Sox Clubhouse
 Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2019, 11:33 AM
WSI Regular

Default *Official* 6/15/19 and 6/16/19 Sox Lose to Bronx Bombers (But Split Series) Postgamer

Noticed that there were no game threads for this defeat.

Although both teams had the exact same number of hits, the Yankees had 7 walks while the White Sox had none. What this proves is the importance of getting walks, particularly on a power hitting team such as this. All the power hitting you have does you no good if you don't have anyone on base to drive them in.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:31 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by insp View Post

Although both teams had the exact same number of hits, the Yankees had 7 walks while the White Sox had none. What this proves is the importance of getting walks, particularly on a power hitting team such as this. All the power hitting you have does you no good if you don't have anyone on base to drive them in.
We were at the game. It made me crazy to watch all the strikeouts, especially against the Yankees. Man, I hate losing to the Yankees. Reynoldo Lopez got rattled, slowed w-a-y-y down, and gave up even more. The bullpen couldn't do it -- Banuelos even walked in a run. And then Phil Cuzzi threw out Castillo and Renteria because they pointed out his obvious shortcomings.

Nuts.

Enough rant. I share Jean Shepherd's bone-deep dislike of the Yankees. He says it better than I can:

Old 06-16-2019, 04:47 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

Getting walks has more to do with the pitcher throwing strikes. The Yankees are less to be congratulated for walking than the White Sox pitchers are to be blamed for walking them. Earlier in the series, the White Sox got seven walks against the Yankees two, but only one of the White Sox walks scored.

The White Sox struck out 16 times Saturday. The Yankees struck out only seven and that had a lot to do with the game as well. Not striking out, putting the ball in play when pitchers is something hitters have some control over when a pitcher is throwing strikes. It's even possible that waiting for the pitcher to throw balls was partly responsible for a couple of the strikeouts.

Hitting is about putting the ball in play, and occasionally out of play in fair territory. Pitching is about throwing strikes, keeping the hitter off strike, messing with his timing, and limiting solid contract.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:03 PM
WSI Guru

Split the series, which isn't bad considering the SP situation.
Old 06-16-2019, 06:30 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebman View Post
Nuts.

Enough rant. I share Jean Shepherd's bone-deep dislike of the Yankees. He says it better than I can:

Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Tom Feargal Hagen

We split a four game series with a team that is 15 games over .500. The horrors.

The Sox should be proud of this series, they played them well in the first two games. If the Ump gave Despaigne the correct third strike call in the Third, five runs would not have scored that inning.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:08 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post
We split a four game series with a team that is 15 games over .500. The horrors.

The Sox should be proud of this series, they played them well in the first two games. If the Ump gave Despaigne the correct third strike call in the Third, five runs would not have scored that inning.
Yep, he blew at least two pitches which led to the runs.

On a scale of importance, the incompetence of ML umpires is real low, but it still annoys me when I see it.

Maybe they should rely more on those electronic boxes somehow.

It was still good to see the Sox take 2 of 4 from the Yankees.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Bummer and Bummer
Old 06-16-2019, 09:36 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpJerry View Post

The underlying issue of greater concern is that we are in a situation where a guy like Despaigne is starting games. Itís Giolito and hope for four days of rain.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:02 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
The underlying issue of greater concern is that we are in a situation where a guy like Despaigne is starting games. Itís Giolito and hope for four days of rain.
Sending beer league guys out to face the Yankees. Shows we're not yet serious. That why we shouldn't worry about it. The real pitchers will be here soon enough. Patience.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
Sending beer league guys out to face the Yankees. Shows we're not yet serious. That why we shouldn't worry about it. The real pitchers will be here soon enough. Patience.

The real pitchers might end up a lot closer to Lopez and/or Nova than Giolito. Cease has an ERA in excess of 4 for Charlotte, and the pitchers coming off of surgeries haven't shown what they are post-surgery. It's true that Giolito had an ERA over 4 while pitching for Charlotte, and last year in 32 starts his ERA topped 6 for the Sox. But that doesn't mean prospects with major league and minor league numbers similar to Giolito in 2017 and 2018 are on course to have a Giolito 2019.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:18 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavko View Post
I have plenty of patience. I thought this process was going to take three or four seasons of absolute bottom-feeder baseball, but it looks like it may be done sooner than that. However, that does not mean that this team should ignore chances to acquire more youth at this yearís trade deadline just to make the teamís chances in 2020 a little bit better.

2020 is going to be another year of working in more kids and letting them take their lumps at the big league level. 2020 is going to be a year of rehab for the pitchers who went under the knife. Gaining ground with the kids is far more important than trying to compete.

I just want this team to be realistic about where it is at in 2019 and where it will be in 2020. Previous opportunities to sell were squandered at several trade deadlines in the past, and I hope that situation doesnít repeat itself.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:20 AM
WSI Regular

The problem is that during the past 2 defeats, Sox hitters repeatedly had 2 or 3 balls but failed to follow through to get the walk. If you have any doubts that walks are important, consider that the Yankees Shortstop Torres had 3 Walks, got zero hits and yet scored 3 Runs. The Yanks got 13 Walks the past 2 games while the Sox only got 2.

The team that walks is also the team that wins most of the time.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:17 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
I have plenty of patience. I thought this process was going to take three or four seasons of absolute bottom-feeder baseball, but it looks like it may be done sooner than that. However, that does not mean that this team should ignore chances to acquire more youth at this year’s trade deadline just to make the team’s chances in 2020 a little bit better.

2020 is going to be another year of working in more kids and letting them take their lumps at the big league level. 2020 is going to be a year of rehab for the pitchers who went under the knife. Gaining ground with the kids is far more important than trying to compete.

I just want this team to be realistic about where it is at in 2019 and where it will be in 2020. Previous opportunities to sell were squandered at several trade deadlines in the past, and I hope that situation doesn’t repeat itself.
The White Sox staff is near the top in walks, WHIP and at the near the bottom in strikeout. When do the coaches take some of the rap?

Quote:
The problem is that during the past 2 defeats, Sox hitters repeatedly had 2 or 3 balls but failed to follow through to get the walk. If you have any doubts that walks are important, consider that the Yankees Shortstop Torres had 3 Walks, got zero hits and yet scored 3 Runs. The Yanks got 13 Walks the past 2 games while the Sox only got 2.

The team that walks is also the team that wins most of the time.
Each at bat has to be looked at individually to see what pitches were hittable. Were the hittable not swung at? Was a swing taken resulting in no contact? Did the hitter offer at pitches out of the strike zone?

Who knows? I don't care enough to find out.

Do you want to win more games? Improve your starting staff.
ďThere were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. Georgeís great strength was he didnít overcoach. Thereís no place for panic on the mound.Ē - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger ďArms and the man,Ē Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 06-17-2019, 10:24 AM
WSI High Priest

During Game 3 (Reynaldo vs the Yankees bullpen) I think the first 8 outs recorded by Yankees pitching was via strikeouts. Remarkable. For a while, it looked like Kerry Wood would be outdone by the Yankees bullpen that day.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides