White Sox Interactive Forums
Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #46  
Old 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,616
Default

Agreed that the only one that sounds potentially worrying right now is Gonzalez's shoulder strain. That's probably nothing too, but I can't blame Sox fans for feeling some sense of "here we go again" after the last several years of having "day to day" spring training minor injuries turn in to weeks or months-long absences.

This report on Gonzalez's injury from Hahn at least sounds encouraging FWIW:
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/wh...ez-expected-be
Quote:
"Gio Gonzalez, when he was at home two to three weeks ago doing his throwing program, felt a little discomfort in his shoulder, so we slowed him down," Hahn said. "We got him treated up, he showed up here feeling great, but again, due to the missed time, he's a little bit behind, as well...."
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 02-13-2020, 10:55 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,975
Default

I guess it's never to early to remind people of things like this:

Lucas Giolito 2019 ST Stats: 18.1 IP, 8.84 ERA, 1.91 WHIP
Cody Bellinger 2019 ST Stats: .226/.306/.528
Byron Buxton 2019 ST Stats: .410/.455/.795

Tampa Bay 2019 ST Record: 13- 17
San Diego 2019 ST Record: 18- 11
LA Dodgers 2019 ST Record: 14- 15
Kansas City 2019 ST Record: 18- 12

The only things important in ST is that you get your work in and don't have a catastrophic injury...
__________________
<a href=http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=3256 target=_blank>http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/v...achmentid=3256</a>

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM
WhiteSox5187 WhiteSox5187 is offline
Winner 2016 WSI Preseason Prediction Contest
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Southside
Posts: 16,458
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I guess it's never to early to remind people of things like this:

Lucas Giolito 2019 ST Stats: 18.1 IP, 8.84 ERA, 1.91 WHIP
Cody Bellinger 2019 ST Stats: .226/.306/.528
Byron Buxton 2019 ST Stats: .410/.455/.795

Tampa Bay 2019 ST Record: 13- 17
San Diego 2019 ST Record: 18- 11
LA Dodgers 2019 ST Record: 14- 15
Kansas City 2019 ST Record: 18- 12

The only things important in ST is that you get your work in and don't have a catastrophic injury...
Wow. I didn't know Giolito had such a disastrous spring last year, I'm a bit surprised he made the rotation because as I recall he was on a VERY short leash when the season started. I do remember that he had a lights out spring training in 2018 and that didn't turn out well.
__________________

Go Sox!!!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Domeshot17 Domeshot17 is online now
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 12,860
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Wow. I didn't know Giolito had such a disastrous spring last year, I'm a bit surprised he made the rotation because as I recall he was on a VERY short leash when the season started. I do remember that he had a lights out spring training in 2018 and that didn't turn out well.
Spring is not about the stats.

Coop may tell him one game "You are throwing all fastballs in every count, and today is just about location and spots and not results" and he goes out and hits every spot and gets shelled because he is only throwing fastballs.

This is what the Spring is for, work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:41 AM
voodoochile's Avatar
voodoochile voodoochile is offline
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 59,137
Blog Entries: 9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
Wow. I didn't know Giolito had such a disastrous spring last year, I'm a bit surprised he made the rotation because as I recall he was on a VERY short leash when the season started. I do remember that he had a lights out spring training in 2018 and that didn't turn out well.
Several of us were urging caution on his numbers in ST because there's always a chance the guy is working on something specific. The breakdown of the pitch counts confirmed that as he went whole appearances while throwing 90% changeups in some of them and very few fastballs over all. Once he actually started mixing pitches to try and get players out the results came quickly.

ST is for practice, not for results.
__________________

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,975
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by domeshot17 View Post
spring is not about the stats.

Coop may tell him one game "you are throwing all fastballs in every count, and today is just about location and spots and not results" and he goes out and hits every spot and gets shelled because he is only throwing fastballs.

