And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post

If only we could say the same for the outfield.
The ML level looks like ****. When you are lamenting Tilson not being healthy yet again, yeah, the situation just plain old sucks.

But I do like the upside potential on guys like Basabe, Fisher, and Call. Don't see any of those playing key roles until probably sometime 2019. But there is something to follow here each and every night on development. You'd figure they will be addressing more depth there in this year's draft and also next. But then if say you land Luis Robert and then get one of Meadows/Frazier/ Tucker in trade for Quintana, you're basically almost set there in the development of the entire future OF.

These are exciting times to see how this all develops down the line.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:12 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
I think the situation with Bourjos and May is interesting. Bourjos has made a strong case for himself and appears to be a better defender. Under normal circumstances you would keep Bourjos and send May to Charlotte but for a rebuilding team does that make any sense? Or should you just go ahead with the kid and hope he can carry his spring forward into the summer? I'm not convinced either May or Bourjos can but there is no way of knowing without letting them play. Maybe the Sox put Bourjos in center, May in left, and make Melky the DH.
I think Matt Davidson is going to be the DH until Todd Frazier is traded.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM
WSI High Priest

I think the White Sox are woefully low in overall outfielders across the organization- because Jacob May still has options left, I think he goes to Charlotte, to play every day for a few months until (at the latest) Cabrera is dealt at the trade deadline.

In the mean time I think that Bourjos makes the team and probably Liriano (as a project) unless the Sox can retain him sending him to Charlotte,

Whenever Quintana, Robertson, etc. are finally dealt- I'm sure outfield prospects will be part of the return.
2005-2016 Record: 56-44
MLB Parks Visited: 25, MiLB Parks Visited: 18
"When I heard the National Anthem it hit me," Jose Abreu said through White Sox spokesperson Lou Hernandez. "I love the Anthem. When I learn English I’m going to sing it."
Old 03-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Updating my post from 3/16 on position player battles.

CATCHERS - I think they'll keep Narvaez and Smith. Soto hasn't hit, and would have to be added to the 40-man roster. They may need those 40-man slots for others.

STARTING INFIELD - Abreu, Saladino, Anderson, Frazier.

BACKUP INFIELDER - Sanchez.

STARTING OUTFIELD - Cabrera and Avi Garcia in the corners, with May challenging Bourjos in center but unlikely to beat him out.

BACKUP OUTFIELDER - Leury Garcia. I think they love Garcia's versatility. If May beats out Bourjos, I think they say goodbye to Bourjos. More likely, Bourjos is the starter until Tilson is healthy, and they defer the hard decisions.

DH/BENCH BATS - They desperately need lefthanded hitters with power. Asche has to be the clear front-runner for a spot because he has been on fire with the bat, and he can play all four corners (though not very well). Hayes & Delmonico have options left and can be sent down.

They may also keep Davidson or Liriano to set up a DH platoon. Both hit righthanded and both are out of options. Edge to Davidson. Keeping either means they'll have to break camp with 12 pitchers, but I think Davidson has more value than, say, a Kahnle or Ynoa.

FUTURE - They re-evaluate the centerfield situation when Tilson is healthy. Hayes, Delmonico, Moncada, and Liriano (if he ends up in Charlotte) are in the running to be called up if Abreu, Frazier, or Cabrera are traded.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:43 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Updating my post from 3/16 on position player battles.

CATCHERS - I think they'll keep Narvaez and Smith. Soto hasn't hit, and would have to be added to the 40-man roster. They may need those 40-man slots for others.

Kevan Smith would also need to be added to the roster as well as the only catchers currently on the roster are Omar Narvaez and Alfredo Gonzalez who has already been optioned to the minors.

The 40 man roster has two openings on it currently and depending on who makes the team, other roster moves may need to be made.

Last edited by jcw218; 03-21-2017 at 02:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-21-2017, 01:35 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I think Matt Davidson is going to be the DH until Todd Frazier is traded.
I think that was/is the plan but reality is that he hasn't shown anything this spring. Asche has done a better job of claiming the DH job. I think they have a tough decision on their hands given that I understand Davidson is out of options.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:37 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
I think the White Sox are woefully low in overall outfielders across the organization- because Jacob May still has options left, I think he goes to Charlotte, to play every day for a few months until (at the latest) Cabrera is dealt at the trade deadline.

In the mean time I think that Bourjos makes the team and probably Liriano (as a project) unless the Sox can retain him sending him to Charlotte,

Whenever Quintana, Robertson, etc. are finally dealt- I'm sure outfield prospects will be part of the return.
I agree about May and Bourjos as the most likely outcome but disagree about Liriano. He has shown nothing to indicate he belongs on a major league roster and I doubt he gets lost in waivers if he gets sent down. And if he does... no big loss.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM
WSI Guru

Sox have sent down most of the top prospects to Charlotte this afternoon according to Dan Hayes. Kopech will start at Winston-Salem.

Good...absolutely no need to rush anybody, let them learn their craft.

Lip
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
The ML level looks like ****. When you are lamenting Tilson not being healthy yet again, yeah, the situation just plain old sucks.

But I do like the upside potential on guys like Basabe, Fisher, and Call. Don't see any of those playing key roles until probably sometime 2019. But there is something to follow here each and every night on development. You'd figure they will be addressing more depth there in this year's draft and also next. But then if say you land Luis Robert and then get one of Meadows/Frazier/ Tucker in trade for Quintana, you're basically almost set there in the development of the entire future OF.

