And away we go...

Welcome
Go Back   White Sox Interactive Forums > Baseball Discussions > Sox Clubhouse
Home Chat Stats Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmen77
Question: what is the purpose of this type of move? I'm not passing judgement on the transaction....I don't know anything about Tocci. I'm just curious about why select a player that you just flip for cash?

Again, I'm not criticizing the move, I'm just curious as to why such a trade would take place.....as opposed to selecting someone they were interested in keeping in the organization.
My only guess is that our Rule 5 slot was much higher than the slot the Rangers had, and the Rangers didnít want to risk losing the player?
Old 12-14-2017, 02:33 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C White View Post
Probably the same reason the Phillies did it with Burdi one pick earlier. The Pirates contacted them and asked if they would select Burdi. The Pirates wanted him but knew the Sox would take him and he would not be available. So they asked the Phillies to pick him and made a deal with them. Assume that the Rangers wanted this guy and called around to find out who would be willing to take him with an early pick (perhaps they knew or suspected someone else ahead of them wanted him) and made an offer. Doesn't benefit the Sox a lot but doesn't cause any harm to take the money and create a little good feeling between a potential trade partner of the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chez View Post
Sounds like the Rangers wanted Tocci (and Sox didn't) and were afraid he would be off the board by the time their draft slot came up so they essentially paid the Sox to take Tocci for the Rangers (Sox had a higher pick in the draft than the Rangers). Just a guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoney View Post
My only guess is that our Rule 5 slot was much higher than the slot the Rangers had, and the Rangers didnít want to risk losing the player?
Thanks!
Old 12-14-2017, 06:50 PM
WSI Prelate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdivaldi View Post
Imagine that. I guess the front office might know a wee bit more about their organization than the commenters in the balcony.
No one picked them. We'll see what they do with all of the 40 man room now.
357-453

Last edited by Tragg; 12-14-2017 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:05 PM
WSI Church Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tragg View Post
No one picked them. We'll see what they do with all of the 40 man room now.
357-453
Yes, Tim McCarver, that's how it works. Rick Hahn made a call about who to leave unprotected and he was right - no one picked them.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:10 PM
Chief Skeptic and 2015 Preseason Predictions Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSox2K3 View Post
I was told on WSI that Jordan Guerrero, Tito Polo, and perhaps others were as good as GONE thanks to Rick Hahn's incompetence when it comes to the 40-man roster.
Guerrero was on the top of some lists of draft-eligible players.

I'm happy the Sox didn't lose anyone, but the Sox had several free spots on the 40-man, so they didn't even have to expose Guerrero, Polo, and Peter. What pissed me off is that they protected deadwood relievers (who they have already non-tendered!) instead of prospects. There was basically no downside to protecting those players.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:19 PM
WSI Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica View Post

I'm happy the Sox didn't lose anyone, but the Sox had several free spots on the 40-man, so they didn't even have to expose Guerrero, Polo, and Peter. What pissed me off is that they protected deadwood relievers (who they have already non-tendered!) instead of prospects. There was basically no downside to protecting those players.
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, there was a downside to protecting those players that we don't know about because we don't work at the top level of the White Sox front office.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 PM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Cavatica

We gain an extra year of team control on all those players by not having to use an option year.
Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM
WSI High Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplodingScorbord View Post
Or maybe, and I'm just spitballing here, there was a downside to protecting those players that we don't know about because we don't work at the top level of the White Sox front office.
Impossible!

www.twitter.com/jasonrosko