And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 07:43 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSox597 View Post
Like hockey, lower body and upper body injuries?
Meaning, more gibberish?

Lawrie was an acceptable gamble at the time I guess but this guy can't stay healthy and if he can't he's pretty much worthless for a rebuilding team, a contender and everything in between.

Lip
Old 02-26-2017, 08:22 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

I dont get the injury gibberish during spring training, it cant be because of gambling. I suppose it has something to do with Hippa but Im not sure of that.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:47 PM
WSI Personality

Does anyone know if the Sox vs Brewers tickets are on sale or when they will go on sale??? Mar 31 and April 1 are the dates

Jeff

1.Cubs

3. Indians

2005 World Series Champion Chicago White Sox
Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I watched most of todays spring training game against the Dodgers. Couple observations:

Was it just me or did it look like Fulmer had tamed his delivery quite a bit? It didn't seem all that out of control me. He threw a couple bad pitches but otherwise put in two good innings.

Zack Collins hit the ball hard in his two at-bats. First one was an out to second but the next was a solid single to right-center. Both times I was impressed by his bat speed. Very quick, solid swing.

On a stolen base attempt on the other hand he did not look good. Bad technique leading to a low, late throw.

Otherwise nothing else really stood out to me. I missed Davidson's at-bat and hit so no comments there. Saw him handle a grounder cleanly and make a nice throw to first.
Reading interviews with Cooper, he said that Fulmer had issues getting under the ball on his delivery, which was one reason his fastball sailed on him last year. It does look like he simplified things with that reduced windup too. His cutter does seem to be coming along and he got some strikeouts with it.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:14 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellie_Fox View Post
Yes, it is. A year out of my life. I've never entered a season thinking that the Sox simply didn't care whether they won games or not.
I have zero respect for tanking.
I look at it through 2 perspectives-

Rick Hahn- every decision on player personnel- trade, draft, FA signings,etc- should be based on a "rebuild" mentality- with a target of contending again around 2019- which I believe is realistic assuming he continues to bring in prospects that are currently major league ready, or at the AA/AAA level, while using the 2017 and 2018 drafts to primarily load up the lower minors.

Rick Rentaria- with the personnel he has- every decision should be based on a best attempt to win with what he has- excluding potentially overworking any player that is part of the long term plan (primarily pitchers) or unnecessarily putting a key trade chip (Quintana, Robertson, etc.) at risk of injury.

Within that approach- I don't really care about 2017 wins and losses- I care about high quality trades of guys like Quintana, Robertson- maybe getting something of value from a contender "in need" for Melky, Frazier or Lawrie, etc.

I also care that Rentaria establishes himself as a high quality major league manager- after the mediocre years of Ventura (possible exception of 2012), and the later year's of Guillen's tenure (2009-2011)-

Good trades + solid season by Rentaria- and I think the Sox will have a solid foundation in place to be improved in 2018, and back to contending in 2019.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English Iím going to sing it."
Old 02-28-2017, 11:38 AM
WSI Prelate

Game Notes
http://mlb.com/mlb/presspass/gamenot...ist=game-notes

Giolito
admitted that the adrenaline rush from the packed stadium made him a little quick and ahead of himself, missing with the four-seam fastball.

"My biggest things are throwing a curveball for a strike, being able to differentiate throwing it for a strike and throwing the good one down for a put-away pitch, and then commanding fastballs to both sides of the plate," Giolito said. "I'll have plenty more opportunities, a lot of stuff to work on in the spring."

Frazier
wants to see how he responds Tuesday before he starts thinking about a return to game action. But he's focusing on hitting full stride by late March to be ready for the regular season.

Abreu
left Arizona for Miami following Monday's game to tend to personal matters. He is expected back Wednesday.

http://m.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...ith-white-sox/
<font color=#0066cc>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...pic10971_3.gif</font>
Old 02-28-2017, 09:04 PM
WSI Personality

So in todays split squad game with Seatlle Yoan Moncada looked pretty good in the field. This is supposed to be his biggest weakness and he looked fine. Didn't do anything spectacular but made a couple nice plays, showed some range on a ball to his left, made a nice backflip toss to Anderson to start a double play, made every play with the exception of a wind blown pop-up (Davidson had the exact same problem a inning or so earlier), and generally looked just fine out there at second base. That is very encouraging.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:46 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I like what I've seen of Cory Luebke so far. I think he's got a shot at making the 25-man roster, and possibly being flipped at the deadline.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

...and that injury to Jones is a reminder to RH to cash in the assets before something happens to them.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
...and that injury to Jones is a reminder to RH to cash in the assets before something happens to them.
You can't just 'give' these guys away just to avoid any chances of an injury either.

And Jones appears to be fine from what I read.

Lip
Old 03-01-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
You can't just 'give' these guys away just to avoid any chances of an injury either.

And Jones appears to be fine from what I read.

Lip
Yes, it sounds like he is.

My point is that waiting too long sacrifices one of the advantages of rebuilding: diversification. Say you have five high-value players to trade, and the chance of injuries reducing a player's value is 20% per year. Sit on those assets, and you'll end up with four high-value assets.

Now if you trade all five and get back a haul of 15 prospects, then you would expect 20% of the 15 to lose value to injuries over the same year. However, one of those 3 might not have amounted to anything, and can be easily replaced. Another might heal and resurrect his value. You might lose one of your best prospects, but because of diversification, the damage is limited.
Old 03-04-2017, 04:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Yes, it sounds like he is.

My point is that waiting too long sacrifices one of the advantages of rebuilding: diversification. Say you have five high-value players to trade, and the chance of injuries reducing a player's value is 20% per year. Sit on those assets, and you'll end up with four high-value assets.

Now if you trade all five and get back a haul of 15 prospects, then you would expect 20% of the 15 to lose value to injuries over the same year. However, one of those 3 might not have amounted to anything, and can be easily replaced. Another might heal and resurrect his value. You might lose one of your best prospects, but because of diversification, the damage is limited.
If they're going to flip Jones in July then his value may improve significantly after a potential Robertson trade compared to what it was in the offseason. It's worth the small risk of injury or poor performance to see if he can perform as a closer. It could mean the difference between getting back a top 40 prospect or a top 100 prospect at the deadline.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:46 PM
WSI Prelate

Yoan, Jose and Avi seem thick as thieves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1488743120031-731140257.jpg (89.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 03-05-2017, 02:21 PM
WSI Prelate

Lopez just made a fool out of Goldie. He looks good.

Last edited by KRS1; 03-05-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
WSI Prelate

He picks around the zone too much, though.