Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2017, 05:54 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Who is making a case for a big league job, so far? Here's the way I see it (based on televised games and published spring stats; I don't know what's been going on in B games).

Kevan Smith has been the best of our catchers, Soto the worst. Narvaez hasn't hurt himself, but if the Sox plan to keep Soto then Narvaez may get sent down.

Hayes, Delmonico, and Davidson have been swinging the bats well, and Avi Garcia seems to be feeling some pressure, since he's hitting even better. DH is shaping up as an interesting battle...do they go with a platoon?

Sanchez has been playing well, Moncada not so well. I'm ready to move on from Everth Cabrera. Eddy Alvarez has made the most of his cameos but he doesn't have a realistic chance of sticking.

Bourjos has looked terrific. May has surprised me, and he made a great catch today...he could end up as the fourth outfielder. Or Leury, who has improved since I last saw him. Asche has hit, but I don't think he's going to stick. Liriano hasn't shown enough. Engel has looked completely lost at the plate.

Giolito looked pretty good today, but he won't start the season with the Sox because of service time. Fulmer has been much improved, and ditto. So Q, Rodon, Gonzalez, Shields, Holland to start the season? Covey has been bad but he might be sixth in line. Or is it Holmberg?

Among right-handed relievers, Burdi has looked ready. Danish has not. Others (including many from last year's pen) have looked shaky.

The news is better for lefties. Clark, Soto and Luebke have been good. Bummer has a high ERA but is throwing strikes...he didn't have a realistic chance of breaking camp with the Sox but he looks like a real prospect.

Last edited by A. Cavatica; 03-09-2017 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

I would think in a rebuilding scenario leaving the DH spot open would be the way to go, but you never know with these guys
Old 03-09-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
I would think in a rebuilding scenario leaving the DH spot open would be the way to go, but you never know with these guys
In a rebuilding scenario turning spare parts into tradeable assets is very important. Hayes, Delmonico, Davidson aren't going to be stars, but maybe one of them has a useful career as a bench bat and role player. (Ross Gload, instead of Russ Morman.)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

Sanchez has been playing well, Moncada not so well.

Giolito looked pretty good today, but he won't start the season with the Sox because of service time. Fulmer has been much improved, and ditto. So Q, Rodon, Gonzalez, Shields, Holland to start the season? Covey has been bad but he might be sixth in line. Or is it Holmberg?
I assume Lopez is first in line to bump someone from the rotation.

My parents have also been attending cactus league games, Moncada was the only one they had anything good to say about. They don't even follow prospects, they just call him the new second baseman.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:26 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
In a rebuilding scenario turning spare parts into tradeable assets is very important. Hayes, Delmonico, Davidson aren't going to be stars, but maybe one of them has a useful career as a bench bat and role player. (Ross Gload, instead of Russ Morman.)
That's why it would be better to leave DH open
Old 03-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Quote:
That's why it would be better to leave DH open
Then I'm not sure what you mean by leaving DH open. Avi should probably be the DH but he's likely to be the RF. Someone has to DH!
Old 03-09-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
I assume Lopez is first in line to bump someone from the rotation.

My parents have also been attending cactus league games, Moncada was the only one they had anything good to say about. They don't even follow prospects, they just call him the new second baseman.
Lopez will be kept down for service time reasons, like Gio and Fulmer.

Moncada is an impressive athlete but he's not hitting much.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:42 PM
WSI Personality

The good news on Moncada is that his defense has been solid. That was supposed to be the weakest aspect of his game. So that is very encouraging. The guy played less than half a year at AA last year so I don't expect him to be ready for the majors just yet. I'd be ok with him starting the year at Birmingham and going to Charlotte only after he has shown he can handle AA pitching.

Hayes has been impressive and I think is probably in line for a spot on the bench or DHing. Delmonico has looked good hitting but not so good defensively. Davidson has looked ok at third and broke out nicely today at the plate. If he keeps that up then perhaps he and Hayes split time at DH.

Bourjos has probably nailed down CF unless Tilson comes back and out plays him. I agree that May has looked good too but suspect Leury has the edge on him because of versatility.

I expect Giolito, Lopez, and Fulmer all to start at AAA. We have a starting five already even if it is mediocre.

Covey is a rule 5 guy so either he makes it in the bullpen or is gone. I suspect he is gone. He just hasn't pitched well enough and losing $50,000 is peanuts in baseball.

I expected Burdi to come up at mid-season but he is making a case for coming north in April. Luebke seems to have the edge as the second lefty at the moment. If Robertson is not traded then the bullpen probably looks like:
1-Robertson
2-Jones
3-Jennings
4-Putnam
5-Petricka
6-Luebke
7-whoever is the best of the rest - hard to say who that is at the moment if it is not Burdi.

Whenever Robertson or Jones gets traded I would expect Burdi to be the replacement.

Watching Kevan Smith hit I wondered if getting dropped from the 40-man was a motivational move. He does appear to be hitting his way on the team though his defense is not particularly impressive. For that I would want Pena. I'm not sure what Soto brings to the team at this point. Narvaez bats lefty so I think he is a lock at this point.

Giolito looked like he was aiming the ball too much today.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Then I'm not sure what you mean by leaving DH open. Avi should probably be the DH but he's likely to be the RF. Someone has to DH!
I mean to use the DH position to get at bats for whoever you want to get at bats for at that particular moment rather than a particular player slotted to DH. If you were giving at bats to Davidson, then you could DH Frazier, or if you giving at bats to a RF you could DH Avi, if Moncada's up but you still want at bats for Saladino and Sanchez, etc
Old 03-10-2017, 11:36 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Lopez will be kept down for service time reasons, like Gio and Fulmer.

Moncada is an impressive athlete but he's not hitting much.
That doesn't change that he is first in line imo. That's why they signed Holland and brought back Gonzalez.

On second thought maybe you're right, I forgot Covey was a rule 5 pick. I guess they would probably let him get lit up until June.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I mean to use the DH position to get at bats for whoever you want to get at bats for at that particular moment rather than a particular player slotted to DH. If you were giving at bats to Davidson, then you could DH Frazier, or if you giving at bats to a RF you could DH Avi, if Moncada's up but you still want at bats for Saladino and Sanchez, etc
I think we're in violent agreement. Carry no full-time DH. Keep a 1B who might take over when Abreu is traded, a 3B who might take over for Frazier, and a corner outfielder who might take over for Melky or Avi. Bonus points for having a better glove than their counterpart, for hitting from the opposite side of the plate from their counterpart, and for having the mental discipline to pinch-hit.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
That doesn't change that he is first in line imo. That's why they signed Holland and brought back Gonzalez.

On second thought maybe you're right, I forgot Covey was a rule 5 pick. I guess they would probably let him get lit up until June.
RH has pretty much said he wants to be bad enough to get a high pick...pity he hasn't been able to make all the trades he needs to make.

Covey hasn't looked good enough to keep, even as a punching bag. They could simply use the fifth spot to audition other players until they bring up Lopez or Gio.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM
WSI Church Elder

My feeling is Abreu is not going to be traded but we'll see.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:40 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
RH has pretty much said he wants to be bad enough to get a high pick...pity he hasn't been able to make all the trades he needs to make.
Being bad hasn't been a problem for this franchise.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:50 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Yeah it's a puff piece on Renteria's managing style, but sounds a lot different than Robin and there's nothing wrong with that.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...311-story.html

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...