Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2019, 10:57 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77 View Post
Excellent summary.

His 2nd half OPS was .855 and he lead the entire league in RBIs and was in the top 10 in HRs. He also played home games in a pitcher's park.

As you said, no one should be penciling him in as a star. But, he did indeed made progress over the course of the season. No reason to write off a player with potential LH power. It'll be interesting to see how he does in AAA next year with the juiced MLB ball.
I was wondering about this... would it be better for his development to leave him at AA to start the year? This year a lot of players put up crazy AAA numbers that aren't likely to translate to the majors. If you're starting him at AAA, I think it would be with a mid-season call up to the major league team in mind. If the plan is to give him another season to develop, start him at AA where the environment is more challenging, and then move him up to AAA mid-season.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:30 PM
WSI Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownTrojan View Post
10 games is a small sample size. A half season is much less so. This is like talking to a child....
I was being facetious about the ten game sample size. There's no call for you to be personally snarky about it. ("like talking to a child")

Gavin Sheets was hitting .246 in Birmingham's first 69 games, their All-Star break. Also Sheets hit .247 for the last month of the season. In actuality, Sheets had a really good six weeks after the ASB. That's how he finished at .267.

If you're looking for potential MLB position players in the White Sox system after Robert and Madrigal, the cupboard is nearly bare. Walker, Sheets and Vaughn appear to be the only position players in the farm system that have a chance of making MLB.

I hope Sheets has a great MLB career, like a left-handed Konerko, but I just don't see him being any better than a marginal Major Leaguer.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:13 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
I was wondering about this... would it be better for his development to leave him at AA to start the year? This year a lot of players put up crazy AAA numbers that aren't likely to translate to the majors. If you're starting him at AAA, I think it would be with a mid-season call up to the major league team in mind. If the plan is to give him another season to develop, start him at AA where the environment is more challenging, and then move him up to AAA mid-season.
Vaughn should be at AA.
Old 09-19-2019, 01:41 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camilo, carry-on View Post
If you're looking for potential MLB position players in the White Sox system after Robert and Madrigal, the cupboard is nearly bare. Walker, Sheets and Vaughn appear to be the only position players in the farm system that have a chance of making MLB.
There are 58 position players aged 20 or younger in the system, several of whom are already on our top 30. That doesn't count Johnabiell Laureano, an 18-year-old CF who slugged .980. Or Benyamin Bailey, a 17-year-old OF who set an OBP record in the DSL. I'm curious how their careers play out. Can you share?

If you're talking about full-season players, Carlos Perez is a 22-year-old catcher at A+ who can both field the position and hit.

Maybe you just meant next season.

Well, four outfielders made the transition to AA this year. Rutherford, Basabe and Adolfo are 22; Gonzalez is 23. Basabe and Gonzalez can play center. None of them are going to be able to beat out the Palka/Cordell/Tilson types for a cameo with the 2020 club?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:47 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
Vaughn should be at AA.
I doubt he starts the season at AA. He's on the Madrigal plan, just one year behind. He'll start the season at A+, and assuming he holds his own, will be in line for an early-season promotion.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:50 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post
There are 58 position players aged 20 or younger in the system, several of whom are already on our top 30. That doesn't count Johnabiell Laureano, an 18-year-old CF who slugged .980. Or Benyamin Bailey, a 17-year-old OF who set an OBP record in the DSL. I'm curious how their careers play out. Can you share?

If you're talking about full-season players, Carlos Perez is a 22-year-old catcher at A+ who can both field the position and hit.

Maybe you just meant next season.

Well, four outfielders made the transition to AA this year. Rutherford, Basabe and Adolfo are 22; Gonzalez is 23. Basabe and Gonzalez can play center. None of them are going to be able to beat out the Palka/Cordell/Tilson types for a cameo with the 2020 club?
There's very little chance that Rutherford, Basabe, Adolfo or Gonzalez plays a game with the 2020 club. None of them have shown that they are close to being ready. Not saying they'll never be ready, but it's not going to be in 2020.

But I don't really think this is a bad thing. They're going to breaking in at least three rookies next season (Robert, Madrigal, and Collins), with another 1-2 having a chance to get some time (Mercedes, even Sheets). 3-4 rookies is a lot to be bringing up in a single season.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:15 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
There's very little chance that Rutherford, Basabe, Adolfo or Gonzalez plays a game with the 2020 club. None of them have shown that they are close to being ready. Not saying they'll never be ready, but it's not going to be in 2020.

But I don't really think this is a bad thing. They're going to breaking in at least three rookies next season (Robert, Madrigal, and Collins), with another 1-2 having a chance to get some time (Mercedes, even Sheets). 3-4 rookies is a lot to be bringing up in a single season.

