White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2020, 07:12 PM
WSI High Priest

There are quite a few players who are very very angry about this, so I would not be surprised if there were a few drillings that happen during the season. Personally, I don't think there should be a league wide campaign, but some players might want to handle it the rough way.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:50 PM
WSI High Priest

I resisted making this pedantic point, but since other people have, yes, Houston is the 4th largest city in America and significantly larger than Boston. In fact Houston will be larger than Chicago soon.

But the guy's point was that the Red Sox are the more popular team with the larger fanbase and that's absolutely right. Red Sox dominate a big region of the country and have fans all over the country who aren't from New England.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-13-2020, 08:16 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

I will not be satisfied until all of the following teams are punished:

Houston
Boston
Yankees
Twins
Indians
Angels
Rays
Jays
Cubs
Cardinals
Nationals
Braves
Phillies
Dodgers
Giants
Padres
Diamondbacks
Nippon Ham Fighters
St. Louis Blues
Manchester United
Old 02-13-2020, 08:17 PM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
There are quite a few players who are very very angry about this, so I would not be surprised if there were a few drillings that happen during the season. Personally, I don't think there should be a league wide campaign, but some players might want to handle it the rough way.
You better believe umpires are going to warn the Astros' opponents before every series, and whoever falls out of line is getting the heave ho immediately. If the umpires won't do it themselves, MLB will make sure they enforce it.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:43 PM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
The population of Houston proper and the Houston metro area dwarfs that of Boston proper and the Boston metro area. Houston cannot be characterized as a "mid-market team" by any reasonable metric. I think Boston will still pay a price (e.g. loss of draft choices and a fine), but if they don't, it won't be because they are a bigger market team than Houston is.
Yeah Houston is 4th biggest city in the USA at 2.3+ M and almost 7M metropolitan area.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...
Old 02-13-2020, 10:48 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxSpeed22 View Post
There are always going to be a select few who will subscribe to this way of handling things but MLB did itself no favors by not coming down harder on the Astros. Now players are going to think the only way to make players pay is to police themselves.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 PM
WSI Prelate

Not saying I want to see someone ear-holed, but I would have zero moral qualms with watching the Astros in a league wide bean ball tour to start their season.

Seriously, they got off completely unpunished and I never mind the players policing themselves when it is clear the powers that be will not do their job.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:00 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
I resisted making this pedantic point, but since other people have, yes, Houston is the 4th largest city in America and significantly larger than Boston. In fact Houston will be larger than Chicago soon.

But the guy's point was that the Red Sox are the more popular team with the larger fanbase and that's absolutely right. Red Sox dominate a big region of the country and have fans all over the country who aren't from New England.
Appreciate the concurrence from you and others. In case everyone here isn't bored with it, last year Forbes said the average MLB team value is $1.78 billion and pegged Houston at $1.775 billion.

But in fairness (and before someone else points it out!), the Forbes bar chart shows Houston tenth among 30 teams, so I'll concede they're solidly upper-middle market. I'd only add that a major market team probably wouldn't have been so readily sacrificed to the AL when Selig was hell-bent on getting the Brewers into the NL. For all that, Milwaukee is still 24th in team value.

And I stand by my point that Houston's punishment might've been worse if not for the can of worms it might — and might still — open for East Coast chauvinists. As much coverage as yesterday's Astros media debacle generated, imagine the clamor if it had instead been Boston (third at $3.2 billion). MLB is praying this blows over fast.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Athletic article on Keuchel and the sign stealing stuff with an interesting point from Marshall about how facing players who know what's coming is far worse than facing a guy on steroids and how some players got sent down or DFA after facing the Astros. It's been brought up before but what they did cost players money. A LOT of money and confidence and chances, etc.

https://theathletic.com/1606427/2020...the-white-sox/
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM
WSI Church Elder

The obvious point -- that some players' careers were harmed -- has been ignored by MLB and MLBPA. The league and the union preferred to protect those who are safely in the majors. Plenty of disgrace to go around, but the Houston Asterisks will be the focus as they travel from ballpark to ballpark.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:15 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingo10 View Post
There are always going to be a select few who will subscribe to this way of handling things but MLB did itself no favors by not coming down harder on the Astros. Now players are going to think the only way to make players pay is to police themselves.
Imagine a pitcher getting a suspension for beaning Altuve. Imagine the firestorm that will come from a pitcher getting a suspension for a plunking while Altuve got literally zero punishment for taking part in a systematic cheating.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:27 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post
Not saying I want to see someone ear-holed, but I would have zero moral qualms with watching the Astros in a league wide bean ball tour to start their season.

Seriously, they got off completely unpunished and I never mind the players policing themselves when it is clear the powers that be will not do their job.
IMO this should happen in ST, don't do it in the regular season where you risk your pitchers getting suspending and losing games because of it.

Hit them their first couple of AB's in Spring to send a message and move on.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:15 PM
WSI High Priest

Betcha a lemon cookie that there will be no beanings (we're talking head shots) or next to none.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:26 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS1 View Post

I would, because it implies that everyone else in the league wasn't cheating or trying to gain a competitive advantage over their opponents which we all know is not true. What the Astros did sucks and hopefully won't happen again. But I am not naive enough to believe that it was only the Astros organization who were cheating.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:00 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
I would, because it implies that everyone else in the league wasn't cheating or trying to gain a competitive advantage over their opponents which we all know is not true. What the Astros did sucks and hopefully won't happen again. But I am not naive enough to believe that it was only the Astros organization who were cheating.
Agreed. The original article that exposed the Astros says that very thing, multiple times in the story. At some point I hope some more comes out. Boston of course is under investigation. The Yankees were caught already, and Beltran's involvement hanging over them. The Dodgers were accused of using video to steal signs by the Brewers in the 2018 postseason, and so on...

I hope more does come out, going to be fun munching popcorn and watching the fireworks, particularly if some of these teams that are howling the loudest end up being involved as well.

I just hope the Sox steer clear of any foolishness.