And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2017, 12:57 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
If Kopech and Basabe become all stars, but Moncada flounders, that still would be considered a failure?
I'll fall off my chair in shock if both Kopech and Basabe become all-stars. I'll be delighted if both become big leaguers at some point.

I just don't think it's all that controversial to say the Sox need Moncada to become the guy they think he can be.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Last edited by JB98; 03-16-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:04 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Which people in the Red Sox organization were concerned? The kid had a brief call up and didn't fare well.

The same could be said about players like: Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Nellie Fox, Robert Clemente, Mike Schmidt and Ryne Sandberg.

The powers that be need a little more data on Moncada before making a decision on his career in a White Sox jersey.
Because it's considered acceptable in sports journalism to cite unnamed sources, specific people were not identified. The upshot is, that people can shop for the sports news that matches their worldview. You see it all the time here with people posting "great article" because it lines up with what they want to believe, even if it isn't particularly well written or researched. And I honestly don't know if the White Sox actually thoroughly scouted Moncada or if they were just impressed with the prospect rankings number.

So it is possible that concerns expressed in the Boston media after Moncada struck out 12 times in 20 plate appearances for the Red Sox last September were just made up.

I'll concede that point to anyone who refuses to cite any story citing unnamed sources in the future.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
And I honestly don't know if the White Sox actually thoroughly scouted Moncada or if they were just impressed with the prospect rankings number.
They scouted him when he was coming out of Cuba, scouted him in minor league games and scouted him in the AFL. Do you think that they would trade for a player they had no idea about?

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-16-2017, 02:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
I'll fall off my chair in shock if both Kopech and Basabe become all-stars. I'll be delighted if both become big leaguers at some point.
Have you seen Kopech pitch? He already is a major league caliber pitcher, it's just whether or not he's going to find this offspeed stuff and be a starter or reliever.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
CENTER FIELD - Bourjos seems to have won the job, for now.
It's not that I doubt that he's the best CF in camp, but I just don't see the point.
He has no potential. He can't be dressed up for a trade; and he's not part of a championship team, except as, perhaps, 5th OF.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:35 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Have you seen Kopech pitch? He already is a major league caliber pitcher, it's just whether or not he's going to find this offspeed stuff and be a starter or reliever.
Yes, saw him Sunday on TV. And I completely disagree that he is a major league caliber pitcher right now. I saw some things I like, but there's still significant work to be done, IMO.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
It's not that I doubt that he's the best CF in camp, but I just don't see the point.
He has no potential. He can't be dressed up for a trade; and he's not part of a championship team, except as, perhaps, 5th OF.
I was expecting Tilson, May and Engel to be fighting for the job, with Tilson winning. But he got hurt.

May has looked good, but others have convinced me that there's no reason to rush him. And Engel has looked lost at the plate, the little league triple yesterday notwithstanding.

At least if Bourjos performs well you might get a C prospect for him at the deadline. Leury has little upside, and without the major league track record, he's less attractive at the deadline.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:45 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
And I honestly don't know if the White Sox actually thoroughly scouted Moncada or if they were just impressed with the prospect rankings number.
To suggest that the White Sox or any other organization used a prospect ranking to determine whether they were impressed with a certain player is just silly...I don't care how dysfunctional the organization is. We fans are usually the only ones who are impressed by those rankings.

Quote:
So it is possible that concerns expressed in the Boston media after Moncada struck out 12 times in 20 plate appearances for the Red Sox last September were just made up.
I'm sure the concern in Boston about the strikeouts was legit...I'd like to see the strikeouts cut down as well. But I'm willing to bet you won't find more than a handful top 100 prospects who don't need to cut down on their strikeouts, especially the ones whose power is a large part of their offensive game. Almost all these top prospects can do something with the ball when they make contact. Pitch recognition and the ability to keep the strikeout numbers to a passable level is a part of every top prospect's development and those things are what separate major leaguers from all these prospects still playing in the minors. Moncada still has work to do in this area of his development, which is one of the reasons I hope he spends almost the whole year in the minors.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Psst... Moncada hit two HR yesterday and raised his slash line to .242/.342/.545
Spring Training or not, Arizona air or not, I think it's great. Really pulling for this guy.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:52 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
Yes, saw him Sunday on TV. And I completely disagree that he is a major league caliber pitcher right now. I saw some things I like, but there's still significant work to be done, IMO.
I saw a kid hitting the glove with his fastball while showing some serous velocity. Smith did not have to move his mitt very much at all when he was throwing his heater. His breaking stuff......well that needs some work. But he could come up to the big leagues now and work as a reliever with success.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargeant79 View Post
I'm sure the concern in Boston about the strikeouts was legit...I'd like to see the strikeouts cut down as well. But I'm willing to bet you won't find more than a handful top 100 prospects who don't need to cut down on their strikeouts, especially the ones whose power is a large part of their offensive game.
Striking out 150 times is no longer viewed as an issue in MLB, it's just the way that the game is evolving.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:18 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Striking out 150 times is no longer viewed as an issue in MLB, it's just the way that the game is evolving.
And Moncada is already walking at a solid rate. If he were to strike out 150 times in the majors at his current rate he'd also walk 60.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 03-16-2017, 06:15 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
And Moncada is already walking at a solid rate. If he were to strike out 150 times in the majors at his current rate he'd also walk 60.
Just some names from 2016

Chris Davis - 219 Ks
George Springer - 178
Freddie Freeman - 171
Mark Trumbo - 170
Ian Desmond - 160
Will Myers - 160
Nelson Cruz - 159
Kris Bryant - 154
Paul Goldschmidt - 150

I think Sox fans would love all of these guys to be on the roster.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:51 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Nellie Fox is rolling in his grave, 10351 PAs in 19 years, 216 strike outs.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
Nellie Fox is rolling in his grave, 10351 PAs in 19 years, 216 strike outs.
I'm sure he's not the only one.
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." George Orwell