White Sox Interactive Forums
Minor Observations

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Minor Observations
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #241  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,004
Default

Chuck Garfien has an interview with Alec Hansen today.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...-kind-spiraled

Needless to say, it'll be a huge boost to the Sox rebuild if Hansen can put 2018 behind him and return to his 2017 form.
  #242  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:25 PM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 56,863
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Chuck Garfien has an interview with Alec Hansen today.
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...-kind-spiraled

Needless to say, it'll be a huge boost to the Sox rebuild if Hansen can put 2018 behind him and return to his 2017 form.
There will be a lot of eyes on that Monday start. Hope he can figure it out and get back to being the pitcher he was before.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
  #243  
Old 03-12-2019, 07:31 PM
Grzegorz Grzegorz is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Western Suburbs
Posts: 4,534
Default

Did he lose the forty pounds on his own or was that part of a program?
__________________
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
  #244  
Old 03-15-2019, 01:40 PM
ChiTownTrojan ChiTownTrojan is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 777
Default

Per Hector Gomez, the Sox are trying to sign Eloy to an 8 year/$100M extension. Here's the SSS writeup about it:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/3/...enez-extension
  #245  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:08 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 27,939
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
Per Hector Gomez, the Sox are trying to sign Eloy to an 8 year/$100M extension. Here's the SSS writeup about it:

https://www.southsidesox.com/2019/3/...enez-extension
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...d.php?t=148741

Old news already.
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
  #246  
Old 03-15-2019, 02:56 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grzegorz View Post
Did he lose the forty pounds on his own or was that part of a program?
For a guy who's lost the kind of velocity that he did, I'm not sure I'm excited to hear he lost 40 pounds and is trying to focus on longevity of outings. He's not going to be effective throwing in the 80's.
  #247  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:25 PM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
For a guy who's lost the kind of velocity that he did, I'm not sure I'm excited to hear he lost 40 pounds and is trying to focus on longevity of outings. He's not going to be effective throwing in the 80's.
To clarify, the article said he lost the 40 lbs before last season and has gained it back this year.
__________________

White Sox Baseball
:
The future's so bright, I gotta wear SHADES!


# of teams with a longer playoff drought = 3:
San Diego (2006), Miami (2003), Seattle (2001)

# of teams with fewer playoff appearances since 1995 = 3:
Kansas City
(2), Toronto (2), Miami (2)

  #248  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:38 PM
blandman blandman is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
To clarify, the article said he lost the 40 lbs before last season and has gained it back this year.

Ah...gotcha. Will be interesting to see the gun readings his first outing. He doesn't have the kind of stuff to accompany it with an 88 mph fastball. He needs to throw harder, and he needs to regain command of all of his pitches. We'll see.
  #249  
Old 03-16-2019, 11:24 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,470
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Ah...gotcha. Will be interesting to see the gun readings his first outing. He doesn't have the kind of stuff to accompany it with an 88 mph fastball. He needs to throw harder, and he needs to regain command of all of his pitches. We'll see.
I haven't heard anything about him this spring. Maybe that's because he's in the minor league camp and we just don't get much news about the guys there?
  #250  
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM
GoSox2K3 GoSox2K3 is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 2,470
Default Dunning Undergoes TJS

I know this was discussed in the Spring Training/This Team is Doomed thread in the Clubhouse forum, but I also wanted note Dane Dunning undergoing Tommy John surgery here since he is a minor leaguer.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...-john-surgery/

Losing another top 100 starting pitching talent to TJS is a big blow. The only positive thing I can say is that at least it's not a shoulder issue and many (yes, I said "many", not "all") players do come back successfully from this.

One of my biggest concerns for Dunning having TJS is the timing. I had thought having TJS now would knock him out of action for not only all of 2019 but also all of 2020 due to an 18-month recover time. But I read elsewhere that it's not usually 18 months for pitchers and that he should be back sometime mid-2020. The Sun-Times article says 14-16 months.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/...-john-surgery/
  #251  
Old 03-19-2019, 08:59 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 654
Default

The thing that hurts was that 3/4 of the top pitching prospects (Cease, Dunning, Kopech, Hansen) have hit major roadblocks. I'll feel much better if Cease stays healthy and Hansen can rebound. It sucks that this knocks Dunning out until at least mid 2020 and the earliest he would likely be in the majors is 2021 now.

Cross your fingers the positional players fare better. I still have faith in Robert.
  #252  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:07 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
The thing that hurts was that 3/4 of the top pitching prospects (Cease, Dunning, Kopech, Hansen) have hit major roadblocks. I'll feel much better if Cease stays healthy and Hansen can rebound. It sucks that this knocks Dunning out until at least mid 2020 and the earliest he would likely be in the majors is 2021 now.

Cross your fingers the positional players fare better. I still have faith in Robert.
Add to how bad Giolito has been, and it’s really been disappointing.
__________________
  #253  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:13 AM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 654
Default

True and this is why you accumulate as many prospects as possible.
  #254  
Old 03-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
True and this is why you accumulate as many prospects as possible.
And also why, even while a rebuild seems like its going very badly, things can turn quickly.

Lets say in 2019 we get a Moncada who hits .260 with 30 homers and an .825 OPS, One or 2 of the young OF takes a step forward and starts to look like a major league OF, like say Rutherford all of the sudden shows 20 home run potential, say Gavin Sheets turns the doubles into Homers, or Giolito goes out and goes 12-10 with a 4.25 ERA, so much can still go right to turn the ship, but they have to know the ship has to be turned still.
  #255  
Old 03-19-2019, 10:39 AM
Harry Chappas Harry Chappas is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Evanston
Posts: 1,186
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domeshot17 View Post
And also why, even while a rebuild seems like its going very badly, things can turn quickly.

Lets say in 2019 we get a Moncada who hits .260 with 30 homers and an .825 OPS, One or 2 of the young OF takes a step forward and starts to look like a major league OF, like say Rutherford all of the sudden shows 20 home run potential, say Gavin Sheets turns the doubles into Homers, or Giolito goes out and goes 12-10 with a 4.25 ERA, so much can still go right to turn the ship, but they have to know the ship has to be turned still.
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think Dunning projected to be more than a 2-3 so he was never expected to be the ace on a contending team. They could potentially sign someone of Dunning's caliber if they need to fill a hole in their rotation.

This will be a very interesting year in terms of their farm system with so many prospects moving up a level in competition. Who knows? Maybe a few new names will emerge.
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:04 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.