White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:25 PM
Bucky F. Dent Bucky F. Dent is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Westfield, Indiana
Posts: 4,926
Default Poor Johnny D.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ohn-danks.html

Never recovered from that shoulder injury.
__________________
It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. - A. Bartlett Giamatti
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-20-2017, 03:36 PM
wdelaney72 wdelaney72 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,099
Default

Time for John to accept it's over. I understand not wanting to pitch in the minors...but looks like it's that or retirement cause he can no longer pitch at the MLB level.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:30 PM
hoosiersoxfan hoosiersoxfan is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,681
Default

Hey if we are tanking lets bring him back and let him get lit up for a few months until some of the prospects are ready to be brought up!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-20-2017, 04:47 PM
Rocky Soprano Rocky Soprano is offline
WSI High Priest
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Munster, IN
Posts: 9,200
Default

Even though it suck that he has not been able to overcome his injury, his wife is pregnant so may be the perfect time to retire.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-20-2017, 10:29 PM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,109
Default

For as much crap given to Reinsdorf, his policy on long term massive deals for pitching couldn't be any more right. Avoid them. He played that hand once and here was that result.

Just look around at the awful long terms deals sitting out there for pitching right now. Greinke and Price come to mind right away. Verlander turned it around last year, but I don't trust him to sustain it making his contract value worth it for the next 3 seasons.

It's just a bad gamble.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 30,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
For as much crap given to Reinsdorf, his policy on long term massive deals for pitching couldn't be any more right. Avoid them. He played that hand once and here was that result.

Just look around at the awful long terms deals sitting out there for pitching right now. Greinke and Price come to mind right away. Verlander turned it around last year, but I don't trust him to sustain it making his contract value worth it for the next 3 seasons.

It's just a bad gamble.
But that is the way the game is played today in an industry swimming in cash...literally printing it by the bushel.

You don't want to take the risk that everyone else is doing? Fine, that's your choice but you are going to see the talent go to other teams and they don't all fail, get injured or stop caring.

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-21-2017, 12:17 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
But that is the way the game is played today in an industry swimming in cash...literally printing it by the bushel.

You don't want to take the risk that everyone else is doing? Fine, that's your choice but you are going to see the talent go to other teams and they don't all fail, get injured or stop caring.

Lip

It's a bad bad bet, regardless if everyone has that kind of money to afford to piss it away on pitching. I guarantee the Diamondbacks and Red Sox now regret both those deals.

Use the money on every day position players.

That's part of my biggest beef with Sox management has been. They've been able to assemble good young affordable pitching for a long time now with the help of a good pitching coach, but they have failed to execute in spending for the everyday position players in their prime. Those are the gambles you want to take for those 9 figure deals.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-21-2017, 04:11 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
But that is the way the game is played today in an industry swimming in cash...literally printing it by the bushel.

You don't want to take the risk that everyone else is doing? Fine, that's your choice but you are going to see the talent go to other teams and they don't all fail, get injured or stop caring.

Lip
I'd argue the swimming in cash statement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
It's a bad bad bet, regardless if everyone has that kind of money to afford to piss it away on pitching. I guarantee the Diamondbacks and Red Sox now regret both those deals.

Use the money on every day position players.

That's part of my biggest beef with Sox management has been. They've been able to assemble good young affordable pitching for a long time now with the help of a good pitching coach, but they have failed to execute in spending for the everyday position players in their prime. Those are the gambles you want to take for those 9 figure deals.
I totally agree. I remember the Kevin Brown, John Lackey (BoSox), Mike Hampton and Roy Halladay contracts.

Doesn't Lester have a monster contract too?
__________________
"Of all the tyrannies on human kind
The worst is that which persecutes the mind." - John Dryden

Last edited by Grzegorz; 03-21-2017 at 04:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-21-2017, 09:42 AM
LoveYourSuit LoveYourSuit is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 14,109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I'd argue the swimming in cash statement.




I totally agree. I remember the Kevin Brown, John Lackey (BoSox), Mike Hampton and Roy Halladay contracts.

Doesn't Lester have a monster contract too?
Totally. Oh my, the list is crazy on pitching flops with big $.

Even the Tanaka deal which we were involved with, Yankees walk on egg shells every time he takes the mound. CC Sabathia another one. Johan Santana comes to mind.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Lip Man 1 Lip Man 1 is offline
WSI Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Chubbuck, Idaho
Posts: 30,178
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
I'd argue the swimming in cash statement.
According to both Selig and Manfred MLB is now on par with the NFL in terms of overall revenue.

They should know shouldn't they?

Lip
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:53 AM
Noneck Noneck is offline
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Nw Side
Posts: 9,911
Default

Big money Long term pitching contracts show how much Quintana is worth. A team is only guaranteeing him about 14mm for two years, then options kick in for 2 years, at reasonable prices. If he gets hurt it wouldnt hurt any team out there. A kings ransom has to be the return for this guy.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 2,226
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
According to both Selig and Manfred MLB is now on par with the NFL in terms of overall revenue.

They should know shouldn't they?

Lip
Being second doesn't mean being 'on par'. Let's look at club debt/financing. Open those books then we'll talk.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-21-2017, 10:33 PM
ricker182 ricker182 is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 853
Default

John Danks right now
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:15 PM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.