Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2019, 12:23 PM
WSI Prelate

Default Is this increase in spending a direct result of the new TV contract?

I thought I remember hearing that the WGN games paid far less per broadcast than the $750K that the RSN was paying. I believe it was only about $200K per game. If that is true, a $550K difference over 55 WGN games amounts to $30.25 million, which pretty much covers the Grandal $18.25, all 6 Arb raises, and still leaves a modest bump in profits.

If that $128 million record payroll came with about $70 or $80 million less in revenue than 2020 will bring, is it safe to assume that $150+ million will be a level that this team rolls out every year? Iím sure that increased operating costs will eat up a healthy chunk, and maintaining a reasonable profit margin will eat up some more, but can half of that new revenue make its way into the major league payroll without disturbing business operations?
Old 11-24-2019, 01:13 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I thought I remember hearing that the WGN games paid far less per broadcast than the $750K that the RSN was paying. I believe it was only about $200K per game. If that is true, a $550K difference over 55 WGN games amounts to $30.25 million, which pretty much covers the Grandal $18.25, all 6 Arb raises, and still leaves a modest bump in profits.

If that $128 million record payroll came with about $70 or $80 million less in revenue than 2020 will bring, is it safe to assume that $150+ million will be a level that this team rolls out every year? Iím sure that increased operating costs will eat up a healthy chunk, and maintaining a reasonable profit margin will eat up some more, but can half of that new revenue make its way into the major league payroll without disturbing business operations?
I expect the Sox to exceed $130M in payroll this year and $150M+ won't shock me at all. JR has regularly been top half payroll when it makes sense to do so. I assume they have money saved from the past few years anyway and would be willing to spend it so we might even see higher the next two years as they use some of that for signing bonuses.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 11-24-2019, 01:35 PM
WSI High Priest

$128 million payroll came in, what, 2012? With inflation, the figure in 2018 would be $143 million.

I think the Sox have always been a team capable of spending 128 million 2012 dollars, they just have purposefully kept spending low because they are in a rebuild.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 11-24-2019, 02:28 PM
WSI Personality

Agree with the previous posts, I'll add that another motivating factor is that JR knows this core is likely his last chance to see another championship in his lifetime, and there's a clear path to contention if he brings payroll back up to respectable levels. That's why the Sox going hard after Cole and/or Strasburg wouldn't completely shock me. JR is willing to spend on a contender, he just has never wanted to waste money on flawed teams that weren't going to go anywhere.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:38 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post

I'd imagine the new TV deal does help to some degree. The Sox have a larger stake in NBC Sports Chicago now, too thanks to the Cubs bowing out.

Wasn't the average MLB payroll last year something like $135M? I seem to recall that the Sox payroll in the past when they were actually try to compete was at least league average and perhaps slightly above.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:30 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
I'd imagine the new TV deal does help to some degree. The Sox have a larger stake in NBC Sports Chicago now, too thanks to the Cubs bowing out.

Wasn't the average MLB payroll last year something like $135M? I seem to recall that the Sox payroll in the past when they were actually try to compete was at least league average and perhaps slightly above.
The problem with trying to compare the White Sox to that league average is that its rise strongly correlates with the new revenue sharing changes. This is the only year under the current CBA where the White Sox have been active buyers in free agency, and the White Sox are the only team in the AL Central that doesnít receive revenue sharing dollars.