Soxogram: 
GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2004, 03:19 PM
WSI Regular

Default All-Star Performer

What stellar performance today from our All-Star! He lit up the Halos only allowing 8 ers in a solid 5 1/3 inning! I wouldn't be surprised if he started the All-Star Game for the AL after this performance!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:20 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanisgod
What stellar performance today from our All-Star! He lit up the Halos only allowing 8 ers in a solid 5 1/3 inning! I wouldn't be surprised if he started the All-Star Game for the AL after this performance!
Not Teal. TEAL. Use Teal. We can actually read it.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartmanisgod
Believe it or not, I expect Torre to come up with a stupid excuse to give Esteban the start. I can just hear him now...

"It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, but I feel good about our chances with Loaiza taking the mound. I thought a lot about starting Mulder, but he holds his fork funny when he eats, and I just didn't think that warranted giving him the start. Loaiza's the one I'm going with."
Old 07-08-2004, 03:22 PM
WSI Regular

that's solid alright! awesome job esteban!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:25 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggliofan10
that's solid alright! awesome job esteban!
Amen brother!!Go represent at the ASG Tuesday!!!!
Old 07-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKMeibalane
Believe it or not, I expect Torre to come up with a stupid excuse to give Esteban the start. I can just hear him now...

"It was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, but I feel good about our chances with Loaiza taking the mound. I thought a lot about starting Mulder, but he holds his fork funny when he eats, and I just didn't think that warranted giving him the start. Loaiza's the one I'm going with."
The Sox are going to look so bad when the players are introduced- their lone rep will have an ERA around 5. Usually that's the lone representative from a team 15 games under .500. Of course, the way things are going.....
Old 07-08-2004, 03:29 PM
WSI Regular

hopefully esteban doesn't make us a laughing stock at the as game
Old 07-08-2004, 04:01 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOXSINCE'70
Amen brother!!Go represent at the ASG Tuesday!!!!
Now how do you expect us to read that? Use TEAL. Or use a different color that's at least legible. This is not readable. This is. So is this. And this. And all of these.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:44 PM
WSI Regular

Will the real Esteban Loaiza please stand up?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:03 AM
WSI Church Elder

I believe he has been standing up his entire career except for 2003. During his career he was always a great April/May pitcher and then stunk up the rest of the year. Does that sound familiar?
Old 07-09-2004, 11:10 AM
WSI Prelate

I don't care much about the sox reps at the all-star game. As long as the AL wins so that we have home field in the World Series - that's all I want!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:22 AM
WSI Regular

Color usage aside...this does actually bring up a good question. So much speculation and discussion has occurred around Maggs' contract and impending free agency. But I haven't heard a lot of discussion about Loaiza's situation. I think earlier in the season, most people here would have been strongly in favor of resigning him. However after some of his recent performances, it appears more and more that 2003 was a fluke. I of course, could be wrong about this and being at the ASG might just propel him into a second half that leaves 2003 in the dust. But if it doesn't, what should the Sox do about his contract? Is there any value in trading him now? Do we let him walk and try and sign another FA pitcher (possibly Clement?)...who else will be available?

Old 07-09-2004, 11:31 AM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfish
Now how do you expect us to read that? Use TEAL. Or use a different color that's at least legible. This is not readable. This is. So is this. And this. And all of these.
if you highlight that color you can read it
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnahorodny
Color usage aside...this does actually bring up a good question. So much speculation and discussion has occurred around Maggs' contract and impending free agency. But I haven't heard a lot of discussion about Loaiza's situation. I think earlier in the season, most people here would have been strongly in favor of resigning him. However after some of his recent performances, it appears more and more that 2003 was a fluke. I of course, could be wrong about this and being at the ASG might just propel him into a second half that leaves 2003 in the dust. But if it doesn't, what should the Sox do about his contract? Is there any value in trading him now? Do we let him walk and try and sign another FA pitcher (possibly Clement?)...who else will be available?

I have thought about this at length. At his current pace, going like 15-10 with a mid 4 ERA could scare the Sox off about a big deal. Esteban is getting up there, so I am sure he is going to want some $$$ and security/years when he does sign, considering how cheap and insecure his signing was with the Sox.

With the lack of quality pitching on the FA market, I could see a team overspending and outbidding the Sox with $$$ and years. Let's hope he gives the Sox a "discount" for giving him a second chance.

Scott Podsednik
"...he could be a nice bench player...he's going to do quite well in helping Minnesota win another AL Central crown."
Freddy Garcia
"Garcia is not a bad pitcher, but he's not much better than an average one."
Jon Garland
"The White Sox take pride in noting that Jon Garland is now their fifth starter, which obscures the fact that he pitches like a fifth starter."
Old 07-09-2004, 12:04 PM
WSI Guru

According to Loazia the two sides talked briefly in spring training but if I remember correctly it was Loazia himself who said he wanted to wait and see what might be on the table.

Like with the 2000 Sox, last year was a fluke for Esteban, however that doesn't mean he's not a solid middle of the rotation guy. Nothing wrong with that...just don't expect him to win 20 games.

If he has a mediocre year it could give the Sox a better chance to re-sign him but as the previous poster mentioned ANY type of solid pitching is at a premium today so I'd guess a team will give him a very good deal and the Sox will yet again, be looking to fill a rotation hole.

Lip