The one thing about Basabe is that I believe he'll be out of options at the start of the 2021 season. So, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him up some time next year if he looks half way decent at AAA to start the season. They have more time with the other OF guys. Adolfo doesn't run out of options until the 2022 season and Rutherford doesn't even need to be added to the 40-man until this fall.
Old 09-19-2019, 06:01 PM
WSI Prelate

The good news is that Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Giolito and Cease (soon) are really good. They just don't have much else around them.

The lack of walks has been a problem for most seasons since KW took over in 2001, and it's only gotten worse under Hahn. It's disappointing because a reasonable expectation was for a modern GM to have improved things like OBP. Last in the league in walks this season. (the pitchers walk way too many too). And the power numbers are well below par.
The batting average is 9th in MLB; but that doesn't go very far when you don't walk and have little power.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:49 PM
WSI Prelate

I don’t really care about increasing walk totals. If it happens as a byproduct of pitchers trying to avoid throwing hittable pitches because our hitters are doing damage, then that’s fine with me.

For instance, I don’t want Moncada to go back to his 2018 form, when he was walking more but hitting a lot less.

The poor walk totals, low power totals, and low run production, come chiefly from our abysmal RF and DH situations. CF and 2B have been below average as well. Just getting league average production from four positions, instead of below average from two and horrible from two, will do wonders.
The universe is the practical joke of the General at the expense of the Particular, quoth Frater Perdurabo, and laughed. The disciples nearest him wept, seeing the Universal Sorrow. Others laughed, seeing the Universal Joke. Others wept. Others laughed. Others wept because they couldn't see the Joke, and others laughed lest they should be thought not to see the Joke. But though FRATER laughed openly, he wept secretly; and really he neither laughed nor wept. Nor did he mean what he said.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:34 PM
WSI Church Elder

Strasburg is someone that I'd love for the sox to sign if he opts out (which he most likely will). He'll be cheaper than Cole, and I don't think the Nats will resign him (given their current commitments and the likelihood they do sign Rendon).

6 years, in the neighborhood of $180 million will probably sign him. He's 31, but he could be a top guy for a few years, and a veteran presence for his tenure. And he's been really good in the playoffs. He could be our version of the Lester signing.
Old 09-20-2019, 06:03 AM
WSI Personality

Sun Times article about how Yolmer might not be brought back next year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...r-sanchez-2020
Old 09-20-2019, 06:52 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:

If they’re keeping Madrigal down for 2 weeks, then save the money. If they’re keeping Madrigal down for 2 months, then pay Yolmer.

Yolmer also provides a level of security against injuries. Look at how badly the team suffered when TA and Moncada missed time. Obviously Yolmer doesn’t replace their bats, but at least he contributes great defense and the ability to lay down Ricky’s stupid bunts.

It’s an expensive luxury, but if we’re limiting ourselves to a Pirates/Royals/Brewers/Indians level of payroll anyway, then we may as well keep Yolmer and hope his bat gets back to previous levels.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:02 AM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
If they’re keeping Madrigal down for 2 weeks, then save the money. If they’re keeping Madrigal down for 2 months, then pay Yolmer.

Yolmer also provides a level of security against injuries. Look at how badly the team suffered when TA and Moncada missed time. Obviously Yolmer doesn’t replace their bats, but at least he contributes great defense and the ability to lay down Ricky’s stupid bunts.

It’s an expensive luxury, but if we’re limiting ourselves to a Pirates/Royals/Brewers/Indians level of payroll anyway, then we may as well keep Yolmer and hope his bat gets back to previous levels.

Are we?

In 2011, the Sox payroll was 7th in the league. This year, the Pirates, Royals, and Indians payroll isn't even close to league average. The Brewers are slightly below league average.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

I have my concerns too about this team's willingness to spend what's needed like the big boys, but I see no reason to believe they'll be stuck at Pirates/Royals/Indians territory. Maybe the Brewers - but I don't think that's a given.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:13 AM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandman View Post
Strasburg is someone that I'd love for the sox to sign if he opts out (which he most likely will). He'll be cheaper than Cole, and I don't think the Nats will resign him (given their current commitments and the likelihood they do sign Rendon).

6 years, in the neighborhood of $180 million will probably sign him. He's 31, but he could be a top guy for a few years, and a veteran presence for his tenure. And he's been really good in the playoffs. He could be our version of the Lester signing.
I'd be down with Strasburg. My only apprehension with him is his health.
Old 09-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Soda Jerk/U.P.W./Lester Pooh Bear

Quote:

They might offer Yolmer some 3-4 year extension at $4M per or something and see if he bites. I could see them doing that both for stability and as a reward. He. Has to know his days of starting are through as soon as Madrigal gets here, so he might want to test the FA waters to see if someone will pay him starter money.

Riding shotgun on the Sox bandwagon since before there was an Internet...