And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
WSI Church Elder

Default Poor Johnny D.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ohn-danks.html

Never recovered from that shoulder injury.
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
WSI Church Elder

Time for John to accept it's over. I understand not wanting to pitch in the minors...but looks like it's that or retirement cause he can no longer pitch at the MLB level.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Hey if we are tanking lets bring him back and let him get lit up for a few months until some of the prospects are ready to be brought up!
Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM
WSI High Priest

Even though it suck that he has not been able to overcome his injury, his wife is pregnant so may be the perfect time to retire.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM
WSI Prelate

For as much crap given to Reinsdorf, his policy on long term massive deals for pitching couldn't be any more right. Avoid them. He played that hand once and here was that result.

Just look around at the awful long terms deals sitting out there for pitching right now. Greinke and Price come to mind right away. Verlander turned it around last year, but I don't trust him to sustain it making his contract value worth it for the next 3 seasons.

It's just a bad gamble.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
For as much crap given to Reinsdorf, his policy on long term massive deals for pitching couldn't be any more right. Avoid them. He played that hand once and here was that result.

Just look around at the awful long terms deals sitting out there for pitching right now. Greinke and Price come to mind right away. Verlander turned it around last year, but I don't trust him to sustain it making his contract value worth it for the next 3 seasons.

It's just a bad gamble.
But that is the way the game is played today in an industry swimming in cash...literally printing it by the bushel.

You don't want to take the risk that everyone else is doing? Fine, that's your choice but you are going to see the talent go to other teams and they don't all fail, get injured or stop caring.

Lip
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
But that is the way the game is played today in an industry swimming in cash...literally printing it by the bushel.

You don't want to take the risk that everyone else is doing? Fine, that's your choice but you are going to see the talent go to other teams and they don't all fail, get injured or stop caring.

Lip

It's a bad bad bet, regardless if everyone has that kind of money to afford to piss it away on pitching. I guarantee the Diamondbacks and Red Sox now regret both those deals.

Use the money on every day position players.

That's part of my biggest beef with Sox management has been. They've been able to assemble good young affordable pitching for a long time now with the help of a good pitching coach, but they have failed to execute in spending for the everyday position players in their prime. Those are the gambles you want to take for those 9 figure deals.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:

Lip
I'd argue the swimming in cash statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It's a bad bad bet, regardless if everyone has that kind of money to afford to piss it away on pitching. I guarantee the Diamondbacks and Red Sox now regret both those deals.

Use the money on every day position players.

That's part of my biggest beef with Sox management has been. They've been able to assemble good young affordable pitching for a long time now with the help of a good pitching coach, but they have failed to execute in spending for the everyday position players in their prime. Those are the gambles you want to take for those 9 figure deals.
I totally agree. I remember the Kevin Brown, John Lackey (BoSox), Mike Hampton and Roy Halladay contracts.

Doesn't Lester have a monster contract too?

Last edited by Grzegorz; 03-21-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post

I totally agree. I remember the Kevin Brown, John Lackey (BoSox), Mike Hampton and Roy Halladay contracts.

Doesn't Lester have a monster contract too?
Totally. Oh my, the list is crazy on pitching flops with big $.

Even the Tanaka deal which we were involved with, Yankees walk on egg shells every time he takes the mound. CC Sabathia another one. Johan Santana comes to mind.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
According to both Selig and Manfred MLB is now on par with the NFL in terms of overall revenue.

They should know shouldn't they?

Lip
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

Big money Long term pitching contracts show how much Quintana is worth. A team is only guaranteeing him about 14mm for two years, then options kick in for 2 years, at reasonable prices. If he gets hurt it wouldnt hurt any team out there. A kings ransom has to be the return for this guy.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
According to both Selig and Manfred MLB is now on par with the NFL in terms of overall revenue.

They should know shouldn't they?

Lip
Being second doesn't mean being 'on par'. Let's look at club debt/financing. Open those books then we'll talk.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 PM
WSI Personality

John Danks right now