Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 06:26 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
He did but every pitcher we threw out there today has let up at least 2 runs, I have a hunch that our offense will get the job done in 2019 but the pitching staff except for the late inning guys scares the crap out of me.
As well you should be sir.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:33 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With 2 home runs allowed. Not a good outing at all.

Yeah, I don't get it. If he pitches this well all year, he'll be the worst starting regular again.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:32 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post

I'm not happy about the injuries either but i'm not on the ledge about them.
Before the rebuild, injuries to pitchers were taken more seriously by more people in this forum. And I don't know that any pitcher that had surgery justified any of the optimism that was present.

I can be hopeful about a pitcher recovering from an injury. I can't be optimistic. Any pitcher coming back from an injury is going to have to be judged on what they do post injury. Calling someone a question mark isn't the same as assuming failure. There are some who have bought into the rebuild (and had a lot more faith in the future of the prospects than I) who have been ignoring the question marks.

I don't see how anyone can be confident about the rebuild producing a contender within the next couple of years.
Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDog View Post
Before the rebuild, injuries to pitchers were taken more seriously by more people in this forum. And I don't know that any pitcher that had surgery justified any of the optimism that was present.

I can be hopeful about a pitcher recovering from an injury. I can't be optimistic. Any pitcher coming back from an injury is going to have to be judged on what they do post injury. Calling someone a question mark isn't the same as assuming failure. There are some who have bought into the rebuild (and had a lot more faith in the future of the prospects than I) who have been ignoring the question marks.

I don't see how anyone can be confident about the rebuild producing a contender within the next couple of years.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 PM
WSI Prelate

Sad thing about Giolito is that I think most fans have simply just turned the page on him as they have with Fulmer. I know I have. I don't even consider him a rebuild piece anymore nor have him penciled in as one of our 5 future starters.

However, with everyone getting injured, that list is now slim.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
Sad thing about Giolito is that I think most fans have simply just turned the page on him as they have with Fulmer. I know I have. I don't even consider him a rebuild piece anymore nor have him penciled in as one of our 5 future starters.

However, with everyone getting injured, that list is now slim.
I'm much quicker to call Moncada a bust than Giolito but I get where you are coming from. He reminds me of a Gavin Floyd type where if he can locate he can be close to unhittable. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to locate very often.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10
I'm much quicker to call Moncada a bust than Giolito but I get where you are coming from. He reminds me of a Gavin Floyd type where if he can locate he can be close to unhittable. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to locate very often.
If Giolito develops into Gavin Floyd, along with Reynaldo Lopez making a positive contribution to the rotation, I would consider the Eaton trade a win.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 PM
WSI Prelate

A couple of things:

1. Madrigal will not have any problem hitting, but he needs to add some pop and become a 10 HR guy for him to have an impact at the major league level. Otherwise, he is David Eckstein.

2. Robert is going to be a monster.

3. Moncada developing into whatever we hope he develops into will definitely patch the Machado wound.

4. We will suck because we have absolutely no pitching.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxkid23 View Post
Dunning looks great when he pitches. Eveything I'm reading it appears his arm has all but blown up and surgery is now on the table. Again, logic says..
Point me to one source, backed by medical opinion, that says Dunning's arm has "blown up".

"The right-hander was limited to a throwing program until throwing side sessions and seeing some Instructional League action in October, but Dunning was healthy coming into Spring Training, until forearm soreness set him back early in camp. He was examined by White Sox team doctor Nik Verma in Glendale and Andrews in Pensacola, Fla., and went through rest and treatment before resuming his throwing program."

I see this source: https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/da...y-john-surgery

Surgery is in the discussion, so is rest and rehab. Treatment for Tommy John (UCL) injuries ranges from rest and physical therapy to surgery. It would depend on the extent of the UCL tear and the goals of the patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
A couple of things:

1. Madrigal will not have any problem hitting, but he needs to add some pop and become a 10 HR guy for him to have an impact at the major league level. Otherwise, he is David Eckstein.

2. Robert is going to be a monster.

3. Moncada developing into whatever we hope he develops into will definitely patch the Machado wound.

4. We will suck because we have absolutely no pitching.
1. Madrigal has never taken a MLB at bat.

2. Robert has never taken a MLB at bat.

3. Wound? Please...

4. No pitching? None? Won't Coop fix it?

If the pitching does not improve this year, changes up and down the line need to be made.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004

Last edited by Grzegorz; 03-16-2019 at 08:15 AM. Reason: fixed
Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC727 View Post
Great post.

There is emotion and then there is logic and facts. Thank you.

I laugh at the posts talking about "elbow blowing up" or "elbow exploding" or "arm exploding." Seriously???

I would hardly call a tear in the ulnar collateral ligament as an elbow exploding.

I'm not happy about the injuries either but i'm not on the ledge about them.
+1

....and yeah, that doesn't mean any of us are happy with the injuries, either.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:15 AM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Sox had a ton of minor league pitching depth last year. There have been many injuries, but history says many of those pitchers will eventually get back to where they were. Others will improve greatly (as Cease, Lambert and Flores did last year).

I'm not sure they'll get five strong starters out of the current crop of young pitchers, but four still seems likely, and they have the money to bring in a veteran.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:22 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
He's done a nice job settling down since another HR in the second, racking up a ton of Ks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
7k in 5 innings. If he continues to do that his runs and hits should drop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
With 2 home runs allowed. Not a good outing at all.
Yeah, I'd call it some hopeful signs (strikeouts), but still needs to improve (HRs allowed).

I expect to get flak for posting this, but here's what Giolito has to say about where he was last year (a number of games where he only had one pitch he could throw for a strike) and how he feels about his pitches (particularly his curve ball) now:
https://www.mlb.com/whitesox/news/lu...ll-his-pitches

I know, I know, same old "best shape of my life stuff" and he's still giving up runs in spring training and "well, duh!" about last year. I think we can all agree that he MUST get better when the regular season starts and if he has a repeat of 2018, then his days in the rotation may be over. But, that being said, this is a Spring Training Thread last I saw and I am interested in what he has to say even if it's just talk. So, I'm sharing it here and preemptively asking others to please spare me the outrage for posting this.

Also, an interesting quote from Jace Fry in the article (another pitcher who has to be better when the regular season starts):
Quote:
“Say I have two outs and nobody on with that batter. I'll work on my fastball command, not necessarily worry about giving up runs or giving up hits. I'm really just trying to grind out the inefficiencies I have in my game.”
In addition, the article notes that Minaya has been outrighted to AAA.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:53 AM
WSI High Priest

When Giolito says his curve feels “10 times better,” I would like to know the context. Is he talking about spin on the ball, break, command, feel in the hand, arm angle, how his elbow feels after throwing it, or something else entirely?

I wish Merkin would dig a little deeper, even though it’s not really his job to write anything more than team-dictated fluff pieces.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:49 PM
WSI High Priest

FWIW interesting ST stats, Sox are 2nd in team BA at .284 but 30th in ERA at 6.78.
I'm surprised that they didn't seperate the stats into Florida and Arizona.

Last edited by LITTLE NELL; 03-16-2019 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2019, 03:23 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LITTLE NELL View Post
FWIW interesting ST stats, Sox are 2nd in team BA at .284 but 30th in ERA at 6.78.
I'm surprised that they didn't seperate the stats into Florida and Arizona.
Translating those numbers to Chicago:

.224 BA
6.77 ERA
Closed Thread