This is what the spring is for, work.
+1
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-13-2020, 11:59 AM
rdivaldi rdivaldi is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Chicago - Mayfair
Posts: 4,975
Default

Shohei Ohtani 2018: .125/.222/.125

How many fantasy managers dropped him off their lists after that performance? If he hadn't gotten injured, he would have hit 35+ HR and 100+ RBI.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 PM
kittle42 kittle42 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lakeview
Posts: 23,361
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I guess it's never to early to remind people of things like this:

Lucas Giolito 2019 ST Stats: 18.1 IP, 8.84 ERA, 1.91 WHIP
Cody Bellinger 2019 ST Stats: .226/.306/.528
Byron Buxton 2019 ST Stats: .410/.455/.795

Tampa Bay 2019 ST Record: 13- 17
San Diego 2019 ST Record: 18- 11
LA Dodgers 2019 ST Record: 14- 15
Kansas City 2019 ST Record: 18- 12

The only things important in ST is that you get your work in and don't have a catastrophic injury...
Please pin this post somewhere. PLEASE!
__________________
Ridiculousness across all sports:

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:11 PM
DumpJerry's Avatar
DumpJerry DumpJerry is offline
Tom Feargal Hagen
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The hearts and minds of Sox fans on 10-26-05
Posts: 28,521
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
I guess it's never to early to remind people of things like this:

Lucas Giolito 2019 ST Stats: 18.1 IP, 8.84 ERA, 1.91 WHIP
Cody Bellinger 2019 ST Stats: .226/.306/.528
Byron Buxton 2019 ST Stats: .410/.455/.795

Tampa Bay 2019 ST Record: 13- 17
San Diego 2019 ST Record: 18- 11
LA Dodgers 2019 ST Record: 14- 15
Kansas City 2019 ST Record: 18- 12

The only things important in ST is that you get your work in and don't have a catastrophic injury...
Different sport, but the 1985 Bears were 0-4 in the pre-season. Oh, and two stars were holdouts all season long. Glad that season is over...
__________________


2020....2020.....2020....2020....2020.....
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:27 PM
blurry blurry is offline
WSI Personality
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochile View Post
Several of us were urging caution on his numbers in ST because there's always a chance the guy is working on something specific. The breakdown of the pitch counts confirmed that as he went whole appearances while throwing 90% changeups in some of them and very few fastballs over all. Once he actually started mixing pitches to try and get players out the results came quickly.

ST is for practice, not for results.
I wonder if this is different for fringe players just trying to make the team rather than getting sent down to the minors.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 02-13-2020, 12:30 PM
ChiSoxNationPres ChiSoxNationPres is offline
WSI Church Elder
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,651
Default

I agree that overall ST results are meaningless, though there are occasions that you can tell that a player has figured it out finally or made significant adjustments. Tim Anderson is an example of that. You could tell from ST last year he was a different player.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 02-13-2020, 05:09 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,906
Default

Rutherford reportedly put on ~15 lbs of muscle. That's something he needed. He was a guy who clearly needed to fill out his frame last ST.
__________________
People are bastard coated bastards with bastard filling
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 02-13-2020, 08:34 PM
Hitmen77 Hitmen77 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 13,616
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Rutherford reportedly put on ~15 lbs of muscle. That's something he needed. He was a guy who clearly needed to fill out his frame last ST.
Yeah, I have to remind myself that he's still only 22 even though it seems like he's been a prospect forever (drafted by Yankees out of high school).

Does the added muscle mean that he'll certainly live up to his former top 100 billing? Of course no one is suggesting that. But, it's still to early to write him off, too. Hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 02-13-2020, 09:02 PM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,906
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Yeah, I have to remind myself that he's still only 22 even though it seems like he's been a prospect forever (drafted by Yankees out of high school).

Does the added muscle mean that he'll certainly live up to his former top 100 billing? Of course no one is suggesting that. But, it's still to early to write him off, too. Hopefully he takes a big step forward this year.
He was such a beanpole, I canít imagine it wonít help him.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 AM
KRS1 KRS1 is offline
WSI Prelate
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,906
Default

Funny...

https://mobile.twitter.com/Reds/stat...364737/photo/1
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.




Design by: Michelle

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site-specific editorial/photos Copyright ©2001 - 2008 White Sox Interactive. All rights reserved.