White Sox Interactive Forums
Talking Baseball

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Talking Baseball
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Co-Winner WSI 2016 NFL Pick'em contest

Nats are in next year or bust mode I guess. Harper and Murphy will be UFA and Rendon will have one more year. The backloaded parts of Scherzer and Strasburg’s contracts kick in and those 2 alone will be making almost $76 million.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:39 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX View Post
Nats are in next year or bust mode I guess. Harper and Murphy will be UFA and Rendon will have one more year. The backloaded parts of Scherzer and Strasburg’s contracts kick in and those 2 alone will be making almost $76 million.
In Dusty they trustied for a little too long.

(1) "You have no valid opinion because you never played the game."
(2) "Stats are irrelevant. This guy just doesn't know how to win."
Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Nats owner is buddy-buddy with Scott Boras. Nats are probably trying to help Boras out by bidding up the price on Arrieta and have no intention of signing him. They have allegedly done this with Boras clients before.

Lynn is more likely as a Nats SP signing. More likely, the Nats stand pat because their GM does not believe in going "all out" for any one particular year.
"Hope...may be indulged in by those who have abundant resources...but its nature is to be extravagant, and those who go so far as to stake their all upon the venture see it in its true colors only when they are ruined."
-- Thucydides
Old 02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYourSuit View Post
2020 they will have Darvish, Lester and Heyward eating up about $65 million in payroll when all of their young players will be in arbitration years looking for long term deals.

At the very least, this takes them out of the Harper/Machado craziness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
Glad they signed him. Now we can stop all this nonsense about them signing Bryce Harper. They are out of $$$ and are out of top prospects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSox5187 View Post
The Cubs have $140M tied up in ten players going into next off-season; Bryant, Hendricks and Russell will all be arbitration eligible too. I don't see anyway they can do that and stay under the luxury tax threshold.
I hope you guys are right. Seems like I've heard this sort of doom talk before about the Cubs being unable to afford top-of-the-line free agents only to have it all work out for the North Siders in the end.

The $$$ they have committed for 2019 plus whatever they pay those arb eligible guys is interesting to note, though.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 PM
WSI Guru

"Yu Darvish signing limits free-agent flexibility for Cubs next offseason."

Headline in Tribune for Mark "Gonzo" Gonzales' story.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:07 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip Man 1 View Post
"Yu Darvish signing limits free-agent flexibility for Cubs next offseason."

Headline in Tribune for Mark "Gonzo" Gonzales' story.
I sure hope you're correct.
“There were a few hard rules, but everybody was unique, and he understood that. George’s great strength was he didn’t overcoach. There’s no place for panic on the mound.” - Jim Palmer on George Bamberger “Arms and the man,” Sports Illustrated, April 19, 2004
Old 02-14-2018, 08:32 AM
WSI Regular

They're only limited if their ownership want to stay below the luxury tax. The are a very wealthy team right now. Though, I don't see any of the big FA's going to them next offseason.

Harper will probably resign with the Nationals. He's the face of their franchise and I honestly don't see them letting him walk. But if he does, I'd expect a team like the Phillies to go for broke to snag him. Philly is a young team with a ton of payroll flexibility.

Machado wouldn't fit into their plans as they already have Bryant at 3B. But if Machado wants to move to SS, maybe they'd consider moving Addison Russell, though he is only 24 and was worth 2.4 bWAR in only 110 games. But if anyone gets Machado, I want it to be us outbidding the Yankees.

Kershaw is not leaving the Dodgers. I can't see it happening.

They could look at bullplen help, but who wouldn't?
Old 02-14-2018, 08:39 AM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
How do you give a guy $126M on February 10th, a week before Spring Training starts? That should tell you if it was a fiscally sound decision. The Cubs got no deal on this, but I don't see anyone taking them to task in the media. You give a guy $150M (with incentives) during the bidding war in early December, not a week before Spring Training though. Not my money, but this has potential to blow up.
Sully at the Trib takes them to task today......just kidding! Here's the Cub lover's fluff piece about the wonderful serendipity of the Cubs and Darvish coming together to get a deal done:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...213-story.html
Old 02-14-2018, 08:42 AM
WSI Regular

There's nothing to take them to task on because that's a good deal for Yu Darvish, and many people in the industry agree.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
There's nothing to take them to task on because that's a good deal for Yu Darvish, and many people in the industry agree.
For an oft-injured pitcher on the wrong side of 30 who is hasn’t pitched 200 innings since 2013 (the only season he has done so)?
"I have the ultimate respect for White Sox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Red Sox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country." Jim Caple, ESPN (January 12, 2011)

"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."George Orwell
Old 02-16-2018, 06:17 PM
WSI Guru

Anibal Sanchez signs with the Twins. One year, 2.5 million.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 PM
WSI Church Elder

Not bad for a pitcher who is definitely not close to what he used to be. I’m sure he’s thanking his lucky stars he can still find a team desperate for pitching.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 PM

Twins get Odorizzi from the Rays for a SS prospect.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:24 PM

Hosmer signs with the Padres. Reportedly 8 years, with an opt out after 5. No word on money.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:13 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrX
Hosmer signs with the Padres. Reportedly 8 years, with an opt out after 5. No word on money.
$20 million per year for the first five years, $13 million per year for the remaining three years, $5 million signing bonus. $144 million total.