Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 11:46 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFish View Post
Crying over the spilled Tatis milk is the most unproductive thing I've seen on WSI in my many years here. It is literally less productive than shoota going back and editing Joe Crede's stats to take away home runs he deemed "cheap", which was previously the most unproductive thing I've seen on WSI.
honestly I think shoota has got that beat with that one.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:53 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesoxfan1986 View Post
Been seeing chatter on twitter by prospect guys raving about Robert, saying he's nearly ready now. Could be #1 by midseason, and is a true 5 tool talent. Based on what prospect guys are saying, I think Robert starting at Birmingham isn't out of the question.
Dude was putting up similar numbers at age 18 that Abreu was putting up at 23, 24. Add the speed and defense, along with vastly superior plate disciipline,this guy is the best prospect we've got no doubt about it in my mind. Probably the best rospect the Sox have ever had. If he isnt up before the end of August I'll eat my hat.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:18 AM
WSI Church Elder

The Shields trade reminds me of the story of the night watchman from the Seven Valleys, the Ba'hai book. A man curses a night watchman who follows him throughout the night. "Damn that dirty dog, won't give me any peace" he would say. He tries to evade his oppressor ducking into alleys and going over walls, until he happens into a garden in which he finds his long lost love. He realizes without his tormenter he wouldn't have recovered his lover, and that what in appearance was awful, in substance was a blessing. In the end he says god bless that good watchman.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:29 AM
WSI Guru

Even if Tatis Jr. turns out to be a bust, the Shields move was a bad one for the Sox.

I think Hahn has a pretty long leash with the Sox, but deals such as that have gotten GMs fired in the past.

It was a horrible, horrible trade, and hopefully a younger pitcher will take Shields' job from him at some point this season. All we can hope for at this point. What's done is done.

R
ead my baseball blog: http://thebaseballkid98.blogspot.com/

Old 03-05-2018, 12:39 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillensdisciple View Post
Can we wait until he plays in the bigs before we call him the GOAT?
Even if he has a mediocre major league career it will still tilt the balance towards the Padres given that Shields was D.O.A.

And I never said Tatis will be a great player, GOAT or Hall of Famer. I'm simply saying it was a ridiculous deal by the Sox since Shields was a shell of himself to start with.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:43 AM
WSI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
Dude was putting up similar numbers at age 18 that Abreu was putting up at 23, 24. Add the speed and defense, along with vastly superior plate disciipline,this guy is the best prospect we've got no doubt about it in my mind. Probably the best rospect the Sox have ever had. If he isnt up before the end of August I'll eat my hat.
In my opinion the best prospect is Jimenez. I don't think Robert is going to be rushed, It'll be 2019 at the earliest before you see him in as Sox major league uniform.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:49 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB98 View Post
It was a horrible, horrible trade, and hopefully a younger pitcher will take Shields' job from him at some point this season. All we can hope for at this point. What's done is done.
Are we allowed to hope that, having further employed his 3/4 arm angle, along with some smoke and mirrors, Shields fools enough hitters through June to be packaged with a reliever to a contender for a prospect?
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:10 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVulture View Post
The Shields trade reminds me of the story of the night watchman from the Seven Valleys, the Ba'hai book. A man curses a night watchman who follows him throughout the night. "Damn that dirty dog, won't give me any peace" he would say. He tries to evade his oppressor ducking into alleys and going over walls, until he happens into a garden in which he finds his long lost love. He realizes without his tormenter he wouldn't have recovered his lover, and that what in appearance was awful, in substance was a blessing. In the end he says god bless that good watchman.
One of the reasons I still love WSI- a discussion about the Tatis/Shields trade yields a quote like this on a Monday morning.
Anderson, Fulmer, Giolito, Lopez, Moncada
Players that might be or could have trade value:
Abreu, Bummer, Davidson, Fry, A. Garcia, Jones, Sanchez
Old 03-05-2018, 07:23 AM
WSI Regular

Old 03-05-2018, 07:25 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBradley72 View Post
One of the reasons I still love WSI- a discussion about the Tatis/Shields trade yields a quote like this on a Monday morning.
I find it hilarious that the White Sox prospect that some people seem to be the most excited about is the one that was traded away. It's worse on Facebook. If the team was in the same shape as they were in 2015-16, I could understand the sackcloth-and-ashes routine, but they aren't.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know Jimenez, Moncada, Basabe and Co. are all unproven. So is Tatis.
Old 03-05-2018, 07:53 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frater Perdurabo View Post
Are we allowed to hope that, having further employed his 3/4 arm angle, along with some smoke and mirrors, Shields fools enough hitters through June to be packaged with a reliever to a contender for a prospect?
Yes. The Padres traded Trae Turner for, essentially Will Myers (who, while better than Shields, is an average player). But they made up for it.
Hahn has shown he can get good young players, even before this tear-down. Hopefully one of Delmonico/Sanchez/Davidson/Cordell/Engel/Leury, etc. turns out to be a stud and a couple of others prove to be 25 man roster worthy.
But it's building a team where he has struggled.

Last edited by Tragg; 03-05-2018 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:25 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I find it hilarious that the White Sox prospect that some people seem to be the most excited about is the one that was traded away. It's worse on Facebook. If the team was in the same shape as they were in 2015-16, I could understand the sackcloth-and-ashes routine, but they aren't.

And before anyone says it, yes, I know Jimenez, Moncada, Basabe and Co. are all unproven. So is Tatis.
Hahn deserves all the criticism coming his way for trading Tatis Jr.- taking on half of Shields' contract + E. Johnson was all that should have been required to get Shields from the Padres.

It was a huge mistake....and does not merit any rationalizing or defending.

But....he also gets credit for stealing 3 high quality prospects for Adam Eaton and a very nice return for Quintana- so I still have a decent level of confidence in Hahn (pending his draft choices from the last few years actually contributing)- but every GM has their "worst" trade- and this one is his.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
Yes. The Padres traded Trae Turner for, essentially Will Myers (who, while better than Shields, is an average player). But they made up for it.
Hahn has shown he can get good young players, even before this tear-down. Hopefully one of Delmonico/Sanchez/Davidson/Cordell/Engel/Leury, etc. turns out to be a stud and a couple of others prove to be 25 man roster worthy.
But it's building a team where he has struggled.
It's still too early to declare winners and losers in any of the deals that Hahn made, including Shields/Tatis Jr. It certainly looks bad at the moment but Tatis Jr hasn't done anything at the MLB level (yet). Maybe Shields will start out strong and the Sox can flip him at the trade deadline for a player that ultimately outproduces Tatis Jr. Or, maybe Moncada doesn't turn into a franchise cornerstone and is just a serviceable 2nd baseman and Luis Basabe puts it all together and becomes the crown jewel of the Sale trade. Not likely, but he's still only 21.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJohn View Post
I find it hilarious that the White Sox prospect that some people seem to be the most excited about is the one that was traded away. It's worse on Facebook.
If you're looking for intelligent, sincere or even coherent talk about sports or pretty much anything on Facebook, you're looking in the wrong place....

March 16, 2005 - Another happy Sox fan joins the party!
July 6, 2012 - 7 years later he's still part of it...
Old 03-05-2018, 10:58 AM
WSI Prelate

I look forward to the day that I donít have to see Fernando Tatis in the Clubhosue discussion section.

Greatest Arsenal goal I have ever witnessed. Chills to this day watching it.
Closed Thread