GO SOX! DSNB!

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight #24 View Post
Or, in the wet/pipe dream scenario, sign Machado (3B) and Harper, and offer the Mets Robert and Dunning for DeGrom.
Mets fans would rightfully riot if that happened. Eloy + Robert or Eloy + Dunning & another prospect would be the start for DeGrom. He's coming off a historically dominant season and he's cheap from a salary perspective.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:49 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
I assume AZ's asking price would go down if the Sox said they'd take on most of that contract. He's only signed through 2021 and he's still a pitcher capable of 4-5 bWAR per year. I'd be very tempted if I'm the Sox. It's a lot of upfront, but you'd be giving up less in terms of prospects and it would help solidify the rotation for when the contention window (hopefully) opens.
I'd only go after Greinke IF the sox where to sign Harper, Machado, or both. If we don't land either of those guys, then Greinke is just a waste.

Plus he does have a limited no trade clause, likely the White Sox are on his list that he would have to approve to be dealt to.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman
Happ is probably the best pitcher in that bunch, sans Greinke. But Greinke's contract is a beast.
He is also going to get paid the most, sans Greinke. I would rather go with a cheaper short-term option—or go whole-hog on Greinke—than pay full sticker price on Happ.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:06 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
offer the Mets Robert and Dunning for DeGrom.
1) That's probably not nearly enough for DeGrom
2) I don't think the Sox should start dealing any of their top prospects yet. Way too early for that. Signing Harper and/or Machado, that's a different story altogether.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:19 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry
I assume AZ's asking price would go down if the Sox said they'd take on most of that contract. He's only signed through 2021 and he's still a pitcher capable of 4-5 bWAR per year. I'd be very tempted if I'm the Sox. It's a lot of upfront, but you'd be giving up less in terms of prospects and it would help solidify the rotation for when the contention window (hopefully) opens.
I would rather pay Greinke $32 million per year over three years than pay Happ $20 million per year over three years. Greinke is a year younger, has been eclipsing Happ by about 1.5-2 bWAR per season, and provides one of the elite usage rates in all of baseball.
Old 11-13-2018, 01:35 PM
Co-Winner WSI 2018 NFL Pick'em Contest

https://twitter.com/Feinsand/status/1062381985727963136

"According to a source, the White Sox are actively trying to trade Avisail Garcia. There’s a sense within the industry that Chicago will non-tender Garcia if they’re unable to deal him."

Probably a year too late. Can't imagine Avi has much value at all right now
Old 11-13-2018, 02:24 PM
WSI Prelate

NOW they want to trade Avi. Couldn't be bothered in July or last offseason off of a career year. Buy high and sell low is the preferred prescription.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:29 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
NOW they want to trade Avi. Couldn't be bothered in July or last offseason off of a career year. Buy high and sell low is the preferred prescription.
Wasn't there a report that they had a deal lined up to send Avi for Francis Marte from Astros but his knee problems kiboshed it?
Old 11-13-2018, 02:33 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Wasn't there a report that they had a deal lined up to send Avi for Francis Marte from Astros but his knee problems kiboshed it?

Hahn kicked Avi's knee to cause the injury in the first place.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:41 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
They tried to trade him in July and couldn't. And maybe they tried last offseason. Just because it did not happen does not automatically mean there was no effort to try. We're talking about Avi Garcia here. The same Avi most of us declared had a fluke season in 2017. But hey, teams should just be lining up to make offers for these players, right? And when no moves are made we should just automatically assume the FO is a bunch of morons who don't try anything and don't know what they are doing, right?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:17 PM
The Blind Squirrel that finally found an acorn.

If they non tender him and dont replace from outside, its strictly a cheap move.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:51 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobo View Post
They tried to trade him in July and couldn't. And maybe they tried last offseason. Just because it did not happen does not automatically mean there was no effort to try. We're talking about Avi Garcia here. The same Avi most of us declared had a fluke season in 2017. But hey, teams should just be lining up to make offers for these players, right? And when no moves are made we should just automatically assume the FO is a bunch of morons who don't try anything and don't know what they are doing, right?
Well if they wanted to trade a guy whom I think we can all agree had at least some value following 2017 and were unable to complete a trade, it means that they didn't properly gauge his value......which after seeing the result of many of the Sox' trades, shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody
Old 11-13-2018, 05:00 PM
WSI High Priest

Rob Hart‏Verified account @RobHartWBBM

The problem with trading Garcia last year is that everyone - White Sox, fans, other organizations, weren’t sure if he could replicate his 2017. One random good season probably didn’t boost his trade value.

3:54 PM - 13 Nov 2018
Old 11-13-2018, 05:01 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Liked_Manuel View Post
Well if they wanted to trade a guy whom I think we can all agree had at least some value following 2017 and were unable to complete a trade, it means that they didn't properly gauge his value......which after seeing the result of many of the Sox' trades, shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody
What?? He had some value, but a trade wasn't made so that means they didn't properly gauge his value? Is this for real?
Old 11-13-2018, 05:04 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneck
If they non tender him and dont replace from outside, its strictly a cheap move.
Yeah, it would make zero sense to just DFA him after he finally showed the ability to hit for power. Play him and hope that his career-low average and OBP catch back up to his career-high ISO.