Now that would be outstanding!
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 03-21-2017, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White
I think that was/is the plan but reality is that he hasn't shown anything this spring. Asche has done a better job of claiming the DH job. I think they have a tough decision on their hands given that I understand Davidson is out of options.
The BB rate is still there, and the extra-base power is still there. Cody Asche can still make the team as a lefty bat off the bench and get plenty of playing time. I don't really care what happens to Rymer Liriano or Leury Garcia, so either or both of them can go to make room for guys who actually can hit the ball out of the ballpark in Davidson and Asche.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post

We have so many prospects that project as fourth outfielders (Call, Fisher, Tilson, May, Basabe, etc). I feel like one of them has to break out as something more than that.

Robert would be nice, and I think we're the early favorites to land him, too.

Could see us getting a major, major haul for Q if he starts the year off well, particularly from the Yankees. They should be pretty good this season, and have a glaring need for a frontline arm.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The BB rate is still there, and the extra-base power is still there.
Yeah... but... contact. He's got to make contact. He's really shown nothing this spring to excite me. Nothing to turn me off but really, he's mostly been a non-entity. If it wasn't that I keep hoping he'll show us something I wouldn't even have noticed him.

Quote:
Cody Asche can still make the team as a lefty bat off the bench and get plenty of playing time. I don't really care what happens to Rymer Liriano or Leury Garcia, so either or both of them can go to make room for guys who actually can hit the ball out of the ballpark in Davidson and Asche.
Possible we see Davidson/Asche as a DH platoon. Probably makes sense under the circumstances. Asche would get the majority of at-bats that way but Davidson would still be around in case Frazier gets traded at the deadline.

I suspect Leury Garcia is almost guaranteed a roster spot. He has position flexibility no one else has... and on the bright side he no longer looks totally overmatched at the plate. He may actually be a good utility man. Part of the reason we are all soured on him is that the one year they brought him up was way to early for him. He was totally overmatched at the plate. But now he's had two seasons of hitting .300 at AAA and may actually he ready to be a productive major leaguer. We'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shes View Post
Robert would be nice, and I think we're the early favorites to land him, too.

Could see us getting a major, major haul for Q if he starts the year off well, particularly from the Yankees. They should be pretty good this season, and have a glaring need for a frontline arm.
Signing Luis Robert would make all the difference in the world on the rebuild if he is for real.

I had been wondering what was up with the Sox and international signings. One way to rebuild your farm system for the long haul is to go heavy into the international arena. The Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, and a few other teams do that and most of them regularly have strong systems that don't get depleted by being winners that draft later in the rounds as a result.

The article that indicated the Sox might be the favorites for Robert made the point that the Sox were not making an international splash and would have the money to be able to sign Robert as a result. That point alone gave me some positive feelings about our chances of getting him (and if they don't make the big play for him then why the hell aren't they going heavy into international signings???).

Quote:
We have so many prospects that project as fourth outfielders (Call, Fisher, Tilson, May, Basabe, etc). I feel like one of them has to break out as something more than that.
It was only two at-bats but I really liked what I saw of Basabe in the one spring training game he got into. Nice swing. Solid contact both times with a solid run scoring single and then a solid run scoring sacrifice fly in his second at-bat. Fast too. I am hopeful that he can develop. I agree that Call, Fisher, Tilson, and May are probably all fourth outfielder types with the one exception maybe being Fisher who might be a solid DH candidate as his problem really is lack of a position rather than lack of a projectable bat.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
I agree that Call, Fisher, Tilson, and May are probably all fourth outfielder types with the one exception maybe being Fisher who might be a solid DH candidate as his problem really is lack of a position rather than lack of a projectable bat.
Let's leave Tilson out of this for now.

Based on what body of evidence are are Fischer, Call and May fourth outfielder types?
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
.317/.391/.683

So guess we can stop worrying now?
And the whole Benintendi vs. Moncada debate, everyone is still all over Benintendi like he's the next coming (me as well since I have him in a few fantasy leagues).

But in almost the exact same # of AB:

41ab - 7r - 13hits - 4 2b - 1 3b - 3 hr - 13 rbi - 5 bb - 14 k - .317/.391/.683

43ab - 5r - 13hits - 6 2b - 0 3b - 2 hr - 8 rbi - 6 bb - 5 k - .302/.380/.581

Moncada is a year younger as well and is playing a position that having that kind of offense is even more valuable than in LF.

I'm all in with Moncada!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:56 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTucker0814 View Post
And the whole Benintendi vs. Moncada debate, everyone is still all over Benintendi like he's the next coming (me as well since I have him in a few fantasy leagues).

But in almost the exact same # of AB:

41ab - 7r - 13hits - 4 2b - 1 3b - 3 hr - 13 rbi - 5 bb - 14 k - .317/.391/.683

43ab - 5r - 13hits - 6 2b - 0 3b - 2 hr - 8 rbi - 6 bb - 5 k - .302/.380/.581

Moncada is a year younger as well and is playing a position that having that kind of offense is even more valuable than in LF.

I'm all in with Moncada!
I think that Benitendi is just a bit more polished right now. I think both will be great players, but I think Moncada has the higher ceiling with Benitendi the higher floor.

The only worries I have with Moncada is the defense and his problems with offspeed pitches. Most of his damage in the spring has been on fastballs (which he can slaughter with his bat speed), but still K's a lot on the breaking ball. If he can iron that out I think he could be a top 5-10 player in MLB.

H2H1 Champion 2011, 2012
Dynasty Runner up 2012