sounds like surgeons doing two or more surgeries at the same time, back and forth, etc.

No one wants to think that someone who is doing surgery on them has their attention divided by another procedure going on with another patient. The completely reasonable expectation is that you have 100% of the doctor's attention while your procedure is being performed, and that there's no hurry-up going on because the next patient is prepped and ready.

It's not supposed to be a volume business.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:27 PM
WSI Church Elder

I just want to give the guy a hug, thank him for 2005 and this article, and apologize he had to go through this.
No one's ever gonna take my life from me
I lay it down
A ghost is born

WHITE SOX 2005 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS
2012 WSI Tourney Pick'em Champion

https://www.facebook.com/ModernHistoryMusic
(my band)